Gentlest roller coaster at DLP?

Started by MinniesTeaParty, October 22, 2018, 06:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinniesTeaParty

Confession: I haven't ridden a roller coaster in more than 25 years. But I used to like them. What is the easiest coaster to ride at DLP? How does Big Thunder RR at DLP compare to Big Thunder at Disney World in Florida?

I have a 5-year old daughter so eventually I'm going to have to find answers to these questions one way or another. 😬

Zee79

DC

Quote from: MinniesTeaParty on October 22, 2018, 06:39:31 PM
Confession: I haven't ridden a roller coaster in more than 25 years. But I used to like them. What is the easiest coaster to ride at DLP?
Casey Jr.  ;D

MinniesTeaParty

Ok. I wasn't counting Casey Jr. which both my daughter and I love. She will ride it repeatedly. Thank heavens for short lines there. But does anyone have an opinion about which of the other coasters would be the easiest on a very out-of-practice now-middle-aged former coaster-lover?

claire2281

BtM is quite a bit faster than its Florida cousins. It's a thrilling ride but not scary imo. There are no inversions obviously for a start.

If you weren't bothered by coasters before then I'm sure you'll be fine with BtM.

Then there's Crush which depends upon your tolerance of spinning - some people hate those kinds of coasters more than anything!

Indiana Jones is the next stage up. Because it's relatively small it's one inversion (a loop) can feel less tame than it looks but that is really its only big moment.

Lastly, Space Mountain and Rock N Roller are extremely similar. They're both launch coasters, both in the dark, both with multiple inversions - loops and corkscrews. SM's refurb has made it smoother but RnR still gives the better ride experience imo. SM gives you a bit of a beating and I think it's the coaster I've been on that requires YOU to have the most core strength to make it more comfortable  ;D
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

DC

Quote from: MinniesTeaParty on October 22, 2018, 08:47:34 PM
But does anyone have an opinion about which of the other coasters would be the easiest on a very out-of-practice now-middle-aged former coaster-lover?
IMO, start with BTM and if you care easily bare it, try Indiana. If you both can manage it, then Crush and finally RnR and Space Mountain. These last 3 can be very intense.

MinniesTeaParty

Thank you, DC and Claire, for your replies. Big Thunder Mountain sounds like the place to start. I'm looking forward to the adventure.

aj2703

Quote from: MinniesTeaParty on October 22, 2018, 08:47:34 PM
Ok. I wasn't counting Casey Jr. which both my daughter and I love. She will ride it repeatedly. Thank heavens for short lines there. But does anyone have an opinion about which of the other coasters would be the easiest on a very out-of-practice now-middle-aged former coaster-lover?

It's not exactly a coaster but what about Pirates of the Caribbean?. It's on water with a few gentle slopes that might be a good starter before the more energetic ones :-)

Qscout

Me I'd do it in reverse. Start with Space Mountain. Yes it may scare the beejeezus out of you but, if you can ride that, the rest are a breeze!

Kyriad Apr 08
Hotel Cheyenne Dec 09
Hotel Santa Fe Apr 11
Pop Century WDW Apr 17
Hotel Cheyenne Sep 17
Newport Bay Apr 18
Hotel New York Dec 18
Coronado Springs WDW Apr 19
Newport Bay Dec 19
Newport Bay Sep 20 Covid  Cancelled
Newport Bay Dec 21 ???

stevemc

Quote from: Qscout on January 02, 2019, 04:21:53 PM
Me I'd do it in reverse. Start with Space Mountain. Yes it may scare the beejeezus out of you but, if you can ride that, the rest are a breeze!

I'd agree, we put our 6 year old on Space Mountain in August 2017, as her first roller-coaster experience. In fairness she did look like something out of the exorcist in the photos they take :), but she went on to ride more roller-coasters than her older sisters on the trip. She also did BTM and Crushes coaster. We still haven't got any of the kids to do R&R or Indiana Jones yet.

Another suggestion would be to make sure you aren't in the front carriage, that can make a huge difference on some of them, especially Indiana Jones.