Sleeping Beauty Castle - 2011 refurbishment

Started by Remco K., March 01, 2008, 11:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claire2281

Went there with a school party over the weekend and was surprised at how unintrusive the tarp seemed tbh.

Also, the gate to the dragon was locked up but you could still see and hear it. Don't think it was moving but the soundtrack was still on.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

captain rocket

Hi Claire, I was there at the weekend and le Taniere de Dragon was closed on Saturday and Sunday, but was open again on Monday morning. Maybe Disney decided that they needed to make some more passages available for people trying to transit through to Fantasyland, I found the bottleneck through the castle intolerable with someone always in your way! Many times the whole place came to a standstill! Maybe Disney should introduce a one way system!!

Columbiad

A tweet from DLRPToday, 4 hours ago,  possibly from the webmasters meeting at DLP today:

QuoteSleeping Beauty Castle's new colours will 'fade up into the sky', roofs will be bluer and the golden turret with return! Like 1992 again!

More information will possibly follow from Anthony or Kristof soon.

pussinboots

I suspected that about the colors fading upwards. *Gets gold star* The pink on the main spiral is very light indeed.

Excellent news about the golden turret. I just hope the saturation of the blues and pinks will be somewhat modest.

Josh

This is great news! I'm really looking forward to seeing this completed, now! :D
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

peter

are there pictures of the golden turret?

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"I suspected that about the colors fading upwards. *Gets gold star* The pink on the main spiral is very light indeed.

Excellent news about the golden turret. I just hope the saturation of the blues and pinks will be somewhat modest.
One of my first thoughts when we walked in and saw the plans set up on boards was "pussinboots is going to love this!" It's really going to be exactly what we've all been talking about. Even the roof above the main window, which currently has that yellow gradient, will be returned to full blue. The pink will be different, lighter and less sombre (more pearly rose, you can see it already), but in terms of where the colours are with the golds and blues, it's going mostly back to 1992.

I was surprised in the park how good the castle looks just after a few weeks. You notice straight away how stunning the main tower looks already. I wasn't sure it'd be so striking.

WalkerboyUK

We got plenty of photos of the castle in it's current refurbishment condition last week.
Will post a few later tonight.

JoefromSingapore

Look forward to seeing your photos! Im glad its all going to be ready by Oct when I go! :thumbs:
That weird host on Dedicated to Disneyland Paris PODCAST!

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"One of my first thoughts when we walked in and saw the plans set up on boards was "pussinboots is going to love this!" It's really going to be exactly what we've all been talking about. Even the roof above the main window, which currently has that yellow gradient, will be returned to full blue. The pink will be different, lighter and less sombre (more pearly rose, you can see it already), but in terms of where the colours are with the golds and blues, it's going mostly back to 1992.

I was surprised in the park how good the castle looks just after a few weeks. You notice straight away how stunning the main tower looks already. I wasn't sure it'd be so striking.

Well that makes me even happier. Not only is the castle going to look even better than I'd hoped it would, but my relentless whining has been engraved into your brains!

There's also the little copper tower in the back, which was also given a gradient finish in 1998, while the much larger copper tower with the bell tower on top kept its copper finish. I suppose that's going back to copper then?

The back of the castle isn't something a lot of people really examine carefully, by the way, nor does it get a lot of attention even from us. But it is quite well designed. I wonder if they can sound that little bell?

Slinky, Disney Central Plaza

Anthony

Just to update this topic with what we learnt last week... Kristof posted:

QuoteLe Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant
We all know the Château is being refurbished, but what we didn't know was the decision to go back to the original colours of the Castle.
- Nearly all the rooftops will be painted blue, instead of green/blue and will loose their golden gradient.
- The two roofs with the snails on will be painted once again entirely in gold.
- There will be different shades of pink, darker on the bottom part of the Castle, lighter on the upper part.
- Katie Olsen from WDI Glendale used the original Château scale model to test out the new colours.
- Thomas explained there will be lots of painting during the day, because they need sunlight to check of the gradients and layers of paint are done right. The refurb is scheduled to end late August.
- No work will be done on the interior.
And now I've expanded a little more on this part of the presentation with 38 pictures of current progress: Refurb Roundup Day: Sleeping Beauty Castle's new colours revealed, big photo update

I liked this way of describing the five shades:

QuoteAccording to Peggie, the Castle will look as if it is "soaring into the clouds" with the new pink tones.

Quote from: "pussinboots"There's also the little copper tower in the back, which was also given a gradient finish in 1998, while the much larger copper tower with the bell tower on top kept its copper finish. I suppose that's going back to copper then?
Unfortunately we didn't get to see the castle from behind, and I don't remember how that roof looked. We only saw a concept art showing before/after the colours at the front, and then a photograph of the 1992 model in Glendale which has been repainted in the new shades of pink.

Festival Disney

Anthony, did they say whether or not they were going to enforce a ban on any future seasonal decorations after this presumabley very expensive refurb?
Here's a picture of the extended tarp:

Source: Tyrower on Disney Central Plaza
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Martyn

What is up with that 'window'? When its let up, that bottom part is blacked out?

Anthony

Quote from: "Festival Disney"Anthony, did they say whether or not they were going to enforce a ban on any future seasonal decorations after this presumabley very expensive refurb?
No, but that's a good point isn't it. I can't see any major castle decorations for the 20th happening. Apparently Entertainment aren't allowed to touch the castle without going through WDI now anyway, so presumably she's safe from any 2009-style incidents.

Personally what I'd love to see are seasonal banners on the lamps around the castle, like they have in California. Dressing the castle up for an occasion, and respecting that it is a fairytale medieval castle.

Festival Disney

I'm also hoping they might add some more of the square trees to the hill on the left of the Caste. Did the others die or something, because I'm sure there were alot more than there are currently!
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day