First visit February 18 - where should we stay?

Started by Annalt, October 25, 2017, 10:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annalt

Hello we are visiting in February 2018 for the first time. Trying to decide between Newport bay and New York? Which would you suggest, the price is the same at both. Is it worth paying more for a lakeside room? We are a family of four, with  6 year old twins. Also is the Wild West show worth it???? Thank you

polar vixen

Id go newprt bay as its freshly refurbished. And bbwws is amazing! Been every year for the past 7 yrs and wouldnt miss it!

MinniesTeaParty

We thought Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show was incredible. My 4-year-old daughter loved it and can't wait to go back. The Category 2 seating is really very good. We actually thought we liked our view better than Cat 1 because we had a good overview. None of the seating is very far from the action and the performers do a god job of playing to all sides. We liked the food. A great way to spend an evening, especially when the park closes early.

bp_serene

We stayed in Newport Bay and it was immaculate, lovely hotel. I've heard that HNY is much more dated and in need of a refurb. I would stay in NBC again in a heartbeat :)

claire2281

I echo the thoughts already here - Newport Bay over New York every time. The NBC is freshly refurbished whereas the HNY is closing in October 2018 for a massive refurb/re-design. I've only stayed in each once and tbh I'd go back to the NBC but the HNY was bland and left no impression on me at all.

Buffalo Bill's is expensive but it's a great show, very different from anything else you'll see there and the food was basic but filling. It's a fun evening and whenever I take school trips I ensure we book it.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

grovesie

Just to throw a spanner in the works....... Does a Golden Forest room at Sequoia cost much more?
Yes the NPB hotel has been refurbished and is now really fresh and I agree the New York Hotel does and will be getting a make over. For me I would stay at the Sequoia Hotel for this time of the year. The hotel theme is extremely satisfying during the winter months, the big log fires etc, and if the Golden Forrest room is a similar price the extras you get is a deal breaker.

loladelorean

Quote from: grovesie on October 26, 2017, 09:35:08 AM
Just to throw a spanner in the works....... Does a Golden Forest room at Sequoia cost much more?
Yes the NPB hotel has been refurbished and is now really fresh and I agree the New York Hotel does and will be getting a make over. For me I would stay at the Sequoia Hotel for this time of the year. The hotel theme is extremely satisfying during the winter months, the big log fires etc, and if the Golden Forrest room is a similar price the extras you get is a deal breaker.

I second this - personally I prefer the theme of the Sequoia Lodge to Newport Bay. We were unlucky in Newport and got the furthest possible room from the reception - over 15 min walk inside the hotel. Golden Forest at SL would be better than either NBC or HNY in my opinion :) as you get hot breakfast, free snacks, fastpasses, and a guaranteed room close to reception!
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

haribosmum

I'll go against the general consensus and say New York, we're back there in Feb next year (empire state room as cost less than a normal room + breakfast and we get the extras).  We stayed in Golden forest room last august and just didn't like the hotel as much as the New York (I know it's all very personal taste).  I would try the compass club rooms but whenever I look at prices and dates they are significantly more (than even empire state rooms) but think they'll be our only option when the New York shuts next October.

Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

aj2703

We stayed in HNY for the first time in 2015.

Here is a video of our room. Plaza Lakeside I think it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nGe1mBmUVI

Here is one of the hotel. I don't think it looked dated at all from what I could see. I can't give an opinion of Newport Bay but I can recommend Sequoia Lodge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkZse3fsQu0