Ashtray solution mock-up

Started by pussinboots, June 23, 2008, 04:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

Yes yes, I've mentioned it three times already... The smoking thing just gets on my nerves (although according to one vintage Camel ad, smoking really helps with that). But for the heck of it, and because I have far too much free time, here's what I imagined they could do to cover up all those ashtrays and send out a subtle, friendly message that smoking is to be done elsewhere. Inspired by the "recycle please" stickers at DL. It would be temporary, of course, until the old trash cans are phased out. What do you think? Too obtrusive?

MizzRabbit

That's adorable. Very cute and subtle. Nice idea!

My Disneypics gallery]http://public.fotki.com/MizzRabbit/[/url]
Use password]

Kristof

You need to put it in Spanish as well...

pussinboots

Quote from: "raptor1982"You need to put it in Spanish as well...

Why, are they the worst offenders? That would be "Gracias por no fumar", I guess...

Anthony

I love it. It's much nicer to say "Thank you for not smoking".

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "raptor1982"You need to put it in Spanish as well...
Why, are they the worst offenders? That would be "Gracias por no fumar", I guess...
Not sure if they smoke the most, but they certainly seem to care less about other people when they do. Most British people would stand away from the crowd to smoke, but with Spanish guests it seems to be a case of "how much smoke can I get in your face before the parade begins". Not that I mean to generalise or anything...

Send this to DLRP, please!

never2old

I think the problem is that there are a lot more Spanish visitors than from anywhere else, so it seems that they're the worst offenders... Personally I found that the French were more inconsiderate when it came to smoking... of course being Spanish myself, I'm a bit biased  :roll:

And yes, it should be "Gracias for no fumar"

Love your idea pussinboots  :D !

Getyogrooveon

Looks good, but my problem with this will be that people will still smoke, even though it is banned, and then they will come to the bin (those that bother), find no ashtray and either chuck the end on the floor or worse still in the bin causing a fire potentially. I speak as a (very recent) ex-smoker who up until a few weeks ago would not be told by anyone that I couldn't smoke in an outdoor space - although at DLRP I would never smoke in queues or in the parade crowds, I would always hang around one of these bins away from others.
"Eveything is automatic - this is Disney" [CM on the rollercoaster simulator in the Studios - Nov 2004]

05.92 Newport Bay
09.01 Santa Fe
11.03 Cheyenne
11.05 Sequoia Lodge
11.06 Cheyenne
11.07 Cheyenne
12.08 Cheyenne
08.10 Saratoga Springs - Walt Disney World
11.10 Cheyenne

Kristof

Quote from: "never2old"I think the problem is that there are a lot more Spanish visitors than from anywhere else, so it seems that they're the worst offenders... Personally I found that the French were more inconsiderate when it came to smoking... of course being Spanish myself, I'm a bit biased  :roll:

And yes, it should be "Gracias for no fumar"

Love your idea pussinboots  :D !

There are still less Spanish people in the parks than the Brits and the French.  The reason why I said to have it in Spanish as well is because a lot of Spanish people don't understand French or English, compared to other countries in Europe.  So often they're the ones that "break" the rules faster, simply because they don't understand what's allowed.  So no hard feelings towards the Spanish friends, just helping them out!  :D

Stitch

I got very cross about smoking on my recent trip to DLRP. The amount of parents that smoke right next to their children and even right over their babies in prams was disgusting!

I thought about having a t-shirt made up which said "If you're smoking near children, shame on you" or "Smoking in my face really offends me, does this t-shirt offend you?" or "Smoking = Stupid" and on the back "Yes that means you!"

Oooo it does annoy me when I'm forced to breathe it! :evil:
-Jenn@

pussinboots

The problem with adding Spanish is of course that once you add that, it's really not fair to exclude German, Dutch and Italian, and there's no room for all that on my little hypothetical sticker.

With just English and French, you have one Germanic language and one Romance language, so most Europeans should be able to transliterate it. "Ne pas fumer", "no fumar"...It ought to ring home, right?

And yes, some people will still be smoking anywhere, causing small fires etc. There isn't a sticker big enough to stop them. But it is my little belief that most DLRP guests simply don't know that they shouldn't be smoking everywhere -- and covering up the ashtrays (which are found on ALL trash cans at DLRP, to the consternation of many people from overseas) might help them understand.

I once accidentally hit a British woman while trying to signal to a French woman that I didn't appreciate her continuous flow of smoke into my face as we were waiting for the fireworks. The violence must end, haha.

Kristof

QuoteThe problem with adding Spanish is of course that once you add that, it's really not fair to exclude German, Dutch and Italian

That's not true.  Research at the resort have indicated that people from those countries are more likely to understand (a few words) French or English, while most Spanish guests don't.  I'm not making this stuff up...  :)

Stitch

Hmm... What about a purely pictoral sign then?
-Jenn@

A Happy Dream

The good thing about portuguese guests is that most of them speak more than our mother language; english, french and spanish. We start learning one language (english) on elementary school, and once we are finishing high school we have studied also french and spanish. I don't know why this kind of education is not applied in other european countries, but I think it would be a great idea if students from other countries have the opportunity to learn other languages. After all portuguese and spanish are two of the world's most widely spoken languages.

never2old

Quote from: "raptor1982"
QuoteThe problem with adding Spanish is of course that once you add that, it's really not fair to exclude German, Dutch and Italian

That's not true.  Research at the resort have indicated that people from those countries are more likely to understand (a few words) French or English, while most Spanish guests don't.  I'm not making this stuff up...  :)

I have to agree with raptor there.... Although some of us do speak more than 1 language, most spanish people speak just the one... we do learn English in school, but let's face it, if you never use a language, you forget it!

Quote from: "Stitch"Hmm... What about a purely pictoral sign then?

Yes, and make it big, and put it everywhere!!! So that there's no doubt in anyone's mind that smoking is NOT allowed!!!

luke85

i think that sticker's awesome! maybe have a different character depending on where the bin is? the language thing is a bit of an issue, but elsewhere in the park the bi-lingual signage tends to be French and English, maybe that's standard in DLP?