Shanghai Disney Resort

Started by Kristof, July 08, 2005, 08:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Another Asian park is in the make, Shanghai Disneyland, 4 times the size of Hong Kong Disneyland!!! 

QuoteThe planned Shanghai park will cover an area of 6 square kilometres, four times the size of Disney's Hong Kong park, Wen Wei Po reported on Friday.

Disney will provide technology and capital for a 51-percent stake in a joint venture with Shanghai's government-backed Lujiazui Group company, which will contribute land near the Pudong International Airport, the newspaper said.

<!-- s:arrow: -->:arrow:<!-- s:arrow: -->  <!-- m -->http://www.mickeynews.com/News/DisplayP<!-- m --> ... E_785China

Jorien

You're kidding!  :shock:
They really have to stop!!!

Anthony

Yes!  Enough is enough, I think now with Hong Kong, they've got all they need.  The more Disneylands they build, the less special they become.  And not only the new ones are less special - the current ones are made less special as well, since they're so heavily copied.

I think the major problem here is that this area already seems to have enough Disney.  HK and Tokyo Disney resorts aren't *that* far away... I feel the only reason why Hong Kong and Shanghai are being built is because of the success of Tokyo.  Notice how they won't EVER (in my opinion) build another park in Europe.  In some ways I hope HK isn't a success, since then they'll stop building new resorts.  For us, as DLRP fans, imagine if they built another resort somewhere in Europe!  Even if DLRP was very successful, it would still seem VERY stupid and would be weird to have the two resorts so close.

I hope something can happen to make them change their minds... though I doubt it will.  :(

Aladdin

Shanghai Disneyland i will be there :D
Trouble? No way. You\'re only in
trouble if you get caught  --------
----- I\'m in trouble!

Kristof

Shangai Disneyland seems to be confirmed now!

QuoteWalt Disney Co. plans to open a Disney theme park in Shanghai in 2012, the Hong Kong Economic Times reports.
Citing sources, the report said Disney and the Shanghai government reached an agreement to begin construction of China's second Disneyland in 2008, with a completion date of 2012.

The sources said the park will be four times bigger than Hong Kong's Disneyland, scheduled to open September 12.

However, it is unclear whether the plan will receive regulatory approval from China's central government, according to the newspaper.

The first group of Disney's U.S.-based theme park designers and planners currently in Hong Kong will be moving to Shanghai for preparation of the park, which is expected to begin in mid-2006, the newspaper said.

Disney has said that the company won't rule out the possibility of opening another theme park in China after 2010.

http://www.mickeynews.com/News/DisplayP ... _E_815Park

Jorien

Stop!!! Stop!!! Stop!!!
They really should stop!   :(

Anthony

Disney chairman says company considering Shanghai park

The Walt Disney Co. is in talks with the Chinese government to open a Disneyland theme park in Shanghai, company chairman George Mitchell told the China Daily newspaper over the weekend.

"Our discussions have been with Shanghai officials, and now they are engaging with the national officials," Mitchell was quoted as saying by the China Daily in Beijing Saturday. "We have an interest in proceeding and we hope that satisfactory terms can be worked out and we can proceed."

Burbank's Disney had said previously that it was in talks with Shanghai authorities about building a park in the city, but that no agreement had been reached.

Mitchell also told the paper he does not think a Shanghai park would hurt Hong Kong Disneyland that opened in September, because of the large number of people in the area. He told the paper that there has been very careful analysis by both Disney (NYSE: DIS) and Chinese government officials.

from http://www.mickeynews.com

Kristof

Quote from: "Mickeynews.com"Authorities in Shanghai have started preparing a site for the proposed Disneyland, the second in China after Hong Kong, the Xinhua-run China Securities Journal said Wednesday.

The government of Chuansha town in the Pudong New District, where the Disney theme park is planned, had set up a special office for the relocation of residents on the site.

The Shanghai Disneyland was expected to open in 2010, when the city hosts the World Expo, the report said.

The first phase would occupy an area of 4.25 square km, expanding to eight to 10 square km in the second phase.

Shanghai, China's economic and financial center, is keen to have a Disneyland to ward off domestic competitors and add to its appeal as an international metropolis.

Though Shanghai lost out to Hong Kong in competing for the first park in China, it kept up its campaign to woo Disney.

Robert Iger, Disney's chief executive officer, was reported as saying in March that the Shanghai Disneyland would be 3.7 times larger than its Hong Kong counterpart and would cost 30 billion yuan (3.8 billion U.S. dollars) to build.

On March 15, a spokesperson for the municipal government confirmed that the city had proposed the park to the central government.

Disney chairman George Mitchell was quoted in June as saying Shanghai was awaiting approval of its proposal so the park could be completed before the World Expo.

Disney opened its Hong Kong park in September 2005. It is expected to create 18,400 jobs and boost the island's gross domestic product by six percent.

Anthony

I'm not that bothered about having *another* Disneyland now... Hong Kong didn't affect things much, and it's likely this wouldn't affect any of the western resorts either.  If there's still a good enough market for it, then eh why not.  Six Disney resorts seems quite excessive, but then I suppose everything about Disney is excess.

I just hope they make this one more exciting and original than Hong Kong.  That park was soooo unbelievably boring.  Remember the buzz everywhere when Euro Disney opened?  They'd really tried to do something special.  In Hong Kong, they didn't really try at all and the whole planning/construction/opening was very boring to follow, even for a big Disney fan like me.

Dlrpfan

i do hope though it will have far more and different attractions
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

Kristof

What a soap opera  :lol:

Quote from: "mickeynews"Shanghai claimed on Friday that there does not exist any residents relocation plan for the construction of the Disney theme park.

The government source with the Chuansha Township of the city's Pudong New District denied to have seen "any so-called layout blueprint" and said they have never received any instruction from the higher authorities concerning the relocating of residents.

Earlier reports said the Disney theme park in Shanghai will be located in Chuansha and the government of the township already began relocating local residents.

There would not be any development whatsoever as to the Disney theme park in Shanghai before the Chinese government has approved the project, said the township government.

Tron 2.0

Building a Park on mainland China is more a matter of when than if.

If the United States can support two Resorts with 200 million people, I think China, with over a billion residents, can afford to have two in the region.

Yes, Tokyo isn't that far away, but it's rather difficult for residents of China to get permission to leave the mainland.

--Mark
3 ... 6 ... 9 ... Seconds Of Light ...

Owain

Hasnt been a post here for more than one year and now we here more news !

From Disneytheque; Was in french translates on Google Translate
QuoteAbandoned at the end of 2005, the proposed Disneyland in Shanghai is finally relaunched and even already on track. The second Disney park in China will be located in the suburbs of Shanghai, in the district of Chuansha (district of Nanhui) and is expected to occupy an area of 6 km2, or 4.7 times the size of the park in Hong Kong.

Sign Project: expropriations began, and the access roads and public transport are being finalized to allow access almost directly from 50 cities in the delta region of the Yangtse. According to a representative of the Economic Committee of Nanhui District, "local authorities have received the green light from central government." Sesame essential and who had failed between 2002 and 2005, a period of discussions between Disney and the authorities in Shanghai.

Source : China Daily

WaltDisneyFanBoy

Well, it's to far away for me.

Kristof

Quote from: "WaltDisneyFanBoy"Well, it's to far away for me.

stop making these pointless posts.  This is your final warning.