Michael Eisner receiving star on Hollywood Walk of Fame

Started by Remco K., May 03, 2008, 04:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remco K.

QuoteMovie mogul and former Disney CEO Michael Eisner will be honored Friday with the 2,361st star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

The 11:30 a.m. ceremony will be attended by Eisner, Hollywood Chamber of Commerce President/CEO Leron Gubler, Walt Disney Co. President and CEO Bob Iger and actor John Travolta.

His star will join other Disney figures already in place on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (please comment if we've missed one): Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Walt Disney, Roy Disney and Snow White.

Be sure to suggest in comments what other Disney executives, stars and characters you think should be given stars on the famous Hollywood walk.

(Image is a Register file photo taken of Eisner at Disneyland's 50th anniversary celebration.)
Source: Around Disney

I noticed a discussion on MiceChat were sometimes the opinions are very harse. One member even seems to like the idea of Michael Eisner dying (which is a sick 'wish' if you ask me).

But we shouldn't forget it's the same Michael Eisner who saved The Walt Disney Company in the eighties.

So, congratulations, Michael!

Anthony

I've got to congratulate him too.

For all the bad things that happened to Disney during his reign (horrible sequels, cheap theme parks, some failed projects), the Disney of today just wouldn't have happened without him.  Before he joined there was no Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast.  Crucially, no Euro Disney.

In many ways I think the commercial failure of Euro Disney was something that really began his downfall. After that, he soon no longer wanted Disney to overspend to ensure a better end project (DCA, WDS), many of the "Disney Decade" projects fell through and the company always looked at ways to make a cheap dollar (Cinderella 2, etc). A few great things did still break through (POTC films, perhaps Narnia, DisneySea, even Animal Kingdom) toward the end, but by the time he left, he was more than ready. He'd outstayed his welcome. If Disney wanted to survive, it needed Pixar - and they didn't want him.

But for throwing business sense out of window when they continued ploughing million after million into making Euro Disney so incredible, I salute him. :wink:

Maarten

Indeed, his last years at Disney where quite harmfull, but together with Frank Wells he has done a lot of great things (makes you think who really deserves the star  :wink: ). But like Baloo said, the current Disney wouldn't have exsisted without him. Before Disney, he had a great trackrecord too, so from that perspective I understand why Hollywood salutes him. I still won't forgive him for cheapening Disney during his last years though, but well... since Pixar joined Disney, most themeparks-on-the-cheap are adressed, the Disney Stores are being bought back and Disney has stopped making cheap sequels etc, the mess that Eisner left behind seems to be reduced after all.