Javey74's Trip Report [29th Oct - 1st Nov 2007]

Started by Javey74, November 02, 2007, 08:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

What an ugly bunch of people! :P

Ah, I'm angry I couldn't visit for Halloween this year... Always great to see the magicforum gang. Looking forward to your pictures though javey. :)

RnRCj

That must have been so great to meet up at DLRP! I recognised all but two of you :P

Javey74

Trip Report 29th Oct to 1st Nov 2007

Day 1 (Raining/Cold)

Flew from Newcastle airport to CDG landed 18.06 (French Time), it was raining as predicted by the forecast but we weren't worried as the next 3 days forecast ranged from sun and cloud to full sun, but cold.  So the forecast was right up to now.  :)

Next we all got onto the VEA Disney Bus Link (18:30), only since it was in and there were no taxi's about, well private ones anyway.  The last time we went we got the taxi, it got us there in 35 mins, (speeding mind), with the bus it can be over an hour up to about an hour and three quarters because of stopping at other airport terminals to pick up.  So at this point we knew we weren't going to get their quick.  :(

Pulled into the Hotel Santa Fe about 20.10.  Got checked in, Vanessa ran to the reception whilst I got the cases off the bus with Jen, as you know to speed things up a bit more.  :P

Funnily enough Vanessa wanted to be in a higher level room, she got her wish, we got second floor, but at the end of the complex buildings (Block 54/Room 235) on looking  the Rio Grande River, so from here it was easier to cross the bridge and get the bus link to the parks from the Hotel Cheyenne Bus Stand.  :)

We dumped the cases in the room and headed straight to the Cheyenne bus stand, bus wasn't long, headed straight into the main park.  We walked through the main entrance passed the ticket machines to stand in awe at the scene in front of us, it was definitely Halloween alright, pumpkins, the pumpkin men, with the castle in the distance lit up deep red, spectacular, a sign of things to come.  :D

We headed into Discovery Land, went straight onto Buzz Light Years Laser Blast (No Queue at all), then Obitron (2 min wait), then Autopia (10 min wait), we headed out to have a look at the Central Plaza and Castle area.  Next headed into Fantasy Land, got on the Carousel.  The park was starting to close so we headed back up Main Street to the exits and into the Village searching for some food, managed to get some, then headed off to do a bit (ha-ha) of shopping.  Getting tired now, so we headed back to our room for a well earned rest.  :wink:

Day 2 (Sunny with Light Cloud/Cold)

Up at 6.30am ready for breakfast at 7.00am then headed out to the Cheyenne bus stand (since I needed to call back to the room), then headed towards the main park with our Hotel easy pass to get our magic hours, so in by 8.00am.  :)  

Started to take photos of the pumpkin men down Main Street while the park was quiet.  Headed through the castle into Fantasy Land for rides on the Carousel, Mad Hatters Spinning Teacups and Pinocchio Ride, after these we headed up to see the Princesses on the theatre stage to the side of the castle, second in the queue, so not bad!  Photographer turned up so we knew we were in the right place, and sure enough Cinderella and Prince Charming arrived.  After this it was time for the Disney Villains Show on the Central Plaza Stage, really good view as right at the front next to the steps leading up to the stage.  Headed back into Fantasy Land with sweets in hand, given to us by the villains.  We moved on to do Casey Junior, this was when we realised that the French Schools were off this week, which had us a little bit worried for future queues.  There was a 30 Minute wait.  Only down side was that when we eventually got to ride it, the ride operator decided that all three of us could get in a single row of seats in the carriage, we where sitting like sardines, and not one of our bottoms touched the seat properly, we were not impressed.  What had he been thinking of  :?:  

We then made off to get Fast Passes for the Peter Pan's Flight since the queues were getting horrendous.  We then headed into Frontier Land, taking more photos of the pumpkin men and other scenery, went to get fast passes for thunder mountain, as again queues were terrible.  We queued for about 15 minutes just to get Fast Passes, only for the machine to break and having to use another one.  Put the tickets through and headed to the Lucky Nugget for our lunch that we had reserved tickets for.  

Disaster then struck when we realised that we had not made a reservation for a particular time slot, we assumed since we were given the reservation tickets at reception when we arrived, we did not need to make another reservation.  How wrong we were, after being made to wait 10 minutes we were herded upstairs with other people who had made the same mistake, by not booking a time.  Goes to show, always read the small print, no matter how much paperwork you are given at reception.  Vanessa did complain that this was dangerous for Jennifer having to carry hot food up the stairs, but nothing could be done about it.  She also asked about the Characters, if they were also visiting the upstairs, since this was the whole point.  The staff said that they would one by one through out the meal, and give them their due they did, getting the kids involved in different activities, like doing the Mexican wave with Chip and Dale and watching Characters doing different pranks, like rolling down a flight of steps, (really funny to see)  :lol:

Food was great, drinks are not included though, finished the meal and decided to go to the Thunder Mountain, as the Fast Pass ticket times were looming.  So we paid the bill for the drinks and tried to leave, only to be stopped at the door and were asked if we had just had drinks, since that was all the bill showed.  We explained that we had a meal, which had been paid for using our vouchers, which we had handed into the lady upstairs.  The lady on the door made a big fuss, saying that she needed the vouchers, and that we should not have given them to the lady upstairs, even though she asked for them.  At this point Vanessa lost her temper and demanded to speak to someone in charge.  :evil:   The lady we had spoken to did not understand why we needed to speak to someone else, so went and got someone else in charge, only she was too busy so we would have to wait.  Eventually someone came and said "Oh yes, you had vouchers, you can leave", and apologised for keeping us, if we had somewhere else to be.  Jennifer at this point also received her Disney Rubik's Cube from the door cast member. :shock:

From here we headed to Thunder Mountain for our ride, only to find two of the Fast Passes had no times printed on them, as the time had not quite changed enough from the Peter Pan's Flight Fast Pass time we got earlier.  Never mind, we put them through again to get one for later on that evening, this time checking all three had gone through.  We decided to head off to the Peter Pan's Flight with our other Fast Passes, and jumped the main queue only waiting about five minutes to get on.  We then went through Fantasy Land getting some more photos, just before entering Alice's Labyrinth. Headed up Main Street to the shops for some more merchandise and to collect the photo's from the Cinderella and Prince shot earlier as mentioned.  Got a good position for the Halloween Villains Parade, followed by the Once Upon A Dream Parade, which always gets your feet tapping.   By this time we were carrying quite a bit merchandise, so we decided to head back to the hotel to drop it off.  Had about half an hour rest, then headed back in for round two.  :lol:

We went back into the main park and headed to It's A Small World, rode that and managed to get a few character photo's on departing the ride.  Then went to Thunder Mountain as the Fast Pass times were about due, this time no problems encounted.  This was the first time we had rode this ride in the dark, as all other times it has always been daylight.  It was brilliant, and even more disorientating due to the constant darkness.  Made our way through Frontier Land taking in all the spectacles that were happening, getting a few more shots to add to the collection.  Park was starting to close down, so we headed towards the Village, in search of food.  We were not hungry enough for a three course meal, so we grabbed a snack at MacDonald.  Vanessa and Jen's chicken burgers were alright, but my burger was raw.  I took it back, they give me another one, I sat back down, this one was also raw.  By this point I was stood at the counter with a German woman who had the same problem as me.  To cut a long story short (if that's possible), the Manager was really apologetic and offered me anything else off the menu, aswell as another burger to try.  This one was cooked, so I ended up with a cheese burger and a chicken burger for the price of one.  Not a bad out come, and if you're wondering what happened to the cook, well I don't think he'll be working there the next day, after what the Manager said (oooops) !  :lol:

Did a bit more shopping after this, then headed of to the Hotel for a well earned sleep.  :wink:

Day 3 (Sunny/cold)

Slightly later breakfast this morning (7.30am – ha ha), once gain headed out into the Main Parks using our extra magic hours.  Headed for the Snow White Ride, Carousel while the queues were small.  Had another wander around, getting some more photos, then slowly headed back out of the park towards the Studios.  We waited in the Front Lot area for Characters at about 10.15am, managed to get Chip and Dale.  Headed through studio one to be confronted with the Tower of Terror, which was a lot more constructed than it was in May, and to see it again in it's splendour was just magnificent. :D

We wanted to get Remy's autograph in the Toon Studios so we headed there, then joined the queue for Crushers Coaster (75 minutes wait – yes you have read it right 75 minutes), we even had to bargain with Jen, that we would go on cars, well Vanessa would.  This was my only concern about Crushers Coaster, since I don't like waltzer type ride's and I was hoping it did not spin too much.  I took my chances.  :shock:

I love coaster's but coasters with a linear motion.  What a shock we all got, when we eventually got to ride it.  Myself and Jen facing forwards in the shell, with Vanessa backwards, or so we thought.  The first drop that takes you out side and back in again was really good, the special digital imagery was fantastic, it felt you were actually under water with all the creatures near you.  Then there was the submarine uphill climb, whilst going up I was wondering if there was going to be a sheer drop.  When we hit the top there was a slight turn and run, beyond this all hell broke loose.  When the car began to spin, I had my eyes shut, so as not to get too disorientated and feel sick.  I opened them once I was facing forward again and enjoyed the ride much better.  On the whole it was a good ride, but Jen was not impressed.  I would have enjoyed the ride more if it had been as linear as Space Mission 2, but that's just me and spinning car rides.  :lol:

So next came Cars, I stayed at the viewing point, whilst Vanessa and Jen joined the 30 minute queue.  Got some shots of them on the ride, We managed to get some more Characters after this ride, although we did miss out on getting Emile's autograph, but managed to get a photo with Jen as usual. Headed of to Aladdin's Flying Carpets, which we had promised Jen we would ride, even though Vanessa is not keen on heights.  You could tell it was Halloween time since the devil came out of Jen, as she kept the carpet flying at full height knowing fine well of her mam's dislike of heights.  :lol:  :lol:

Got peckish at this point, so we headed off for some lunch in the Studio 1 main eating area.  Made off after this to do some more shopping, presents for family at home etc.  Went back to the hotel for a quick power nap, and to do some pre-packing, since we were aware that we would be out late for the Soiree Party (1.00am).  After getting Jen ready into her Halloween Costume, we headed back into the main park, upon showing our Halloween Soiree tickets we were given an orange wrist band, just in time to see the Once Upon A Dream Parade again.  This time we got a position near the start of the parade route.  I can also say that something went wrong with the parade as half way through the floats all stopped for quite a while for something up ahead that I could not see, only that two parade co-ordinators dressed in black three quarter length coats carrying script files, went running past me talking in their radios, looking concerned.  The parade eventually started up again.  I felt sorry for the vulture men who had to dance and keep hopping around the same area for quite a while, they must have been sweating a lot. :shock:

After another ride on It's A Small World, we headed to Peter Pan's Flight area, since we knew that Wendy, Peter Pan, Captain Hook and Smee would be in this area, and sure enough they were, for more photo opportunities.  We went to the Central Plaza Stage awaiting the Candleabration Show, I must say the music lifts the hairs on the back of your neck, as the flags are waving in time with the beat, absolutely fab. :wink:

We headed back up Main Street to get something to eat, as the park was closing to non-Soiree guests.  We ended up in Victoria's Café in Main Street for a quick snack, just in time I might add, as they were closing the doors shortly after we arrived.  By the way the Mickey Pizza's are absolutely delicious.  After eating we headed through the castle to catch up with more villains, for some more autographs and pictures.  Went round into Adventure Land, which was really eerie, as skull rock had mist coming out of it, with glowing red eyes and the pirate ship lit up in greens and reds, very eerie!  A ride of Pirates Of The Caribbean next, before heading back into Frontier Land to see what was going on at Phantom Manor, which I think had to be the scariest place in the park, it had spectres wandering around the gardens, evil ghouls standing 8 to 9 foot tall around you.  I also come into contact with the Phantom Bride coming out of the garden gate, she stopped in front of me for a photo.  This was a strange experience, she lifted her hand, which had a glove on.  I raised my hand to touch the palm of her hand, she then interlocked her fingers around mine, staring intently into my eyes.  She then let go of my hand and put her hand across her heart and her eyes seemed to fill up, then she wandered away.  This was the strangest experience I have ever had at DLRP, I was in a sort of hypnotic state, really I was :!:  :shock:

We were going to ride Phantom Manor but Jen was too scared with it being dark, and the queues were really, really, really long.  Jen agreed to ride it the next day when it was light.  So from here we moved to the theatre stage area seating in time for the Fantillusion Parade, front seats.  I should point out that it was really cold by this point, so Vanessa and the Jen kept my seat whilst I went up the Central Plaza to one of the hot drinks vans, only to wait in a 10 strong queue to get served and the whole hot drinks machine broke down.  Ended up with a bottle of coke, just to wet our throats.  :(

Fantillusion Parade brilliant brought back memories of a Christmas visit about 2 years ago, which was the last time I saw this parade.  When the parade finished we popped back round the rear of the castle while the parade was still making it's way up Main Street to try and catch a few more villains, which we did.  Jennifer was ecstatic as she got to meet the Old Hag from Snow White, who was surprisingly nice to her; even though a little bit loud.  The only Villain to really frighten her was Frollo from The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, who went after her.  We then headed back around to Adventure Land for some photos of Skull Rock and the Pirate Ship.  The amount of Super Trooper lights going around the Sky was awe inspiring.  Moved onto Frontier Land once again for a trip on the Molly Brown to try and warm up (first time we have sat in one of the cabins, normally we're out on deck).  Headed into a few souvenir shops also to warm up and to await the Firework display at 12.15am.  We had decided to watch them looking down from the Town Square to beat the queues wandering out from the main area in front of the castle. :wink:

The fire works were spectacular, there were that many going off at one point the whole sky was lit up with colour, (some monies worth spent here, take it from me)! Well worth waiting to see.  There was only one way to head and that was back to the Hotel now, all of us were absolutely knackered...Zzzzz.  :P

Day 4 (Sun with Cloud/Cold)

Early breakfast again (7:30am), and by the way before I go any further I would just like to point out that my legs were absolutely aching by day 4, in fact I didn't walk to breakfast I limped, at one point I thought I might be at an advantage by being in a wheelchair and get to watch things in privileged areas, but this was not to be since Vanessa had the magic spray which did ease them a little.  :wink:

We headed back to the hotel room to finish packing and we took the cases to the Baggage room, before heading back into the reception area for my prized photo take with Donald Duck (oh boy, oh, boy, oh boy). We had the rest of the day really in the parks since we did not have to catch the VEA bus back to the airport (CDG) until 15.40.  :)

We made our way to the main park again using our magic hours pass card and headed straight for the Dumbo Ride, which Jen had wanted to go on since we got there but the queues were far too long.  When we got there, there was about a 15 minute wait, but this was not bad as it gets a lot worse than that, especially after 10.00am when the rest of the visitors come flooding in.  From here we went back to Frontier Land to get some shots of the Pink Witches, since I had the majority of the Pumpkin Men.  Went up to Phantom Manor (10 minute wait), we all enjoyed that ride as we always do, took some more photos around the Manor and Boot Hill Cemetery.

Felt a bit peckish, so we headed into Adventure Land to the Hakuna Matata Restaurant, got the Soft Family Bucket Meal, which was absolutely delicious, I don't know what they cooked the chicken wings in, but they were really tasty, you also got chicken strips and fries, with a 2 litre bottle of coke to share. :wink:

After dinner we headed back to the Studios to see the Disney Cinema Parade and get some more character shots.  We were going to go on the Studios Tram Tour, but the queue was too long, so we wandered back past Cars and Crushers Coaster, trying to squeeze through the people jams between the two rides.  It was at this point heading down towards Studio 1, when I spotted someone who looked familiar, walking in front of me, with another group of guys.  I said to Vanessa I'm sure that's Raptor, but he jacket was zipped up so if he had his badge on I could not see it.  I would normally had been wearing mine which had the Magic-Forum logo on with my Donald Duck Avatar with Javey74 wrote next to it, this was in the case though.  I noticed he stopped to peer through the concealment boards for the Hollywood buildings with this group of friends, another face I recognised was Patmagic.  I was now 99.9% sure this had to be Raptor, so I went over to him and said "Is your name Kristof", he said "Yes".  I said Raptor, "Yes" I introduced myself "Hi, Javey74".  I was more in shock if anything, If he had said no.......well (egg on face time).  :lol:  

He said they were all from the Forum.  Flor, Patmagic, Peep and WDI1992. He told me that he had met another new member just the other day aswell, you see "It's A Small Small World". I asked for a photo with them all, and they were only to happy to help.  It was also at this point Raptor said that the Forum was back up and running since when I left it was down.  What a way to end my trip, that was a nice surprise that I did not expect, to meet the gang.   I knew Raptor was going to the Halloween Soiree, but seeing him amongst the thousands of people there, as well as being dark, would have been like looking for a needle in the haystack. In case you're wondering Jen took the photo, Vanessa was standing near the Toon Studios monument, in shock to what I had just done.  :oops:  :lol:

From here we looked around the studios a bit longer, then headed out to the shop near the Studios exit, bought some final pins, to use up the little euros we had left.  Then it was off to the Hotel to collect our cases and head back to the airport on the VEA Disney Bus Link.  :wink:

And that was it really, we had a fantastic, magical trip.  Exhausting, and at times painful, but worth every penny. :D/  :D/

Just to let you know I will be uploading the photos shortly onto my Fotki Disney Galleries, just have to sort them out about (350+) and put them through the usual photo enhancement software, then I can upload them to the galleries.

Watch this topic for further photo updates  :arrow:

Nicholas-c

sounds like you had wicked awesome fun!

(btw 75 mins queue is nothing! when i was there in augest it was 3hours something)
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Javey74

Quotebtw 75 mins queue is nothing! when i was there in augest it was 3hours something

Wow that bad  :shock:

-breeno-

Great trip report javey :D

It seemed that luck wasn't on your side on day 2 with the Lucky Nugget, the fast passes for Big Thunder Mountain and McDonald's :(   Good thing you got them sorted though.

I've got no idea what's the longest i've queued for a ride, most likely Big Thunder Mountain but once after getting out of the strech room in Phantom Manor the ride stopped (nothing unsual there but the safety lights had turned on), we had to wait ages and some people couldn't bother waiting and asked to leave.  The ride eventually started again and there was a big cheer :lol:
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

tubbsy

75 minutes? Pah! Mark only rode Cursh once with the kids as after tat the queue was 90 minutes!
Great report  :D

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

miss disney fan

did you have a booking for the lucky nugget, we are having lunch in there the monday of our trip (the 1st time we have have been there) but have not been given a time, so will we have to wait too :?

The Butlin Boy

Great report Javey, thanks for sharing it :)

Javey74

Hi Miss Disney Fan

Quotedid you have a booking for the lucky nugget, we are having lunch in there the monday of our trip (the 1st time we have have been there) but have not been given a time, so will we have to wait too

We had prebooked our meal at the Lucky Nugget as part of the holiday package, so when we arrived at reception to get our room card and park passes, they give us the vouchers then, but unawares to us the receptionist just said "these are your tickets for the lunch you booked at the Lucky Nugget for Tuesday, you can get in between 12 and 3, and that was it.   We just put them away with the rest of the paper work until we needed to produce them at the Lucky Nugget, that was when the disaster struck.  They have a computer reservation system which lets them know which table you have booked, but obviously we weren't on it.

What you need to do is once you receive your vouchers at the reception, you still need to make a reservation for a table.  you can do this either at the 'City Hall' in the main park or the Lucky Nugget itself by 10.00am of the morning of the day you are due to have your lunch.  

You should be fine if you do this.  :)

miss disney fan

thanks  David, thort it was strange when they didnt ask what time we would like to eat   :?

can i sort out the time at the hotel reception, or does it have to be at city hall or lucky nugget :?:

love your report and looking forward to your pictures  :D

tubbsy

Hiya-sorry to jump in on this one. If you go to the concierge in your hotel, they print off little slips of paper for every meal you have booked (great when youre ther for six days! LOL) You then hand over the relevant one when you go to the restaurant

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

Javey74

Hi Miss Disney Fan

No you can only get the time by going to the City Hall or The Lucky Nugget unfortunately, since the hotels don't have access to the reservations log for the resturaunts, so they don't know which tables are already taken. :wink:

miss disney fan

thanks david, its good to know these things before they happen  :?
still waiting on those snaps  :P

Javey74

Not long for the snaps now :wink:

Just editing a few and deleting a few others that did not come out quite right  :lol:

All I need to do next is upload them to my galleries  :D