CinéMagique - Closed 29th March 2017

Started by claire2281, February 26, 2017, 12:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormflm595

Honestly, I think the Company is doing the best thing for the parks at the moment. The 25th stuff looks great and everything but it will not solve the financial problems - making the parks more appealing to a wider audience who normally would be opposed to going anywhere with 'Disney' in the name might think twice to experience the Star Wars and future Marvel offerings.

I'm not a massive fan of Marvel (I used to be but it's getting a bit samey now ;) ) but I love Star Wars and the fact that the Company is adding in more pop culture - pop culture that Disney owns/has rights to so it is still Disney - can only be a good thing. Look at Seasons of the Force and how successful that has been! I don't think I've ever seen the Studios as crowded as it has been whilst it has been on! I really really think this will put DLP back on the map and a park to visit from other countries.

Besides, Tower of Terror, Rock 'N Roller Coaster etc. are not Disney and were possibly hated on when they were first unveiled but now they are much loved, classic attractions.

The parks have to move forward with the times otherwise it will be the same experience time and time and again and will reduce guest numbers even more (particular with prices rising every year). It's simple really - if you're not into the new attractions, then don't experience them!!
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

PMF

Quote from: stormflm595 on February 27, 2017, 02:49:57 PM
Besides, Tower of Terror, Rock 'N Roller Coaster etc. are not Disney
In California they are making Tower of Terror "Disney" unfortunately.

disneymagic006

I think the studios park should be all about moving with the times, the magic of the big screen, special effects and that includes all that is new and current. Star wars and marvel provide this (along with being established and well loved brands in their own right). I'm all for it.

I particularly love how this park captures innovation through the ages, from the golden Hollywood era through to the cutting edge animation from the Pixar studios. It's a lovely mix.

Bits like the Reign of fire set may not be based on the most memorable films but it's about showing the production and creating cool effects.

Disneyland park for me is mainly about the classics and the main Disney vision and is like stepping back in time, which I love too. They both have their own identities and that is great.

I never really liked cinemagique so am happy for a change here. Another live show would be a big benefit to the park.
1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2010 - Sequoia Lodge (January)
2010 - Newport Bay (August)
2015 - Cheyenne
2017 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest stay booked for 5 nights July 2017. Excited for the 25th Anniversary!

Rocketeer

As stormflm595 alluded to, another contributing factor for CineMagic heading to Yesterland... all those films that they have to pay usage rights for. The suits must really hate shelling out for something they don't own. Hence part of the reason for that horried retheme on DCA's ToT. (On the flipside, they must love owning the Marvel characters that Universal Orlando has to pay for now!)

Having said that, I'm pretty sure a lot of us would be just as happy with "CineMagic II: Disney Edition". It's not like they couldn't do it. There's 90 years of content they could utilise.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Andybear

Quote from: Rocketeer on February 27, 2017, 04:53:45 PM
As stormflm595 alluded to, another contributing factor for CineMagic heading to Yesterland... all those films that they have to pay usage rights for. The suits must really hate shelling out for something they don't own. Hence part of the reason for that horried retheme on DCA's ToT. (On the flipside, they must love owning the Marvel characters that Universal Orlando has to pay for now!)

Having said that, I'm pretty sure a lot of us would be just as happy with "CineMagic II: Disney Edition". It's not like they couldn't do it. There's 90 years of content they could utilise.

BIB:  I would love that  :)

jacmurphy

For me too much marvel or star wars would have the opposite effect. I don't particularly like studios at the moment as it is, as there is not enough disney there for me - and this is the reason i have gone to "Disneyland paris"
May 2015 Explorer
Sept 2015 B&B (Old one)
Dec 2015 Davy Crockett
March 2016 Davy Crockett
June 2016 New B&B
Sept 2016 New B&B
Nov 2016 Hotel Cheyenne
Feb 2017 Sequoia Lodge

mickey1980

Very excited about this news. Sure Cinemagique is a nice show. But let's face it. It had it's time and is horribly out dated looking from a young persons point of view.
Marvel is big draw with todays kids and teens, and the parks need to move forward. Let's hope they will soon announce some kind of a master plan for the studios.

Why Cinemagique closed and Armageddon: les Effets Spéciaux get's to stay is beyond me?!  ;D ;D ;D
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Rocketeer

^I'd only assume that AES has outlasted Cinemagique is down to the rights issue.

Who knows, maybe that's another attraction that is on road to retirement.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Andybear

Quote from: mickey1980 on February 28, 2017, 08:11:26 PM
Very excited about this news. Sure Cinemagique is a nice show. But let's face it. It had it's time and is horribly out dated looking from a young persons point of view.
Marvel is big draw with todays kids and teens, and the parks need to move forward. Let's hope they will soon announce some kind of a master plan for the studios.

Why Cinemagique closed and Armageddon: les Effets Spéciaux get's to stay is beyond me?!  ;D ;D ;D

Not everyone who goes to the parks is a kid or a teen, the world doesn't revolve around them.  Adults count too.  Since I don't have kids I go during the school term time and there are plenty of adults without kids or teens there then.   Actually it's adults who pay for the kids and teens to go there. 

claire2281

Quote from: mickey1980 on February 28, 2017, 08:11:26 PM

Marvel is a big draw with a lot of adults too. I work at conventions in my spare time and the popularity of Marvel is phenomenal.

QuoteWhy Cinemagique closed and Armageddon: les Effets Spéciaux get's to stay is beyond me?!  ;D ;D ;D

I honestly think that Armageddon is more expensive and harder to change. It's better for them if they can change it for an attraction which uses the current infrastructure but they might not have anything suitable. It's a small building so there's only so much they could do with it as it stands.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

macca1476

I quite liked cinemagique, it was one of those things that you just dont see anywhere else.

Hoping Studios might be in for an enhancement program along the lines of the changes Disney California Adventure went through. Reading about it, the two parks seem similar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_California_Adventure#2007.E2.80.932012_redesign_and_expansion

Also if you look at Studios as you come out to the left of Studio 1, there isn't really much at all until you reach Aerosmith. Certainly not anything you would consider to be Disney magic.

Not sure Star Wars or Marvel really fall under Disney magic, but whatever comes in needs to be themed really well at a similar level to the Ratatouille area.

PMF

Quote from: macca1476 on March 01, 2017, 10:28:47 AM
Not sure Star Wars or Marvel really fall under Disney magic,
Star Wars, maybe. Marvel, definitely not!

Rocketeer

Funny at the debate about LucasFilm and Marvel being Disney or not. I suppose it is a little subjective.

To me they are part of the Disney Family, just like Pixar and the Muppets. Even when the Power Rangers were briefly owned by the Mouse, they were still "Disney".

There's more of a connection between LucasFilm and the company than there is for Marvel - however it is Disney that bankrolled the Mavel films, and no doubt do have some imput to ensure that they live up to not only the Marvel name, but also that of Disney.

Look at it another way, at least they are Disney owned characters. It's not like we're going back to the days of the Ninja Turtles and Ace Ventura in the parks.

mickey1980

I'm sure the Imagineers can make a Marvelland just as impressive as they are currently doing with Avatar and Star Wars expansions. I wouldn't mind if the complete left side of the park will be sacrificed doing so. There is nothing there that will be missed by many. Maybe even rebrand the Tower Of Terror. Which I truly love. But it's location is really oddly placed. With no references leading up to it.

I did some home imagineering with maps. As you can see there is lots of space in the Studios for future expansions. Only to do so, tramtour has to go. As concluded many times it's placement blocks every possible expansion of the park.

Just not sure where to put a lake  ;)

Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Rocketeer

I guess that is probably the best direction to take it.  And could the Tram Tour not go around the back of the property?

And you can see that there's a fair sized chunk of land sat next to Studio 2 - surely that should be used by now?