Trip Report 17th - 21st September 2007

Started by Anonymous, September 23, 2007, 09:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loulou

Quote from: "smurfy74"the carrd machines kept breaking in the whole resort that week, we were asked to get cash for our dinne rin cafe mickey on wednesday because of the problem - they must have lost loads of business

i noticed that too, alot of the tills had signs on them saying 'no credit cards'

:cheshire_bounce:  :stitch_bounce:  :cheshire_bounce:  :stitch_bounce:  :cheshire_bounce:
When you wish upon a star

Anonymous

Before heading into the park on the second day I did a bit of shopping at Santa Fe. I bought the two Princess Float snowglobes, which are absolutely beautiful, though not quite as large as I anticipated. I'll have to take some new merchandise pictures eventually to post.

I decided to go to Walt Disney Studio's and do Crush's Coaster first thing. The queues were still quite large even first thing, and it was about a 45 minute wait.

To be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed by it first time. I think it's the sense of disorientation with the spinning, which you're not really used to when you first go on it. I rode it again later in the week and enjoyed it more on the second go.

After Crush, I got some photo's of the characters from Ratatouille and Mickey, in Toon Town.

Then I did Cars Race Rally, again, a bit underwhelming. It's a fun ride, but very much a kiddie ride, although it does have nice theming around the ride. I also did Cinemagique and Animagique before going on Rock N' Rollercoaster, and then settling down to watch the parade. I didn't really get that many photo's of the Studio's parade though.

I then headed into Disneyland Park just after lunch for the rest of the day, intending to do my favourite attractions as usual, and find a nice spot for the parade. I headed under the castle and got some pictures of the dragon. Always like to try and get some good pictures of the dragon, which I think is amazing, and I particularly liked this one.

I came out of Sleeping Beauty's Castle and saw the character train. One of the castmembers caught a glimpse at my lanyard, and gave me a knowing look, then looked down at his own pin lanyard a bit dejectedly, which was quite amusing. I thought the train was a great idea, and it's a great opportunity to get some character photo's.

I settled down just on the edge of the Central Plaza for the parade, hoping to catch different float stops. I also went to the opposite side of the road to see the other side of the floats. Unfortunately, just as the parade was due to start again, it started raining, the only rain we had all day! But it eased off about halfway through the parade.

I really like this close up of the White Rabbit.

Scar looks somehow more evil and bedraggled with his mane matted and wet with the rain.

A great Simba close up.

I ended up with a parade stop about midway between the Lion King / Jungle Book float and the first Princess float. It wasn't a bad spot. I got some nice photo's of Ariel with my zoom lens, and some pictures of Snow White and Aladdin and Jasmine when they got off the other float. They aren't as sharp as they could have been, but in some ways, I think it adds to the magical quality of them.

I think this photo of Ariel with the castle behind her and the blue sky is absolutely beautiful.

I was getting a bit vexed at this point though that I was struggling to get good photo's of the other Princesses on the parade. This was about the best shot of Belle I'd managed to get.

After spending a couple more hours in the park, I headed back to the hotel to review my pictures. It was that night I rang home and my Dad told me we'd got the diagnosis for my Mum. I couldn't hold things together and I broke down on the phone, and then when I rang off, I felt so alone - more alone than I've ever felt in my life. I'm not a particularly religious person, but that night I prayed - I prayed my Mum would find peace, my Dad would find the strength to continue and I prayed for forgiveness for myself because I was on holiday and I wasn't there for them - I was wracked with guilt, even though I'd been told to go by Mum - the last words she spoke to me were that I must go on holiday and I must enjoy myself.

I really didn't know what to do with myself that night, and I cried all night - and I decided, that if I was feeling just as lost in the morning, I must go and find someone to talk to.

Sorry for ending the report there, but I haven't got the other photo's uploaded yet. As most of you know, Disney went beyond the call of duty for me the next day, and they really got me back on track, and made it one of the magical days of my life... ever!

The Butlin Boy

Some of those photos are absolutely brilliant, well done :)

Soap

=D>  Great pictures Prince!! Thank you!
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Disneyana

You're parade pics are soooo wonderful. I just love them !
Oh Boy ! \":mickey2:\"

Anonymous

I got up on the Wednesday morning and didn't know what to do with myself. I felt so empty and on top of that, I was in such pain because my feet were very badly blistered.

I had an early breakfast planned every morning at 7:30 and I set off for the restaurant. I was in a block quite a long way from the main facilities in Santa Fe. I have to say, that one thing I quite liked about Santa Fe was the motel style where each block had it's own parking, so to save my feet, each time I went to the main building, or to get the shuttle bus, I got in my car and left it near the main block.

I went in to breakfast, and just couldn't face eating anything. I got a couple of rolls and a couple of glasses of fruit juice, but I must have looked like a ghost to people in there, as I sat down, and ended up just drinking my fruit juice.

I resolved that I had to speak to someone, if it was only a case of having someone listen to me. I wandered through to the main reception, and indicated for the girl to move over to the side for a bit of privacy and explained that I'd received bad news the night before, and I pretty much broke down on reception. I'm sure she said it was the manager she was bringing out, although I was told later in the week that they didn't have a manager at the hotel. I explained the situation again, and that I was alone at the resort, and I said I was sorry for dropping this onto them, but I felt I needed someone to talk to. They listened to me, but they explained that they didn't have any training in offering counselling at all, and said I would be better to speak to someone in the first aid centre in the Disneyland Park, which I was told was on the right hand side as you go into the park. That was going to be 10 o'clock before I could speak to anyone, so I thought I had to try and sort my feet out before then, and asked them if they could direct me to where I'd find a chemist to get some blister plasters in Val D'Europe. They told me where a pharmacy was, which was actually just before the main shopping mall, and it was virtually impossible to get parked, so I jst stuck my hazard lights on and pulled up on the road outside the chemist as I nipped in to see if I could find some gel plasters, and I managed to get a couple of packs which should see me through the week. Went back to the hotel and treated my feet, and finally started to get a bit of relief, but they were very sore to walk around on for the rest of the week, and I ended up taking the parks very slowly.

I got in the car to go back up to the main block and catch a bus to the parks, and just got there in time for one of the yellow buses.

I got into Disneyland and set off to find the first aid station, which actually turns out to be just before the Plaza restaurant, and not as you first go into the park. I asked a castmember for directions at the top of Discovery Arcade, and then wandered down the arcade, which was very quiet at this time. I went into the centre and there was a nurse in there, and I explained the situation to her, but broke down again as I was talking to her. She couldn't speak much english, and she got another castmember to listen to me too, and she got me settled down into the infirmary and got me some water, and said they would find someone who could speak good english to come and talk to me.

After a short wait, they brought a castmember from City Hall called Luc, who sat and talked to me for what must have been a good hour and a half or so. He listened to me as I explained the situation, and explained that at that point, I didn't even know whether or not my Mum had died. I explained that I felt more alone than ever before in my life, and how guilty I'd felt that I'd left others behind. We spoke alot about faith, and what my Mum would have wished, and how I could find the strength to go on, and he really helped to put things into perspective.

There wasn't anything he told me that I didn't already know rationally, but in a situation like that, your head doesn't rule your heart, and I was in complete turmoil. We talked about whether it was worth returning home early, and whether they could do anything to help me arrange that, and I explained that I'd driven myself anyway, and didn't really feel to be in a fit state for the drive at this point, and we agreed that it was my Mum's wish that I be there, and that I really needed to find a way to try and put my feelings aside for the moment, and enjoy what was left of my holiday.

Luc said that if there was anything at all that I wanted, anything special that they could arrange for me, then I should ask them, and they would see what they could do. He suggested that they could give me a VIP guided tour of the park, so a castmember would be with me all day, and he said someone would be available that day until around 5pm. They would be able to arrange special access to attractions so I wouldn't have to queue, and be able to arrange special access to shows.

I said I was already quite familiar with the park, but I said it might be a good idea to have someone with me, as I thought I would only dwell on things if I was left on my own. I said the only other thing that I would really like to do was to see the Princesses, I explained that I loved to take photo's, and had difficulties with the parade the previous two days and missed the stops for the Princess floats and said I would love get some nice photographs of the Princesses. He said he couldn't guarantee that anything could be done, but he would look into this, and get back to me, and in the meantime, would organise a guide.

When he came back, he'd found a guide which was a castmember called Daphne, and he said although they couldn't arrange a special meeting for the Princesses, we could go to the castle stage and see if we could catch them as they did a changeover, and we'd probably be able to meet a couple of the Princesses on the changeover, and possibly be able to meet someone at Cinderella's Restaurant.

I was quite overwhelmed with what they were doing for me, and the effort they were making, and I was so thankful. We made our way to the castle stage, and who should be on stage but Belle!

They had a word with the castmember who was looking after Belle, and they said when they did a changeover we'd meet the next princess coming out, and then be able to meet Belle, before she went in.

We had a quick scout around the restaurant, but there was no sign of anyone around there, so we stood and waited for the changeover.

It wasn't long before Aurora and Philip came out, and we got them to stop briefly and pose for a photograph. Aurora was absolutely stunning.

It wasn't long before Belle and the prince came off the stage and I couldn't believe it. I was about to meet Belle in Disneyland! They dashed across and came over to me, where I first asked to take their photo together. I then asked Belle if she would pose for a photo on her own, and she struck a pose straight out of Disney's merchandising, she looked absolutely beautiful. I said to her that I was probably her biggest fan, and showed her my lanyard full of Belle pins, which she said were lovely. She had a really soft french accent, and she then said to me take her hands as we posed for a couple of photo's together.

She was beautiful and enchanting, and I couldn't stop gushing about meeting Belle for the rest of the week. This was easily the highlight of my holiday, and it lifted my spirits so much. You wouldn't believe looking at those photo's, that just half an hour or so earlier I'd been an emotional wreck. I got more photo's as the week went on with me on, and it was always something my Mum complained about, that there weren't enough photo's of me around, and I wished she'd been able to see them when I got home. It would be nice to think that wherever she is now, she's been looking down and has seen the pictures of me with Belle, and around Disneyland. I have one of these pictures on my desktop at the moment, and I never thought I'd ever have a picture of myself on my PC, but this was such a happy moment for me. I know it's daft, it's not really Belle, it's just an actress - but nevertheless, she was enchanting, and she helped make my dreams come true, for one moment there, I was Belle's prince. :)

After that, Daphne and I set off around the park. She asked me if there was anything I'd like to do in particular. I asked about the Lion King show, and whether you still had to get tickets in advance. She said that you just queued now for about 10 minutes or so early, and I was a bit concerned about standing for a long period on my feet, so I said was it possible to get in to see The Lion King that afternoon, so she rang through and reserved tickets for mid afternoon.

I explained that I really wanted to see the Princess float stops in the parade, and asked where the best place to see this was. She said we could go to Bella Notte and stand outside there, and they would stop there and the Princesses would dance in front of us, and it was also a fairly quiet place to see the parade, so we planned to go there for around 3:30.

I then said there wasn't any particular attraction I was desperate to ride. I said I wasn't really in the mood for doing rollercoasters, and said perhaps it would be nice to have some of the secrets around the park pointed out to me, and have my photo taken around the park. So then we had a walk around various areas and got my photo taken around the park.

We got to Pirates of the Caribbean, and I said this had been the only attraction my Mum had really enjoyed when we came as a family in March 06. I said it would be a fitting tribute to do Pirates, and so we went straight into Pirates, and who should be there but Jack Sparrow, so I got a photo of Jack!

During the ride, Daphne told me that almost every attraction has a hidden Mickey in it somewhere. In Pirates, it's the three barrels that hang overhead the boat as you start to pass through the town. Peter Pan, it's the three volcano's as you circle the island. She said she didn't know all of them, and later on we did Snow White, and I noticed there are 3 tubs of gems at one point, and asked if that was the hidden Mickey, she said she didn't know on Snow White, but it could be.

I met Goofy and Pluto in Frontierland and had my photo taken with them. I felt a little bit guilty that castmembers were pulling characters out to meet me while lots of kids were trying to get close to them - Eeyore was here too, and so after we'd got pics with Goofy and Pluto, I said I'd pass on Eeyore, and let the kids have their time with them. I'd already met Belle after all, and no-one else could match up to Belle!

We then got some pictures outside Big Thunder Mountain in Frontierland, but they came out a little bit dark, and then rode Big Thunder Mountain.

We then set off to Discoveryland, for The Lion King show. I suggested getting some pictures outside Star Tours under the X-Wing, and explained to Daphne that Star Wars had always been a major part of my life too, and that Star Tours and Indiana Jones had been the things which originally brought me to Disney back in 1994. But I then went on to explain that now, it was just as much about all the Disney stuff.

We then went into The Lion King show. We'd got reserved seats, and they were right in the centre of the audience, perfect position to watch the show. At the end of the show, Simba came off stage, and came to shake hands with all the guests who were sat in the reserved area, which was really nice.

While we were in The Lion King show, another castmember changed over with Daphne for a while. Unfortunately, I can't remember her name, but she was german, and couldn't speak much english - but we got by. We had a walk around Fantasyland, the character express was just about to go from the castle, and we were going to stop and look, but we decided not to bother, and instead had a walk through Fantasyland. I took some pictures around Cinderella's restaurant, and then we went on Small World. This was her first job as a castmember, and it was her favourite attraction, and she was obviously very proud of it.

We then went to get our spot for the parade, it was about 3:30, and people were just starting to collect. She was going to take me across the other side of the road from Bella Notte, and I said I particularly wanted to see Belle on the float, and thought it would be better to be on the other side, and she agreed, and we stood right outside the front of Bella Notte.

The previous two days had been a bit iffy weather wise for the parade, but the sun came out on this day, and it was glorious. I couldn't wait for the parade to start, and Daphne returned just before the parade began.

I've been saying all week that the best pictures were to come, and the last two parade days, I think I took some truly stunning photo's. Some of the best photo's I've ever taken in my life.

From here, you just got awesome views of each float as they came out of the gates with all the characters assembled in front of them.

I love this shot of the Toy Story float.

Pooh's gang!

Got some great pics of Peter Pan and Wendy leaning out of the Jolly Roger.

Finally, the Princess floats arrived!!!!

Another stunningly beautiful Ariel!

And Belle had arrived!!!!

Though I think I prefer the prince she'd been with in the morning!  :wink:

After the parade, we had about 40 minutes or so before Daphne had to finish for the day, so we had a wander through Fantasyland. Did Peter Pan and Snow White, and then Daphne showed me the window in the castle that changes between the doves and the rose.

We then headed up to City Hall, where I was going to thank Luc for the day if he was still around, but unfortunately he wasn't.

I told Daphne how much I'd enjoyed the day and how much I appreciated what had been done for me, and she said she'd enjoyed it too. I said I would make a point of writing a letter to thank everyone who had touched my life that day.

I didn't bother with the extra magic hours that night, as my feet were aching so much. I did a couple more rides and then headed out of the park for the evening.

When I got back to the hotel, I stopped off at reception to leave a message as to how I'd got on over the day, and then went to the shop to get some pens and paper. I couldn't really find any suitable paper and when I explained I was wanting to write a letter to thank the staff at the resort for my day, the castmember kindly went and found me some A4 paper, and gave me an envelope. I sat down and wrote about 4 and half pages of A4 that night, which really came from the heart.

They'd shown me a truly magical day, and although it couldn't erase the pain I'd been feeling, they'd eased the pain and given me the strength to carry on.

I will never forget what Luc and Daphne did for me that day, and all the other people who helped that day, like the actress who played Belle, and all the other castmembers we came across.

After ending on such a dark note last night, it's nice to end tonight's report on an uplifting note.

Nicholas-c

Wow, i feel sorry that you were at dlrp as a wreck but by what you said about luc talking to you is cool

QuoteLuc said that if there was anything at all that I wanted, anything special that they could arrange for me, then I should ask them, and they would see what they could do. He suggested that they could give me a VIP guided tour of the park, so a castmember would be with me all day, and he said someone would be available that day until around 5pm. They would be able to arrange special access to attractions so I wouldn't have to queue, and be able to arrange special access to shows.

Did you take the tour or anything that day ?
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Anonymous

That was the tour, with Daphne.

And they'd arranged that special meeting with Belle.

:)

They were all an anchor for me that day. Without those people, I don't know what I would have done that day.

It wasn't just Luc and Daphne, though they both deserve special praise, but everyone in the resort who crossed my path that day was amazing - I'll never forget any of them - I intend to send some links to my photo's to them at some point, I said I would in the letter I wrote to them.

It might be an idea to send them a link to this thread, so people at DLRP can read it and see how much they helped me through. I'll never hear a bad word said about DLRP and it's castmembers after the amazing treatment they gave me when I needed it.

Nicholas-c

Quote from: "Dark_Prince"That was the tour, with Daphne.

And they'd arranged that special meeting with Belle.

cool :P take it they turned it into a fun day then :D
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

tubbsy

Disney at its best. Its wonderful what they did for you. They would probably say its what they are emplyed to do, but I think that just shows how far the Disney magic goes.

Beautiful photos Prince

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

Anonymous

Quote from: "tubbsy"Disney at its best. Its wonderful what they did for you. They would probably say its what they are emplyed to do, but I think that just shows how far the Disney magic goes.

As I keep saying, I'll never forget it - I felt they went beyond the call of duty last Wednesday. It's hard to believe it's a week ago today.

Xinda

Wow that's an amazing day that you had last week.

I'm glad that you had such a great time there, it must have given you a lot of strength.
Dead man tell no tales

DisneyAlba

What a wonderful story, DP. What a good idea to have a cast member around you for the day.
You can take the girl out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the girl.

Anonymous

Oh, we also talked a little bit about next year's theme at DLRP, and I was told that they were planning a mini-celebration of Mickey's birthday next year!

RnRCj

Geat report Dark Prince :wink:

Usually when I read reports I just skim through them, picking out what they went on and what they thought, but your report seemed to make me read it thoroughly. You had such an interesting trip :)  I think it's absolutely great what the CM's did for you, and it seems they really did make your dreams come true :)

Your photos are brilliant also. I didn't get many of the Once Upon A Dream Parade, so I really enjoyed looking at yours :wink: