Anyone who experienced EuroDisney's early years nightmare ?

Started by Mtlchuck, April 14, 2016, 06:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mtlchuck

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask you guys a question. I have read some case studies on DLP, mostly used in academic contexts. All of them talk about the rocky start DLP had. It caught my attention to read that in the beginning, Cast Members were charging confused guests extra money to ride the rides and that some characters would be mean to the kids and refuse to hug them or interact with them. I had never heard of this, so I wanted to ask you, if any of you visited in DLP back in the day, did you experience any of these issues first hand?

Cheers!

perrollaz

Hi, no I never experienced anything close to that.
But have to say that I experienced rude Cast Members.

mickeyspal

I don't know about 1992 as our first visit was in 1993 and from then to now we never experienced any negativity. Cast members and characters always went out their way to be helpful, courteous, playful and generous of their time.
1993 + 2005 - Hotel Cheyenne
1995 - Walt Disney World Florida
1997 - Hotel New York
1998 - Hotel Santa Fe
2000 + 2006 + 2012 + 2014 - Sequoia Lodge
2002 + 2004 +  2009 - Newport Bay
2007 + 2015 - Hong Kong Disney
2007 - DLP (1 day visit)
2017 - Disneyland Hotel - Cinderella Suite
2018 - Disney Cruise- Mediterranean
2019 - Disneyland Hotel
2020 - Disney Merrytime Cruise - Caribbean

Zee79

Hi, nope never experienced anything like that just the long queues for rides in 1992 when they kept breaking down, BTM in particular so no change really throughout the 24 years then haha

Mtlchuck

For those who visiited back in the day, could you also share your good experiences :) ? I have also read the place went overboard with the magic back in the day, with details down to the plastic spoons being shaped as characters. It must have been so nice to see it all brand new and sparkling !

Zee79

Quote from: Mtlchuck on April 15, 2016, 10:01:43 AM
For those who visiited back in the day, could you also share your good experiences :) ? I have also read the place went overboard with the magic back in the day, with details down to the plastic spoons being shaped as characters. It must have been so nice to see it all brand new and sparkling !

We collected the cutlery to begin with, they were cool. There was a feeling of more magic in the park personally & this was without having any kids with me,  parades 3 times a day then Main Street Electrical Parade in the evening. Hearing the 'dum dum' of the start  of 'Dancin a catchy rhythm' & the excitement would build. Little food kiosks around the park, my favourite was in Adventure Land where they served kebab type snacks. Characters appearing from out of nowhere, through bushes etc. It was a fun time.

glenn

So much better in the early years.If you visit Disneyland Paris treasures and view the hotel room video you will see just how much was done to make the stay at dlp really special.

billy

Our first year in DLP was in 2002 and I noticed big changes when we went again this year! There were more character meets in the studios back then and more costumes it was winter when we went and I have pics with Mickey in his ski gear!!!
Less restaurants in the park and much much cheaper!
I agree with what someone else mentioned it was definitely more magical but maybe that was this year when we went the front was having repairs so you couldnt see the big mickey face in the grass and the train wasnt working either which for me really gives the magical feel.
There were two parades one in the evening which was really magical as they made it snow down main street, there were also more shows and more characters walking around so you really felt you were in the middle of the magic. Dont get me wrong we loved it this year too especially as we took our girls with us but unfortunately you loose some of the magic walking from the studios to main park as both are now so big!
I dont think Disney will ever loose its appeal i just wish it was more accessible for us and cheaper so we could go more often, flights etc from Spain are really expensive!
But i love Disney now and then  ;)

rebecca20

I personally think that the parks have gradually got worse in terms of character interaction and rude CMs. The only good thing is that the CMs seem to speak more languages these days which helps with guest flow.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

Mtlchuck

Quote from: rebecca20 on April 15, 2016, 01:04:57 PM
I personally think that the parks have gradually got worse in terms of character interaction and rude CMs. The only good thing is that the CMs seem to speak more languages these days which helps with guest flow.

I haven't experienced unnaceptably rude CM's at DLP. I have just had some unhelpful ones in restaurants. Actually, last summer I encountered rudeness in Disneyland California. Many teenagers were cutting in line by jumping through the ropes for the Matterhorn and when I reported it to a CM, she replied "I'm not taking care of that".

Zee79

When we first went we thought yes it was expensive but nothing compared to now. We noticed a big change in prices when they went from francs to euros plus quality in some of the clothing. I bought a T-shirt in 1992 & it was far better quality than the t-shirts now. I only got rid of it in 2004 after I had my daughter. I still have my Minnie Mouse  from 1992 that cost me about 70francs (10francs to the pound)
My hubby said he thought DLP was far better in the early years. More characters, cheap food because he finds the food extortionate now, he can remember getting a menu Donald for about £5-6 &  that was expensive then but comapred to €14 now. He feels there was better ride maintenance before, whereas now it seems to take a long time to reopen rides.
Even though it's more expensive etc I will always love going to DLP it has such a special place in my heart & I always feel relaxed when I get there.

sunshine1

Someone told me back in the 90s. Mickey had beef with guests.
He snatched an autograph book from a guest to sign.
Mickey had attitude!

hollyx

I've been visiting since 1992 and agree that some of the magic has disappeared. there was far more theming in the earlier days such as the character shaped cutlery, mickey shaped pizzas etc. There were far more characters appearing unplanned at various points of the park usually appropriate for the land they were in such as Baloo in Adventureland - not seen him for years!!
The main thing I miss though is the Main Street Electrical Parade which was fab.

A&S&O

I'd heard that there were problems paying contractors while DLP was being built, and also paying cast members for a while after it opened, but have never heard anything negative about treatment of guests etc.

We still have some of the character shaped plastic cutlery! Our first visit was in 1997, so it was there then.

Wish the memorabilia site would reopen, we have so much stuff to upload.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?