Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast (8th April 2006)

Started by Anthony, March 14, 2005, 12:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Welcome, Space Rangers!

I come in peace.  I am here to bring to you this official topic for Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast, the new attraction opening in Disneyland Park on the 8th April 2006.  Post any news or rumours about the attraction here, and help protect the galaxy from the threat of invasion by the evil emperor Zurg!

Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast Fact File

Opening Date
8th April 2006

Previous "Le Visionarium" building.  Also uses space of the old "Arcade Omega".

Attraction Type
Interactive dark ride; Omnimover system with guest-controlled spinning cars each featuring 2 laser guns and 2 LED score displays

More Info
An almost exact clone of the similar rides already open in Disneyland Resort, Hong Kong Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Resort under the name "Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters".  Features the same scenes but in a slightly different layout, to allow the ride to be "shoe-horned" into the Le Visionarium building.  These 4 recent Buzz attractions are improved and updated versions of the original Walt Disney World version - "Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin".

Useful Links

:arrow: Official Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast website
:arrow: Photos Magiques Construction Gallery
:arrow: DLRP Magic! Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast guide

To Infinity And Beyond!

Anthony

Apparently "Laser Blast" isn't the final name of this attraction at all.  Disneyland Resort Paris are currently running a survey to find out what the public would prefer the attraction to be called:

//http://www.disneylandparis.com/uk/survey/

Here's the options:
Buzz Lightyear's Cosmic Adventure
Buzz Lightyear's Cosmic Blast
Buzz Lightyear's Intergalactic Adventure
Buzz Lightyear's Space Adventure

Which did you choose?

And will DLRP really use whichever one comes out top?  I doubt it to be honest - no doubt they'll listen to the feedback put into the "comments" section just as much as the voting, and so the final name might not be any of these but a totally different combination of spacey words based on the feedback.  :wink:

Anthony

As I just said in a rather moany post on DLP.info (just trying to fit in over there...  :twisted: ):

Those names are TERRIBLE!! They don't have any kind of ring to them and they just don't fit together right. Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast was cool, and IMO far better than "Space Ranger Spin" or "Astro Blasters". Maybe they can't use "Laser Blast" for some reason? Or maybe it was wasn't meant to be seen as the official attraction title but more as a description of the ride?

I think Laser Blast somehow fitted Discoveryland better than any of the other resorts' names or the suggested names here aswell, since I really don't associate Discoveryland with the words "Space Ranger", "Astro", "Intergalactic" or "Cosmic". They're too modern and simply don't fit. "Laser Blast", however, was a nice normal name that was actually something the average park guest might say. I can image normal guests saying:
"let's go on Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast!"
"let's go on Buzz's Laser Blast!"
"let's go on Laser Blast!"

Whereas I *really* don't see anyone saying any of the following:
"let's go on Buzz's Cosmic Adventure!"
"let's go on Buzz's Intergalactic Adventure!"
"let's go on Cosmic Blast!"
"let's go on Buzz's Space Adventure!"

I also copied most of the above into the "feedback" bit of the survey, adding that Laser Blast helps guests to understand what the attraction is about much quicker aswell...

This might all seem a little over the top for a simple name, but a name could make or break this, and when it's going to be Disneyland Park's first new attraction in 7 years it does sorta matter to me...  :wink:

Jorien

Quote from: "Baloo"I can image normal guests saying:
"let's go on Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast!"
"let's go on Buzz's Laser Blast!"
"let's go on Laser Blast!"

Whereas I *really* don't see anyone saying any of the following:
"let's go on Buzz's Cosmic Adventure!"
"let's go on Buzz's Intergalactic Adventure!"
"let's go on Cosmic Blast!"
"let's go on Buzz's Space Adventure!"

I have to say you're very right about that! It does sound a lot better indeed, then all the new names.

Jorien  :D

Kristof

Laser Blast sounds much better...  That was my suggestion too in the survey  :wink:

Kris

Me too. Where it asked for suggestions or info, I put Laser Blast too. It's been the name for a while now and I really like it. The others are far too complicated so shouldn't stick.
Grab a balloon, come on let\'s go!

(*GT*)$un

Laser blast sounds much better for me   8)

Anthony

The name has been confirmed in a new press release:

English version

Your Toys need you!

Buckle up with Buzz Lightyear and defend your toys against the Evil Emperor Zurg – on a code-red intergalactic emergency ride into the Gamma Quadrant.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to fly with Buzz from Star Command's Action Centre and stop Zurg's power-hungry plan to capture all the batteries in the Universe – leaving every toy powerless against his twisted evil ways.

As a sworn enemy of Zurg, pilot your own interactive XP-38 Space Cruiser and navigate your way through the severest asteroid storms. Hit Zurg where it really hurts – with your twin laser-beam ion pulse cannons.
Use your craft's target recognition software to keep track of your hits and points – add them to a leader board to impress Buzz and earn yourself a hero's welcome on your return to Star Command.

Of course, to go to infinity and beyond, save the toys and restore peace and harmony in the Universe is all in a day's work for an Elite Space Ranger like you.

Kris

I'm sorry but Space Adventure just doesn't do anything for me  :roll:

I can't understand why they started with a great name then wanted to change it. Oh well, at least we get the attraction I guess.
Grab a balloon, come on let\'s go!

Anthony

Yeah, we're getting a new ride, and an omnimover one at that (I love them things!), but the name is just so nondescript and dull.  It doesn't mentioned the spinning, it doesn't mention the laser guns, nothing!  For all the general public know, it could be SM rethemed again!  :x

Give us Cosmic Blast / Astro Blasters / Laser Blast pleeeeeaaassee DLRP!  It's not too late!

PS: And while you're at it DLRP, *please* don't name ToT "Tour du Terreur" or whatever.  It just loses so much impact and... it's meant to be in Hollywood!  We don't have "L'Arcade de Libertie" in Main Street do we?  Whether a name is in English or French should depend on the ride's theme and which fits better.  Frontierland's attractions are all English because it's America.  On the other hand, Fantasyland has a mixture of french/english because some rides are more based in France than Britain (Le Chateau vs. Peter Pan's Flight).  OK, I've made my point now.  I hope André just used "Tour de Terreur" in that TV interview to stop the woman repeating it in French for him...  :lol: Mini-rant over!

Scriptkiddie

Woohoo I chose for Space Adventure  8)  :wink:.
The party will commence only at:
//http://www.happy-haunts.com

Kristof

Space Mountain, Space Adventure...

First timers will get confused!!!   :lol:

Anthony

Quote from: "raptor1982"Space Mountain, Space Adventure...

First timers will get confused!!!   :lol:

Yeah!  With new attractions two years in a row with "Space" in the names people are going to be really uninterested in Buzz when it arrives...  :(

Disc°o°veryBoy

what about french people???
I think it REALLy is a bad idea to call buzz "space adventure":
1/ it doesn't sound good
2/ French people always use the shortest name possible for the attraction (ie space mountain a lot of french people call it "space") and they get confused easily if you put too many english words (like pirates of the "carrabine" [a carrabine is a kind of gun] lol)
3/ When you go in an attraction called "laser blast" you easily guess that it's gonna be with laser whereas space adventure doesnt mean anything at all... i'm sure a lot of guests will ask if i'ts not a roller coaster!!!!
4/ Don't you think that there's gonna be too many "space"s in discoveryland??? lol
i'm talking about all these problems as i'm French and CM... so i know the guests and especially the french ones!!! lol
to me they should have kept laser blast it sounded cool and original!
Castonaute - Mission 2 Opening Team

Kristof

Yeah, I agree Discoveryboy.  There's too much space in discoveryland ;-).

Laser Blast sounded so much better.