Rock 'n' Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith - new light show!

Started by RnRCj, May 21, 2008, 08:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RnRCj

When I rode Rock n Roller Coaster last March, for the first time ever I was just 'slightly' disappointed. Now, I never thought I'd ever say "Rock n Roller Coaster" and "disappointed" in the same sentence, but unfortunately that's the case. :shock:

If anyone here rode RnRC back when it opened, you might remember that there were loads of lights, really loud bassy music, and smoke machines almost filling the whole building. It created a really "awesome" experience, and it was those things that got me addicted to the ride.

However, when I rode it last March I noticed that the quality of the attraction seems to have changed quite a lot. First of all, the music is definitely not as loud and bassy as it has been before, and the audio doesn't work more often now. Secondly, the lights - There aren't as many now. I don't know whether they're broken or just not working for some other reason, but it really subtracts from the experience. Finally, and what I believe it the most disappointing thing, is the lack of smoke. The smoke is what can change RnRC from a "good" ride to an "amazing" ride. When I last rode it, there was no smoke whatsoever and this caused you to be able to see all the track and the walls of the building really clearly.

I don't know whether these effects are broken, or if the CM's just don't want to put them into action. But the lack of all these things that the ride originally had has made RnRC just a "good" ride now for me. If all these effects returned, then RnRC would become my favourite attraction once again. But for now, my favourite ride will be Tower Of Terror.

I've created this topic so I can hear other people's opinions on this. I expect some of you will have noticed no difference to the ride, but to a huge fan like me, the differences are quite major.

I also want people to give the latest updates from Rock n Roller Coaster here, saying if the smoke machines are working and if the music quality is good etc.

I hope you've all made it to the end of this post without falling asleep. :lol:

Nicholas-c

Indeed i do think it needs some work done too it, Subwoofers are delicate parts of kit and sadly they wont last long in a rollercoaster which is why the loud shaky bass noises have gone and its a little more "echoy"

Smoke, maybe they just cant be bothered ? or maybe they realised the rollercoaster was on fire or something ? :P

Im not sure how the controls work, but it might be that, one CM might have all the effects or something turned on and another might be more controlled about it all
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

RnRCj

Quote from: "Nicholas-c"Indeed i do think it needs some work done too it, Subwoofers are delicate parts of kit and sadly they wont last long in a rollercoaster which is why the loud shaky bass noises have gone and its a little more "echoy"

Smoke, maybe they just cant be bothered ? or maybe they realised the rollercoaster was on fire or something ? :P

Im not sure how the controls work, but it might be that, one CM might have all the effects or something turned on and another might be more controlled about it all

I think it might be the CM's too. When I went in November 2006 there was no smoke, few lights, and the music quality in most of the soundtrackers was quite bad (Apart from Soundtracker 1, which for some reason at that time had the best music quality I've ever heard :shock:). However, when I went in September 2007, there was quite a lot of smoke and most of the lights seemed to be working. The only thing that wasn't too good was the music quality. :?

Either the ride had some sort of refurb during the time between my two visits, or the CMs were feeling much nicer in Sept 2007. I think the second option is more likely, since I don't recall any refurb on the ride between my two visits.

So yes, maybe it is down to who is working on the ride on the day...

Anthony

The smoke was turned off a few years ago because apparently the dry ice can make the floor or emergency escapes a bit slippery. It then returned fairly recently and seems to be much more regular. It's never as thick as it used to be, but I've seen it on most rides recently. Maybe it's on/off throughout the day, so the floor has chance to dry or something? It does seem strange dry ice would do that.

It's generally doing a bit better these days than say 2 or 3 years ago, but there do seem to be fewer lights. I'm not sure if that's just my imagination. The ones at the end still blind me.

Music is usually pretty good, not exactly "loud" but better than SM. I've maybe had 1 in 10 rides without sound, compared to about 1 in 3 or even 1 in 2 at SMM2.

Still a great ride every time though, and really surprisingly popular on DLRP Review. It constantly gets 9 and 10 stars (as you'll be pleased to know RNRCj :wink: ).

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Baloo"The smoke was turned off a few years ago because apparently the dry ice can make the floor or emergency escapes a bit slippery. It then returned fairly recently and seems to be much more regular. It's never as thick as it used to be, but I've seen it on most rides recently. Maybe it's on/off throughout the day, so the floor has chance to dry or something? It does seem strange dry ice would do that.

It's very VERY strange, being a thespian I've racked my brains on how as you point out Baloo dry ice is that very thing... Dry! Its creation is that of a cloud therefore a dense gas. The only thing I've seen dry ice do is create a cough, and I've worked on stage with it being pumped in 20 minutes before the curtain went up...

RnRCj

Quote from: "Baloo"The smoke was turned off a few years ago because apparently the dry ice can make the floor or emergency escapes a bit slippery. It then returned fairly recently and seems to be much more regular. It's never as thick as it used to be, but I've seen it on most rides recently. Maybe it's on/off throughout the day, so the floor has chance to dry or something? It does seem strange dry ice would do that.

I've also heard that it is something to do with the track and emergency escapes getting slippery. In fact, I rode RnRC once with the smoke machines on, but when I came off and went to ride again the ride was closed. I came back about an hour later and it was open again, but there was no more smoke - They must have cleared it out for some reason. Fortunately they had it on again the next day though. :)

Quote from: "Baloo"It's generally doing a bit better these days than say 2 or 3 years ago, but there do seem to be fewer lights. I'm not sure if that's just my imagination. The ones at the end still blind me.
I don't think it is your imagination because I think the same. :lol: I've posted 2 on-ride videos below - One of them is RnRC is back in 2002, when the effects were all working. The other is from this year. You can see that there were a lot more lights in 2002 than there are now.

2002 - the on-ride part starts at about 3:57...
[youtube:3udtymsl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIPorBQxvoM[/youtube:3udtymsl]

[youtube:3udtymsl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6cT04NseP4[/youtube:3udtymsl]

See the difference?

Quote from: "Baloo"Music is usually pretty good, not exactly "loud" but better than SM. I've maybe had 1 in 10 rides without sound, compared to about 1 in 3 or even 1 in 2 at SMM2.
Yes, I have to admit, the music quality is not as bad as I made it seem. Although it's still not as good as it was when the ride opened.

Quote from: "Baloo"Still a great ride every time though, and really surprisingly popular on DLRP Review. It constantly gets 9 and 10 stars (as you'll be pleased to know RNRCj :wink: ).

I'm surprised that it's rated higher than Tower Of Terror. :shock:

mehdi5

I still think the ride is awesome, but i wouldn't mind for it to be closed for a few days or so to fix the effects.

arno-hh

Hi,
I don't know if you are right with the light effects...
I recognized, that some soundtrackers have a light show with fewer effects than others.
I think the two videos are from two different light shows, so it's possible that you see fewer effects on the one, but that this is normal!
I hope you understand what i mean :-) I don't say you are wrong, but maybe this is one more reason for light shows with fewer effects....

I think the smoke was one of the best things in Rock'n'Roller coaster... But are you sure its dry ice they use to create the smoke? Isn't dry Ice quite expensive? I think it's cheaper to use fog machines with some kind of special smoke-water (fog-fluid)...

bye
Arno

Captain Pan

Quote from: "arno-hh"Hi,
I recognized, that some soundtrackers have a light show with fewer effects than others.
I think the two videos are from two different light shows, so it's possible that you see fewer effects on the one, but that this is normal!
I hope you understand what i mean :-) I don't say you are wrong, but maybe this is one more reason for light shows with fewer effects....

I think the smoke was one of the best things in Rock'n'Roller coaster... But are you sure its dry ice they use to create the smoke? Isn't dry Ice quite expensive? I think it's cheaper to use fog machines with some kind of special smoke-water (fog-fluid)...

bye
Arno

I believe the substances are the same...

arno-hh

Quote from: "Captain Pan"I believe the substances are the same...

Wikipedia says that dry ice is very cold carbon dioxide (-79 °C) and that dry ice isn't used quite often today. I also found out, that the fog from dry ice is just to have smoke on the ground (because it's so cold). So I am very sure it's not dry ice they use ;-) blablabla.... ;-)
But back to the topic!

I also think that the ride is more bumpy then in its early days...

bye
Arno

Nicholas-c

Quote from: "arno-hh"
Quote from: "Captain Pan"I also think that the ride is more bumpy then in its early days...

That would just be "Wear and tear" because its older, the steel isn't as smooth bolts and slightly looser than originally (but still tight :P (i hope)) and possibly joints connecting wheels to the trains etc
July 2009 - All alone

Kristof

The one in Florida was pretty bumpy, almost as bumpy as our Space Mountain, but that's Vekoma I guess...

Smoke worked last month for sure.

RnRCj

Quote from: "arno-hh"Hi,

I don't think it does depend on which Soundtracker you ride. The only thing that changes is the colours of the lights, not the amount of lights.

Quote from: "arno-hh"I also think that the ride is more bumpy then in its early days...

It is slightly more bumpy, but not uncomfortably bumpy at all. I'd still consider it smooth.

Quote from: "raptor1982"Smoke worked last month for sure.

That's good. Hopefully it'll start working more often. :roll:

Nicholas-c

Talking of RnRc there is a ride which has exactly the same layout...

Xpress it is called

http://rcdb.com/id769.htm

i might have to go and ride it too see what its like with lights :P
July 2009 - All alone

Maarten

Quote from: "Nicholas-c"Talking of RnRc there is a ride which has exactly the same layout...

Xpress it is called

i might have to go and ride it too see what its like with lights :P

Xpress (former Superman the Ride) is a rollercoaster in Walibi World, here in the Netherlands. Its a good ride but very slow at times, especially since there is not much to look at like at Rock n' RollerCoaster. Its quite obvious that this coaster has been designed with the Rock n' RollerCoaster package (theming, music, building etc) in mind. Big Thunder Mountain without the scenery would be lame too, I guess.  :wink:

Besides, another great aspect of Rock n' RollerCoaster is that they ride with multiple trains, while at Xpress they only operate with one or two trains at a time.