Pirates of the Caribbean 2017 refurbishment (EEP)

Started by msRavenswood, July 28, 2016, 08:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: msRavenswood on August 01, 2016, 08:05:46 PM
Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on August 01, 2016, 04:11:47 PM

You cannot call a ride PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN and then not have the characters from the movies, if the ride has a different name then its more do-able.

But it was the movies that were based on the ride, not vice versa. The ride has been called The Pirates of the Caribbean since the very beginning, it's the rightful owner of the name and it doesn't need characters and elements from the movies to justify it.

I understand and I like the sentiment but you just can't do it nowadays, some people getting on that ride will almost certainly be disappointed not to see Captain jack or Barbosa etc. Especially kids who grew up with the movies. If they don't want the characters they could just change the ride name to...I dunno really, Pirates of the Seven Seas? :P Someone could come up with a better name.

IMO though it just can't stay as it is, characters have to go into it, I think the Anaheim version does this very well.

DisneyGagaChick

I would much rather see the Disneyland version be installed in the DLP POTC. The Shanghai Disneyland version is too much tech imo.

Rocketeer

^And that's part of my worry about these updates. I'd rather see physical effects than some omnisphere screen.

However, I would add that projection mapping is a clever innovention and that can be added to the existing attraction without making too many changes.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

DisneyGagaChick

Quote from: Rocketeer on August 03, 2016, 08:26:44 PM
However, I would add that projection mapping is a clever innovention and that can be added to the existing attraction without making too many changes.

I agree on that part, but I wouldn't like for them to use as much projection mapping as SDL do. The Jack Sparrow effect is good though.

mickey1980

I love the park and still consider it to be the most beautiful main park ever build.
But it stayed more or less the same since 1992. So these updates are long looong overdue.

Maybe because they never build any modern style additions people don't notice that basically all the rides are outdated.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiƫsto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Rocketeer

^I agree for the most part. Some of the older attraction do show their age. However, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with Pirates - its still in top form depite the majority of it being a replica of something that's currently 49 years old.

And yes, perhaps the lack of new attractions with cutting edge tech (save for Remy L'aventure) does mean that they're not in direct comparison. However if an attraction has managed 5 decades without the need for constant renewal, then surely it doesn't need one?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

tigger1974

Whilst I appreciate that there are a lot of people who nowadays only associate PotC with the movies,  the fact remains that the ride existed first so why should it be changing it's name?
The really sad thing is though is that there are an awful lot of people who want the ride to remain in its original and purest form but nobody is listening to us :'( , Jack Sparrow is coming even though a great many do not want him.  I love PotC but hate the movies and am already saddened that I am "losing" a dear friend.  I sincerely hope that I can grow to at least tolerate the new version.
I pray that Phantom Manor is not turned into the "Eddie Murphy" show.
I am certainly not having a go at anyone on the forum as we are all entitled to express our opinions.

TTFN
'05 Santa Fe
'07 Newport Bay
'08 Santa Fe
'09 Disneyland Hotel
'10 Santa Fe
'12 Sequoia Lodge
'13 Santa Fe
'14 New York
'15 Sequoia Lodge
'17 Sequoia Lodge (Golden Forest)
'19 Santa Fe
I also visited in '98, '00, '02 & '03 and stayed offsite

Zee79

I love the movies & love the ride. I don't mind Jack Sparrow being slotted in but I'm sorry I don't want to see it like Shanghai, that is just a lot of special effects & feel like a ride, refurb it, add some updated things but keep the basic of our POTC like it is  :)

Rocketeer

Quote from: tigger1974 on August 07, 2016, 08:51:53 PM
I pray that Phantom Manor is not turned into the "Eddie Murphy" show.
Don't worry, that film was nowhere near a hit to warrent that. The Benicio Del Torro 're-boot' (if it ever happens) might be a different story however.

:)

msRavenswood

Quote from: Rocketeer on August 07, 2016, 07:39:47 PM
^I agree for the most part. Some of the older attraction do show their age. However, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with Pirates - its still in top form depite the majority of it being a replica of something that's currently 49 years old.

And yes, perhaps the lack of new attractions with cutting edge tech (save for Remy L'aventure) does mean that they're not in direct comparison. However if an attraction has managed 5 decades without the need for constant renewal, then surely it doesn't need one?

Have you been reading my mnd?  ;D

Rocketeer

Well you know what they say, great minds think alike!  ;D

And I should add that I view the Mansion/Manor in the same bracket as Pirates. It's made it this far without chaning for the sake of it.

Of course, small tech upgrades wouldn't go a miss. The Hatbox Ghost is a clever addition - in fact a perfect example of how to add to the attraction without taking away the brilliant simplicity of the attraction effects.

msRavenswood

There are so many effects at PM that if upgraded the ride will look even more awesome! Imagine having a Phantom AA using the Hatbox Ghost technology!

DisneyGagaChick

Quote from: msRavenswood on August 09, 2016, 06:25:09 AM
There are so many effects at PM that if upgraded the ride will look even more awesome! Imagine having a Phantom AA using the Hatbox Ghost technology!

That does sound pretty good!

Rocketeer

Great idea. And it means that something new is added to the attraction without cloning an existing element from elsewhere.

dxwwf3

How confident are we that it won't reopen until mid July?  All literature I've seen says it will reopen in summer. I'm going to DLP for the very first time next year and was wanting to go in late June. But I will change my plans completely if there is no chance that it will reopen by then.