Bring back the Indian Canoes!...

Started by CentralPlazaPerson, June 25, 2009, 06:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralPlazaPerson

I sadly never got to ride them. It closed in 1994, long before I started going to DLRP! :(
I would love to see them come back. Anyone else agree?

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Oh, that would be sooooo great. I read somewhere that there is a hidden cave in Big Thunder Mountain and other details along the route that you could only see from the canoes...

CentralPlazaPerson

Cool!
Did the canoes ever tip? :lol:

-breeno-

Quote from: "CentralPlazaPerson"Cool!
Did the canoes ever tip? :lol:

I think that played a part in the reason they aren't still about.  From what i heard (so i'm probably wrong) the reason they aren't still in use is there wasn't enough CMs available to row them, plus they didn't want to get into a whole law sue if a canoe capsized (that the right term?).

As i said, i'm probably wrong :P
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

CentralPlazaPerson

Could you put anything underneath the canoe to stop it capsiding?

-breeno-

Quote from: "CentralPlazaPerson"Could you put anything underneath the canoe to stop it capsiding?

Doubt it, then it wouldn't be a proper canoe then.  The main problem though was staff number willing to go out and canoe around the lake.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

CentralPlazaPerson

Even if they brought them out the odd time ... :/

Kristof

The main problem was, according to an Imagineer in the DLP "Backstage" magazine, there were too many boats on the Rivers of the Far West.  It was too hard to keep track of were each boat was located.

davewasbaloo

Funny how that is not a problem in DL or TDL where the canoes, keel boats, Mark Twain (and in DL's case - the Columbia too) could all work together for decades.

I suspect it is two fold - 1stly the bad behaviour of many guests with linguistic barriers causing an issue, coupled with a cost cutting measure = no more canoes. The reason they disappeared in WDW (and for a very short time in DL) were to save on the cast members and insurance overheads.
since 2001 (many before that)

Mrs. Jennes

are there any pictures in the world wide web ?
i never heard of it before!

A dream comes true the 10th Time in March \'10

TR_Wolf

Well here's the canoes:

Now, I remember thinking these looked great fun when at Disneyland in California, so we went on them... the only trouble is that it wasn't great because it was hard work, and very tiring! We got off it thinking that it was just a lot of hard work and we didnt enjoy it! :(

Adam (TR Wolf) on the left, and Phil on the right \":)\"

RnRCj

Awesome picture! I believe there were some smaller canoes too?

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "RnRCj"Awesome picture! I believe there were some smaller canoes too?

Not in the parks, they were on Lac Disney (or Buena Vista as was). These are the standard canoes that have operated in DL, WDW, DLP and TDL.
since 2001 (many before that)

Dlrpfan

I would love to see the canoes return too, i went on the Davy crockett explorer canoes at DL and loved them! They were so much fun for all of us (well apart from the part where mybrother decided to splash us with the paddle :p) Surely DLRP could work out a system to bring them back safely
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012