Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter

I was under the belief that it's because Disney aren't enforcing a must have on it, because they enter a America exclusivity on it at the moment

Adam

Quote from: "Alan"I have a question. Has Toy Story Playland actually increase attendance at the Walt Disney Studios park since it opened in August 2010?

I read that, a reason that Disney have gone off the idea of bringing Star Tours 2 to Disneyland Paris is because it didn't actually increase attendance at the American parks. Sure, it created an initial spike of interest, but it didn't really change anything in the long run.

Figures for 2010 have been released - but take them with a pinch of salt, as they are not very accurate. Here is the link to dlp.info, which has the figures and also how they are wrong: http://www.dlp.info/News/2011/06/2010-v ... -from-tea/

In summary, the numbers are up, but this may not be right.

Sully

I've just visited for the first time since TSPL was built.

I know what people mean about the rides being essentially themed funfair attractions, but they've done them very nicely.  As someone else has said, Dumbo, Magic Carpets, Orbitron etc are all just nicely themed versions of exactly the same ride and there are always big queues on those!

I really enjoyed TSPL, even though I just went on RC.  I loved the theming.  The Knex fences, the RC queue being a Scalectrix track and the huge models of Buzz and Rex made for some great photo opportunities.

Of course there is only a limited amount of money for new attractions, maybe cutting a few costs and doing TSPL on a tight budget has allowed them to spend a bit more on the new Ratatouille area.

Rafael

Quote from: "Sully"I've just visited for the first time since TSPL was built.

I know what people mean about the rides being essentially themed funfair attractions, but they've done them very nicely.  As someone else has said, Dumbo, Magic Carpets, Orbitron etc are all just nicely themed versions of exactly the same ride and there are always big queues on those!

I really enjoyed TSPL, even though I just went on RC.  I loved the theming.  The Knex fences, the RC queue being a Scalectrix track and the huge models of Buzz and Rex made for some great photo opportunities.

Of course there is only a limited amount of money for new attractions, maybe cutting a few costs and doing TSPL on a tight budget has allowed them to spend a bit more on the new Ratatouille area.

I couldnĀ“t agree more!  :D

Josh

Yeah, I guess maybe I should give it more credit than I do. The Toon Studio is the Studio's equivalent of Fantasyland -- it's where all of the animation films are, so you made a good point. :)

The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't even try to fit into the overall Studios theme. The area sticks out like a sore thumb in a place where everything you see is meant to be controlled.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

ed-uk

The Art of Disney Animation fits into the studios theme quite well though, it tells us a bit about making an animation film. Toon Studio is also the place where the toons come to life, Toy story, Nemo and Cars, that's what we're ment to think and I can except it on that level, just like I can except Fantasyland and fairytales. When I was last in ths studios that part of the park was so popular, in the past people have left the park well before closing time to go Disneyland, now they want to stay in the studios longer it seemed to me. Toon Studio is just away for Disney to introduce their characters into the park, it doesn't help make it look like a real film studios, which it is not.
Ed & David

Josh

Quote from: "ed-uk"Toon Studio is just away for Disney to introduce their characters into the park, it doesn't help make it look like a real film studios, which it is not.
Not a real studio, but it is meant to be a Toon Studio, not a second Fantasyland. :) It's meant to seem as though they're filming scenes for Cars, Finding Nemo, etc. But Toy Story Playland doesn't fit with that at all.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

DopeyDad

True, but perhaps it doesn't fit in to a concept that has already failed.
neither ToT or Stitch Live fit the 'how it's made' studio idea but they're two very successful additions.
I'm actually glad TSPL departs from the working studio idea, and I'd rather they had never started it as it's perhaps too restrictive. That mistake (IMHO) having been made, I think the only way forward is for DLP to move on and broaden the idea. It still needs to somehow find a 'whole', a sense of being that can run throughout it but a working studio I don't think it will be (and maybe never was).
I love the idea of seeing how movies are made and there should be more of it, but that idea i think will always be perhaps too narrow to make WDS successful in either commercial or creative terms.

Josh

In the case of ToT, though, it fits because it's set in Hollywood. It's not meant to be a film set in Hollywood, but an actual place.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

lorrig

OK, I'm writing this as a Mum of 2 young children and whether you like it or not families like ours do count for a large percentage of visitors to DLP. We took our daughter when she was 17 months to WDS pre TSPL and to be honest there were very few attractions for us to do as a family - Cars, Margic Carpets and Playhouse Disney. We went back a year later and we could add Slinky Dog to the list. She loved TSPL and yes she could only go on one of the rides but she loved the theme. It meant something to her and she recognised the characters. Maybe it doesn't increase the number of visitors to the park by a huge number but I bet a lot of the visitors with young children will stay longer once there. Do I worry that it's not quite fitting with the general theme- not a dicky bird. It's bright, colourful and we had fun as a family. Yes the rides should have been capable of higher capacities but as we only ever go in November - shock, horror, I really don't care!!!

ed-uk

Other than Toon Studio, I can't see how Disney could introduce some of their popular toon characters and valuable film franchises into the park. I think Disney would say that TSPL takes us into a scene from the film, rather than showing us how a cartoon film is made, the Art of Disney Animation has more to do with that.
Ed & David

ulak

My favorite list of TSPL attraction:

1. RC Racer (great, but short)
2. Parachute Drops (nice, but short)
3. Slinky Dog (boring and short)

:)
[size=85](sorry for my bad english, thank You!)[/size]

Thaliel

Bever did RC Racer, as I am sure it would make me throw up. Slinky Dog is just a tiny bumpy thing that I have no interest in. But the parachutes are actually a lot of fun, and you have a nice view from the top, even my mother, who is having a bad back, has no problems with them, as they are just the right speed and the breaks go very smooth
<-Plz click

Twinkleybelle

What are the waiting times like for the TSPL Rides in Oct on at weekend?

CinderellaSparkle

Can anyone give me a bit of advice about the Toy Story rides? I get motion sickness quite badly for things that spin around etc.. Are any of the rides there like that? Just want to know which ones to avoid!! Many thanks!