Disney & Lucas

Started by Imagineer, August 06, 2007, 04:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imagineer

Since the first time I went to DLRP I asked myself: why are there Indiana Jones and Star Wars attractions in a Disney theme park?  :? They are George Lucas movies, they shouldn't be in here  :roll: . Wich is the relationship between Disney and Lucas?
Could somebody anwer to this question? Thanks a lot!  :D

peep

I kept thinking that myself. I was informed the other week that Disney have some form of contract with Lucas to be able to use the film franchises in the parks or something. Hopefully someone can share more info on this?
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

RnRCj

There's Armageddon in the Studios as well. How is that related to Disney? :?

Patrick

Quote from: "RnRCj"There's Armageddon in the Studios as well. How is that related to Disney? :?

Disney own the movie company that made it :lol: .

Anthony

The story of Lucas and Disney? I'll summarise...

It began with Captain EO in 1986. I'm not sure how, but it did.

Then, Disney wanted to build a space simulator ride based on their film The Black Hole, but it was rubbish so they didn't.

Disney then approached Lucasfilm about using Star Wars instead, George Lucas agreed. They bought 4 industrial flight simulators whilst Lucas' ILM worked on the ride film. It opened in 1987.

Indiana Jones met Disney with the stunt show at Disney-MGM in 1989, I guess because of the success of Star Tours. Followed by Paris' Temple of Peril in 1993 and the "proper" Indiana Jones Adventure in 1995 at Disneyland.

Things trailed off at the end of the 90s, but now word keeps running around that the partnership could reform soon for a new Star Tours. :)

Haz

Just to add a little, in 1984 there was an attempted hostile take-over of the Walt Disney Productions, can't remember who. This was resisted and out of all this came a young hot shot from paramount pictures, a mr Michael Eisner.

This Gentleman :x had already in his previour job given the green light to Raiders of the lost ark and thus had a good realtionship with G.Lucas.

This is how the story of the realionship started.
All the Best,

Haz

RnRCj

Quote from: "PATMAGIC"
Quote from: "RnRCj"There's Armageddon in the Studios as well. How is that related to Disney? :?

Disney own the movie company that made it :lol: .

Oh okay ](*,) I should have researched a bit before posting that :P

peep

Quote from: "Haz"Just to add a little, in 1984 there was an attempted hostile take-over of the Walt Disney Productions, can't remember who. This was resisted and out of all this came a young hot shot from paramount pictures, a mr Michael Eisner.

This Gentleman :x had already in his previour job given the green light to Raiders of the lost ark and thus had a good realtionship with G.Lucas.

This is how the story of the realionship started.

Ah, I should know all about that, its in the book I read last year, Disney War (basically has every little detail of when Eisner was in control). It is very interesting how this things come about.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Parkfisch

Quote from: "Baloo"Followed by Paris' Temple of Peril in 1993 and the "proper" Indiana Jones Adventure in 1995 at Disneyland.

...and Tokyo's version of both rides in 2001.  :D

Anonymous

I've said it before - I think Lucas properties are a perfect fit in Disney parks.

I think both men are / were visionaries. They both built up huge entertainment empires around family oriented movies, and both have pushed forward technology in movies and entertainment.

I think in many ways George Lucas is a modern day Walt Disney, and I think it's disappointing that he doesn't get the recognition he deserves from a lot of people. Almost every film you see these days, has some input from a Lucas company, whether it's effects provided by ILM or sound recorded at Skywalker Sound. ILM has pioneered special effects in film, and most of the films we take for granted now like Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Transformers, Spider-Man etc, would never have been possible without the work ILM did (either on these films or beforehand to get the industry to that point).

The inclusion of Star Wars and Indiana Jones in the Disney parks was what initially drew me to DLRP, although now, it's many other things too, but I think this is a natural partnership.

Imagineer

Quote from: "Dark_Prince"ILM has pioneered special effects in film, and most of the films we take for granted now like Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Transformers, Spider-Man etc, would never have been possible without the work ILM did.
And don't forget Pirates of the Caribbean!

Anonymous

And don't forget that Pixar was originally a Lucas company!