Sleeping Beauty Castle - 2011 refurbishment

Started by Remco K., March 01, 2008, 11:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malin

The bridge can't be that unsafe as guest are still allowed to walk through, this looks more like a cleaning project.

Javey74

I was wondering what has rotted concrete to that sort of state, you expect it with wood and steel.....but concrete !! :roll:

I can only guess it's the weight stresses, since the moat water is no-where near it from the photo posted earlier by Remco K , and I would not have thought that rain water could do that much damage.  After all look at CDG airport how long that's been erected, a lot longer than 15 years. The C should stand for concrete not Charles in that abbreviation.  :roll:

Was it sub-standardised concrete when it was originally build.  If this was a standard public bridge, heads would roll for concrete in that state after just 15 years... :shock:

Still I hope the repairs last longer.... :)

SparrowsGirl

It proberbly has concrete cancer thats usually what "rotten" concrete is

Disneyland Paris Treasures

I too was under the impression that concrete is a rather solid and almost undestroyable material, so I would be interested in what exactly has happened here? Both terms "concrete rot" and "concrete cancer" mean nothing to me.  :?

Owain

Quote from: "Malin"The bridge can't be that unsafe as guest are still allowed to walk through, this looks more like a cleaning project.
No, if you read the post before it is because the bridge is "rotting" .

Soap

Quote from: "Mobi"I too was under the impression that concrete is a rather solid and almost undestroyable material, so I would be interested in what exactly has happened here? Both terms "concrete rot" and "concrete cancer" mean nothing to me.  :?

//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_cancer
Theory
As concrete ages, it will begin to deteriorate and, if the cement is too alkaline, the ageing process causes star-shaped cracks to appear which will allow rainwater to penetrate. In wintertime, in cool temperate and in cold climates, the deterioration is accelerated due to freeze-thawing of the water within the cracks. This phenomenon is known as 'concrete cancer'
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Anthony

This photo from mouetto on DCP shows the state of the bridge quite well:
http://www.photomania.com/photolibre.as ... pg&album=1

It looks like only the top "themed" layer of concrete is going, so they probably just moved in to repair it and make sure it doesn't go any deeper through this cancer (which sounds very likely considering the warm/freezing climate Paris gets).  I think DLRP would never let anything get to a state where it's unsafe, they'd move in at the tiniest sign of anything. Dirt, yes, safety hazards, no. :lol:

In any case I hope they're giving it a clean at the same time, that bridge is actually quite hideous. :shock:

Riebi

Yes I don´t think that it´s a security problem. It´s more a deco problem. Hope they could fix it for lonter now!
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Malin

Quote from: "Owain"
Quote from: "Malin"The bridge can't be that unsafe as guest are still allowed to walk through, this looks more like a cleaning project.
No, if you read the post before it is because the bridge is "rotting" .

I did actually read the post and thats why I posted below it. I can't understand why if the Bridge was rotting away like some have stated on here, it would be safe enough to allow guest access to it.

This is why I think it may be something else.

Kristof

No Malin, there are issues with the bridge, but by fixing it now, they can avoid further problems in the future.

Malin

Right with you now, the article on DLRPToday also discussed the subject further. Hopely this will send a sign to DLRP execs that the more you neglect things the more it will cost in the long run.

maruychan

is It still packed?
  [-o<  please tell me not

mehdi5

Quote from: "maruychan"is It still packed?
  [-o<  please tell me not
My uncle went yesterday, acording to him it still is.

toonarmylass

i was there sunday to thursday and thursday was very busy but there was a lot of spanish school kids there.

Owain

Quote from: "toonarmylass"i was there sunday to thursday and thursday was very busy but there was a lot of spanish school kids there.
Maruychan means is the castle still packed as in is the scaffolding still on it or is it still under construction i think  :) .