Accessibility — disability passes, questions, tips

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zesty

Hi, thanks for those who gave advice, o thought I would share my experience.

We had help at the airport with bags until we were less than 2mins away from the train station. We got our tickets using the machine (having watched how to on YouTube) and asked for disabled assistance. Btw you need to buy first class, we didn't and had to go in 1st class but was told to book 1st next time.
The train came and they put a ramp down, the floor in the train was then raised by them, wheeled on then lowered and put in the carriage. At the other end the reverse was one and they saw us through the station (pushing our suitcase for us) to the excit

Zesty

Does anyone know if you can have a sponsor for a disabled annual pass and so get the 10% off for being disabled and 10% off from being sponsored

NCC1701Q

Usually it is not possible to combine discounts.

Samanthad

Hi everyone,

I have been browsing previous posts on this thread but it appears that the passes have since changed a little and there haven't been many more posts since.

I just have a bit of confusion about the different coloured passes and what they do/how they work.

Personally, I have various mobility/joint problems and in my ignorance took to the park a doctors letter stating my condition, that I have chronic pain and that I am unable to stand for long periods of time. This meant that the CM issued me an orange card (not sure why, as I have a permanent disability). I also have an AP, and had this orange card issued at the AP office. It was only valid for my length of my current stay and I was told that I would need a new letter and need to come back on my next trip to get a new one (this is a little annoying as I often go for just the day and don't want to waste hours in the AP office each time).

It was from my understanding that if you had an AP you got issued a pass for the duration of your AP pass?
Was it because I was issued an orange pass that I couldn't do this. Was I supposed to be issued a different coloured pass?

Also, on my experience with the orange pass, the only way that I could use it was to be given a return time - usually an hour later and I could not make any other reservations until I had used the previous reservation. Is this the same for the other access passes?

My next trip is coming up and in order to get the correct/permanent pass for me, what do I have to bring? Is it better for me to take my disabled badge and if I do, do I need a letter too? (these are costing me £15 a pop at my GP!). Is there anything I need to state/ask for from the CM? As I fear my 'hidden' disability makes people judge my abilities which is really rather frustrating!

Thanks everyone!
Disneyland Paris: Santa Fe 2001, Newport Bay Club 2005, Offsite 2015, Offsite 2016, Hotel B&B Disneyland 2016, Santa Fe Christmas 2016, Offsite May 2017, Santa Fe July 2018, Offsite Sep 2018 1/2 Marathon.

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Magic 7 night Mediterranean Cruise 2017

Next Trip: July 2022

nathalie

Same thing for me.  I've been issued about 20 of these orange cards now in the past 5 years, they simply will not give me one for the lenght of my AP.

NCC1701Q

The orange cards (the EAC) are for non-permanent disabilities, such as a broken leg, broken arm) or a pregnancy.
They are almost never issued for longer than the period you're visiting.
To get a green card (DPC) the letter from your GP needs to state (in the most definitive terms, to avoid any discussion with the CM) that your condition is permanent and will not improve anymore.

I have had this same issue for three yeard (having had two hernia-surgeries leaving me with severe backproblems) and the last time I got a EAC I just asked the CM to explain to me (actually I had to ask four times) why the EAC could not be a DPC. The CM even told me "why are you not in a wheelchair" and "if you would roll into the BPA in a wheelchair you would get a DPC without any discussion").

When I got home I asked my GP to add another line to her letter, stating the permanent character of my medical condition. That helped a lot - the last two years I got a DPC (last time even for the 18 months of the paid extension).

lawleypop2011

I would like to book a large family holiday for next year and my mum would be coming who uses a wheelchair for longer distances.  I would need to book a disabled room for her, can someone tell me how many people a disabled room takes at Sequoia Lodge and Newport bay and also do these rooms have raised toilets and walk in showers as she would really need this.  Any other tips for taking someone in a wheelchair would be appreciated, I have been twice before but never with mum.  Many thanks.

juttawdw

sequoia lodge sleeps 7.
4 in one room 2 double beds and a normal bathroom.
the other room sleeps 3 a songle bed and a bunkbed, an adapted bathroom with roll in shower and raised toilet.
new port bay has a 4 person room and a bath in the bathroom.
take dr notes that can;t walk long distance due to .... or a blue badge she can get a green pass which gives her and 4 others access thru another line usally the exit so she doesn't has to wait in a long line.

lawleypop2011

Quote from: juttawdw on May 01, 2017, 06:17:34 PM
sequoia lodge sleeps 7.
4 in one room 2 double beds and a normal bathroom.
the other room sleeps 3 a songle bed and a bunkbed, an adapted bathroom with roll in shower and raised toilet.
new port bay has a 4 person room and a bath in the bathroom.
take dr notes that can;t walk long distance due to .... or a blue badge she can get a green pass which gives her and 4 others access thru another line usally the exit so she doesn't has to wait in a long line.

That's great many thanks, looks like Sequoia's bathrooms would be better for mum with the raised toilet and roll in shower, just a shame it only sleeps 3 and has a bunkbed as was hoping it would be 2 double beds   :'(

juttawdw

lawleypop2011

Quote from: juttawdw on May 01, 2017, 06:25:02 PM
it is booked as a room for 7

There are 6 of us but because there are 4 adults, 2 men and 2 women (one is mum) and 2 kids, aged 10 and 11 (boy and girl), I think we will need 3 rooms or I hoped the females could be in one room and the males in another but I don't think I could sleep on a bunkbed as my mum would have the single bed lol.  I really appreciate your quick replies.

juttawdw

that is also an option, the wheelchair doesn't go from one room to the other so when i go my husband and i has to sleep apart really annoying.

lawleypop2011

Quote from: juttawdw on May 01, 2017, 06:53:27 PM
that is also an option, the wheelchair doesn't go from one room to the other so when i go my husband and i has to sleep apart really annoying.

That is annoying but I think I'd quite like some peace from my hubby snoring and teeth grinding  :D

juttawdw

TInkus

Hi, We're returning to DLP in November, this time though for the first time my Husband will have a Blue Badge, a hip op went wrong and he has trouble walking and standing, My 17 year old son has also been diagnosed with ASC (Aspergers, one thing that upsets him is being in enclosed crowded places) We'll be taking along his 18yr old friend too.
My question is would it be likely for us to be able to get 2 access cards? one for my husband and one for my son, just incase we decide to split up for a couple of hours or so. It would be nice to give my son a little bit of independence whilst in the park (his friend would be his helper). He has to active all the time but my Husband needs to rest at regular intervals.
Thank you in advance for any help 
2004 - Santa Fe, DLP
2005 - Cheyenne, DLP
2005 - Sequoia Lodge, DLP
2006 - Sequoia Lodge, DLP
2007 - Newport Bay, DLP
2009 - Sequoia Lodge, DLP
2010 - WDW, FL
2013 - Sequoia Lodge, DLP
Nov 2015 - Sequoia Lodge, DLP
Nov 2017 ----