Toon Studio placemaking

Started by Anthony, March 14, 2005, 12:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

experiment627

Quote from: "Baloo"An extra store would help to make Toon Studios into more a real Disney "land", with more to do than just attractions.

I see your point.

However, the park was built with an annual attendance of four million in mind, and for that the capacities for stores and restaurants were laid out. (When was the last day that all of the restaurants plus the remaining Studio Catering carts were open at the same time?)

Plus, it could be (and now I'm leaning out of the window... which I don't like... I'm so not free of heights...) that they're still planning that boulevard most here dream about - and what else could they put in there (besides maybe one attraction) than lots of space for stores and F&B...

I think that the fact that no new stores have shown up on the concept art released by Disney might point to the fact that Disney shares this view - For it makes sense.

(But then again, I wouldn't be too surprised if they squeezed in just a couple of squaremetres for a shop... Toon Studios will probably be a pretty condensed and highly frequented area of the park)

Anthony

Quote from: "experiment627"Plus, it could be (and now I'm leaning out of the window... which I don't like... I'm so not free of heights...) that they're still planning that boulevard most here dream about - and what else could they put in there (besides maybe one attraction) than lots of space for stores and F&B...
The boulevard - yep, I think you've got it.  Still doesn't excuse such a lack of amenities in Animation Courtyard, but I can understand the way they're thinking, if this is the case.  I do think, however, that boutiques and restaurants should be spread out across the park and not centralised.  I don't like how they have two massive shops at the entrance/exit of the park at the moment and then nothing else - so I don't think I'd like a boulevard of shops and restaurants and then nothing else.  It's just not balanced well and doesn't keep people busy between attractions.

Anyway, here's how Toon Studios looks at the moment:

//http://www.disneytheque.com/phototheque/disneyland_resort_paris/placemaking/060611/003.jpg

Source: Kyoto Disneytheque

Many more concrete wall pieces have gone up and the steel roof structure of the coaster has continued growing.  They've also closed a large part of the front of the carpets, so perhaps this has something to do with the placemaking aswell?  It does seem that the viewing tower is closed now, so no more aerial views of Toon Studios for a while!  :(

Kristof

Luckily there are still the Flying Carpets for aerial photos  :wink:

More: http://www.photosmagiques.com/gallery/t ... ion?page=1

Fantillusion

looking so good!
-Craig

Anthony

Wow!  The front building there makes the area feel so much more cosy and complete, just from looking at it.  I also like how the coaster building blocks out Big Thunder Mountain perfectly, very well placed!

Can you see any of Toon Studios from Frontierland, though?  :?

Kris

Good point about blocking it out! Never thought of that. I doubt Toon Studios will be high enough to see over the trees if that's all you see of BTM, but sure is a good visual trick for WDS. Fills the gap (closes it off as you say) AND disguises how close you are to BTM.
Grab a balloon, come on let\'s go!

experiment627

Quote from: "Baloo"I also like how the coaster building blocks out Big Thunder Mountain perfectly, very well placed!

That's what I was wondering about ... thanks for the picture to sort that out!

Patrick

Dunno if anyone has seen this before, it just seems new to me.

Source: MiceAge

Kristof

You have to read this too, about the re-theming and expansion of WDS:  :shock:  :o  :o  :o

http://www.miceage.com/guest/gu061306a.htm

Anthony

*jaw drops to the ground*

Yep, that's how it's going to look.  Looks pretty good.  Not sure I like the wall at the back, but the rest is superb, really really amazing.  The landscaping around Cars is brilliant and I love the entrance/exit area of Crush.

The Hollywood hills backdrop says "Toon Town" though, which is interesting...  The paint splashes next to the Crush building look quite good, I hope they add them across the whole land.  You can see the relocated Studio Catering Co. van towards the back aswell.

Those two gates are interesting... the one on the right seems to be closed, with the ToonTown backdrop behind it, whilst the one on the left seems to be open, leading somewhere else.  I guess this is for the path they're going to put behind Art of Disney?

Oh, and I have to say this - the proper, non-asphalt, lighter-coloured flooring makes the area look great! lol

Kristof

It looks better then on the plans I've seen... Wonder which one will make it.

Maarten

:shock:  :o

These ideas really sound amazing. I really like it a lot, I can't wait! Another thing mentioned in the article is that Production Courtyard may become Hollywood Studios. Thats the right direction in my opinion. Production Courtyard should become a pueblo deco square, with the feeling of "Hollywood of the golden ages" throughout. Now, if they will move the entrance of the Studio Tram Tour to Backlot and not call it Action Studios, then its awesome!  :D

By the way, although the writer says that Backlot/Action Studios won't have a major Placemaking project, I still hope they will add some trees or some extra sets. Wouldn't the set of Cruella de Vil's house at Disney's California Adventure look great between the entrance of Rock 'n RollerCoaster and Moteurs? This way the square will seem less open and it will add as a weenie when you look at it from Production Courtyard. Last but not least they can use it as a permanent stage of Starring Cruella de Vil...  8)

Ow, sorry, I'm going offtopic again...

Poppy The Monkey

Wow!

Just amazing!

I quite like the wall in the back of the land, if it is done in the same style as some of the walls around Phantom Manor, it will add a nice contrasting corner to the land. I love the idea of an "area" that is not accessible and can only be seen through those iron gates, full of mystery, I just hope they do it well.

I lke how they have added a new Incredibles photo spot too.

The gate on the left must lead to that rumored "photo location street" or could it lead to the backlot area, where the props are kept, like was also rumored? Or perhaps it will be locked also.

I hope that they don't miss a huge opportunity though, looking at the bottom right of the photo, you can see a cliffed area and a bridge from Aladdin. I would be so fantastic if they added a waterfall here, falling from the cliffs to a small pond below the bridge, in the style of the ones near skull rock in adventureland.

I think it would look so good coming out of studio 1 and looking right to see a waterfall in the distance, and really bring the park to life, even when looking over from production courtyard.  

But even without my idea, I am very impressed/excited.

Anthony

Quote from: "Poppy The Monkey"I hope that they don't miss a huge opportunity though, looking at the bottom right of the photo, you can see a cliffed area and a bridge from Aladdin. I would be so fantastic if they added a waterfall here, falling from the cliffs to a small pond below the bridge, in the style of the ones near skull rock in adventureland.
This is immediately what I pictured when I saw that area, too.  It reminds me a lot of Adventureland, and looking closely at the concept art there does appear to be some kind of landscaping feature there, next to some kind of wooden decking/bridge.  WDS doesn't featuring anything at all like this, so it would give the park much more depth and interest.  Fingers crossed!  :)

The Butlin Boy

It looks absolutely incredible, i hope it looks 100% like that!
I'm really excited about this now! :D