John Carter (2012)

Started by The Butlin Boy, October 09, 2007, 06:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Coming Soon"Pixar Planning Three Mars Pics
Source: ERBZine
October 9, 2007

ERBZine reports that pre-production is heating up on Disney/Pixar's John Carter of Mars movie, based on the Edgar Rice Burroughs sci-fi series.

"The Pixar creative team spent Tuesday morning exploring the massive Edgar Rice Burroughs archives in the ERB, Inc. offices on Ventura Blvd. Pixar's Jim Morris (vp), Andrew Stanton (director), Mark Andrews (script) discussed the 'John Carter of Mars' film project with Burroughs representatives, Danton Burroughs, Sandra Galfas and Jim Sullos," says the site.

The site adds, "All six members at the meeting expressed a deep commitment to the project, acknowledging that they had been inspired by Burroughs' creations from a very early age. This is evidenced in the excitement held for the John Carter property and the plans for a film trilogy faithful to the Burroughs books."

The projected release year for the first film is 2012.

The film begins with a Civil War veteran whose retreat into a cave to avoid capture by Apache Indians takes an otherworldly turn as he's transported via time portal to the planet of Barsoom and taken prisoner by 12-foot-tall green men.

Burroughs wrote 11 volumes of Carter's adventures and Disney is hoping the film will launch a franchise.

:arrow: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=38181

Pete's Dragon

Name changed to simply John Cater. Hmmm, wonder why the dropped the Mars part? Anything to do with the dismal Mars needs Moms, and guilt by association?

It's a good job Disney and Bruno Mars hadn't teamed up for a biopic, they'd have to call it Bruno - oh wait, that's even worse from a PR point of View  8)

Anthony

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"It's a good job Disney and Bruno Mars hadn't teamed up for a biopic, they'd have to call it Bruno - oh wait, that's even worse from a PR point of View  8)
:lol: Title updated.

Here's a link to the Facebook page and Wikipedia page, which confirms the following cast:

• Taylor Kitsch as John Carter
  • Lynn Collins as Dejah Thoris
  • Willem Dafoe as Tars Tarkas, a Barsoomian warrior and ally of John Carter
  • Thomas Haden Church as Hajus, a vicious Thark warrior
  • Samantha Morton as Sola, daughter of Tars Tarkas
  • Dominic West as Sab Than, prince of the Zodangans
  • Polly Walker as Sarkoja, a merciless, tyrannical Thark
  • James Purefoy as Kantos Kan, Captain of the ship Xavarian
  • Mark Strong as Matai Shang, ruler of the godlike Therns
  • CiarĂ¡n Hinds as Tardos Mors
  • Bryan Cranston as a Civil War colonel who comes into conflict with Carter
  • Daryl Sabara as Edgar Rice Burroughs
  • Bosworth Acres-Debenham as a butler

Scheduled for worldwide release 9th March 2012.

JelleP

Form The Pixar Times:

"John Carter is now less than four months away from its release, which means that marketing for the film is ready to kick into high gear. Disney should be releasing a new trailer for the highly anticipated film, which is director Andrew Stanton's first foray into the world of live-action. The WALL-E director has been busy with reshoots recently, signaling that the film is nearing the end of its production. EW and SFX have released a few new stills from the upcoming production, which will likely be seen in the new full-length trailer."

And here are the pictures! :)

"The coolest image above is definitely that of the white ape beast. At D23, when we were shown a scene of that beast causing carnage in an arena battle with the titular character, I couldn't help thinking how good it looked in motion. This film is going to have some sick visuals."

"There is a lot riding on John Carter. It is supposed to be the first part of a planned trilogy. Also, the budget for the film is thought to be over $200 million, so of course Disney wants the box office returns to be high. While there has not been much in the trailers and images seen thus far that have been mind-blowing, Stanton is a smart director, so I have high hopes. I believe that much of the film has been kept behind closed doors, so I am looking forward to watching the finished film early next year."

"Disney's John Carter hits theatres on March 9, 2012."
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

Anthony

Very striking new poster:

Via the film's Facebook page.

JelleP

The new John Carter trailer, introduced by Andrew Stanton! :D

[youtube:1wsf9ow9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR6HUkzxjR0[/youtube:1wsf9ow9]
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

Anthony

New Extended Super Bowl Ad:

[youtube:r3sr793r]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7krwq5hZPY0[/youtube:r3sr793r]
The trailers are failing to grab me for some reason, am I alone? I'll still be making an IMAX date anyway.

dagobert

Thanks for the trailer.

I can't wait to see the movie. It has been a long time since I have been that excited about a Disney movie. I consider this movie a Pixar production and not Disney due to Andrew Stanton.

Anthony

A new "Introduction to John Carter" video.

[youtube:324hlf7h]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ar2Z_cRVg[/youtube:324hlf7h]
Just what they needed, I think, for a wider audience to understand what this is all about. And with a good line in there that for Star Wars or Avatar, there had to be John Carter.

dagobert

Thanks for the video. It really makes me want to see that movie even more. Since I was very disappointed by Avatar, and I also had high hopes in it, I hope John Carter turns out to be better.

Anthony

Exclusive Ten Minute Scene

[youtube:3nagxvud]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HaE5Zs8dAY[/youtube:3nagxvud]
...It's epic before he even gets to Mars!

JelleP

The editing is very fast, very 'fresh'. Really great job! Can't wait to see it in IMAX 3D this wednesday! :D

mehdi5

Just came back from seeing it, a truly awesome experience. The acting is a bit shoddy from time to time i admit but the story is really immersive, and really draws you into the world of Barsoom. I really hope this does well at the box office, i would look to see the other books aswell. A really amazing film in my opinion.

Little fun fact, well my look at the title of the movie in the credits themselves, i'll put it in spoilers as it is a look at the plot.
[spoiler:2erklvjn]The movie opens with John Carter as the title, but it closes with John Carter of Mars. To me it symbolized Dejah refers to him as John Carter of Earth and John near the end ultimately refers to himself as John Carter of Mars, truely becoming one of them in the end.[/spoiler:2erklvjn]

dagobert

According to Andrew Stanton Disney forced him to change the title twice. At first the movie was called Princess of Mars, than they found out that males aren't attracted by that name and so they changed it to John Carter of Mars. However Disney didn't like that title either and so Stanton had to change it to John Carter. So I don't know if it has something to do with the plot.

DutchBrit

It doesn't seem to be doing all that well in the reviews. Film 2012 gave it a big old thumbs down and the Guardian film guy was not at all keen http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/mar ... ter-review

On Film 2012 they said that they dropped the Mars bit because it was thought that it would put off women. I wouldn't have objected to planetary references myself, but can't say what I've seen or read makes me want to go and see it.