Disney Name Changes

Started by a.newton, March 25, 2008, 06:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a.newton

I've been wondering where to post this, but I think this will be OK and hope it hasn't been done before!

I was thinking about the old names, 3 mainly.

First Euro Disney. I went there when they were still using that name; I don't remember thinking that much about it at the time but when they changed it to Disneyland, Paris I thought that was much nicer. I have to admit, I have never liked Disneyland Resort Paris quite as much, but it's obviously good marketing, it just doesn't flow quite as well as Disneyland, Paris!

Then there was "Lake Buena Vista". I always found that a bit strange, it didn't sit well with the European image and sounded too American/South American and I was quite pleased when it was changed to Lake Disney.

As for "Festival Disney", I did not really like that one at all, it seemed all wrong! I don't know what underlying meaning was, but it didn't really tell you what was there. Disney Village is much better but maybe that will have to change as it gets bigger.

Can anyone else think of any other name changes? What do you think of the above three?

-breeno-

I think WDS changed from Walt Disney Studios to Walt Disney Studios Park, yeah not a big difference but still :P

I do know though there was going to be Disney MGM Studios Paris but because of money and other things they didnt make it but now we know it as WDS :D
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

15MagicalYears

Disneyland Paris IS called Disneyland RESORT Paris, we just prefer to abriviate it! :D

Owain

What ever the name change people still call it Euro Disney  :evil:
Mind you i still call Disneyland Resort, Disneyland :P

Javey74

Quote from: "a.newton"I was thinking about the old names, 3 mainly.

There has only been 3 names used in total.  :)

Euro Disney, Disneyland Paris, Disneyland Resort Paris

Euro Disney to Disneyland Paris was the main one that everyone knows, changing because of bad name association involving severe financial problems, to near bankruptcy (in a nutshell).  Though the name Euro Disney has not gone away, you'll find it in all Disneyland Resort Paris reports as Euro Disney S.C.A (part owner).

The Disneyland Paris to Disneyland Resort Paris was used once the Studios was built in 2002, since now it was not just the one main park, but two.

That said, the logo and the layout have changed quite a few times over the years aswell.  :wink:

Martha86

a.newton - I'm from Canterbury too!

pussinboots

Quote from: "a.newton"I've been wondering where to post this, but I think this will be OK and hope it hasn't been done before!

I was thinking about the old names, 3 mainly.

First Euro Disney. I went there when they were still using that name; I don't remember thinking that much about it at the time but when they changed it to Disneyland, Paris I thought that was much nicer. I have to admit, I have never liked Disneyland Resort Paris quite as much, but it's obviously good marketing, it just doesn't flow quite as well as Disneyland, Paris!

Then there was "Lake Buena Vista". I always found that a bit strange, it didn't sit well with the European image and sounded too American/South American and I was quite pleased when it was changed to Lake Disney.

As for "Festival Disney", I did not really like that one at all, it seemed all wrong! I don't know what underlying meaning was, but it didn't really tell you what was there. Disney Village is much better but maybe that will have to change as it gets bigger.

Can anyone else think of any other name changes? What do you think of the above three?

Well, there were "Euro Disneyland" (for the whole resort) and "Euro Disneyland Paris" during the buffer years of '93 and '94... It's hard to believe how often they changed that name, although it may have finally settled at a formal "Disneyland Resort Paris" and an informal "Disneyland Paris".

They also only added "Disney's" to the hotel names in what, 1999? I've always wondered why they didn't just include that from the start.

And I suppose "Festival Disney" and "Disney Village" were both chosen for their bilingual quality. But the latter sounds a bit cooler, a bit more "with it", which they were after I'm sure.

Riebi

There´s a gooood overview about this at wikipedia:

//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneyland_paris#Name_changes
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Anthony

Disney's Davy Crocket Ranch was originally Camp Davy Crockett wasn't it? And then Ranch Davy Crockett.

Then there's Animation Courtyard --> Toon Studio and in the future Production Courtyard --> Hollywood Studio.

Quote from: "-breeno-"I think WDS changed from Walt Disney Studios to Walt Disney Studios Park, yeah not a big difference but still :P
Nope, always Walt Disney Studios Park since opening.

During construction it was known as Disney Studios Paris though -- I see some American fans still refer to it as DSP. I think it was briefly Walt Disney Studios Paris before opening - the arch had the word 'Paris' in small letters under the 'Walt Disney Studios' if I remember correctly but they took it down pretty quickly. (See topic in WDS forum)

Also funny to mention that the letters on the Earfell Tower were originally red, before it was realised no one could read it against the blue and they painted over them in white. :lol:

Quote from: "Owain"What ever the name change people still call it Euro Disney  :evil:
Mind you i still call Disneyland Resort, Disneyland :P
I think most people do with that one, it just feels a little strange. I don't hear Euro Disney much any more, always Disneyland Paris. That's what I say myself unless I'm writing, then I insist on the Resort. 8)

Owain

Quote from: "Baloo"I don't hear Euro Disney much any more, always Disneyland Paris.
In our school, when they took us to Disneyland paris (As i call it :P). They insisted it was called euro disney. Posters saying year 9 trip to Euro Disney, Consent forms saying we are taking your child to Euro Disney, School Newsletter said Recently the welsh department took year 9 puils to Euro Disney. How me and jake did scream and say its not euro disney, its DISNEYLAND RESORT PARIS !  :lol:

Yeah, back on topic....  :P

MinnieMouse

I love the old name as the Resort was called: Euro Disney Resort  :D/  When I spoke from the Resort, I always called it Euro Disney.

Alexandra

a.newton

It was obviously a good idea to drop Euro Disney with the bad start they had, even if it is still their business name.

I was wondering why they never used Discovery Mountain and went to Space Mountain instead. I think Space Mountain is better anyway.

Are "DM" things still on the trains of Space Mountain? When did they change their minds on the name, it must have been some time before it opened...?

Riebi

Yes it was shortly before the opening. During the construction phase it was named Discovery Mountain. You can find the DMs everywhere around Space Mountain.

You cen read more about the name changes here:

//http://sm.dlpfan.org/history/conception/discovery/namechange.html
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Nicholas-c

Taken from wikipedia

QuoteDisneyland Resort Paris and its assets have been subject to a number of name changes, initially an effort to overcome the negative publicity that followed the inception of Euro Disney.

Michael Eisner noted,
QuoteAs Americans, the word 'Euro' is believed to mean glamorous or exciting. For Europeans it turned out to be a term they associated with business, currency, and commerce. Renaming the park 'Disneyland Paris' was a way of identifying it with one of the most romantic and exciting cities in the world.[14]

1until May 1994
2June 1994 until September
3October 1994 until February 2002
4March 2002.

to be honest, i just call it disney :P
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone