At DLP Money Saving Tips

Started by CitrusZing, March 28, 2016, 06:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CitrusZing

Let's face it, going to DLP can be expensive. Sometimes you want to try and save some money but still enjoy yourself.

Please learn from my mistake in 2012, do not get so hooked on trying to save money on meals that you end up having a disagreement with your boyfriend in the Rainforest Café! Also, don't pick something you don't fancy to eat just because it's cheaper. You probably won't enjoy it and you will be grumpy.  :-[

These are some money saving tips that I use.

Drinks and Snacks

If we have left over soda, it will go in a clean, empty fizzy drink bottle that we will take with us.

Take reusable water bottles/pouches and refill them from the various water fountains in the parks (if they are working).

Drinks and snacks can be cheaper if bought from the shops in Marne-la-Vallee/Chessy train station. I have found DLP the only place where things are cheaper in the vending machines in the stations than in the shops. There is also a petrol station by Santa Fe that sells snacks.

Pause Gourmand/Tea Time Treat:
If you have bought meal plans or received them for free with your booking, you will get Pause Gourmand/Tea Time Treats vouchers. These can be used between 3-6pm in certain counter service restaurants and you exchange your voucher for a drink and a sweet snack (usually a hot drink, water or juice and a doughnut or magnum ice cream).

For this trip, we'll try to use them each day for a drink and will most likely save the doughnuts for another time in a resealable sandwich bag. If I still can, my drink option will be a bottle of water which I will save for overnight.

Counter Service Meals

If you and your partner/family do not have big appetites, you can often get away with sharing meals/drinks.

I don't usually want a full soda, so I will share one with my boyfriend.
Using the 2015 Au Chalet de la Marionnette as an example:
Buy one Menu 1 (main – Bavarian hot dog, side - fries & drink) for €11.99 and then a Bavarian hot dog with fries from the a la carte menu for €9.99 and then share the drink. Saving €2.
Even though you don't save much, as Tesco says, "every little helps" and we can spend that saving elsewhere.

If you do have a small appetite, consider ordering a children's meal at the counter service restaurant, if there's something that you would consider eating. The cast member taking your order doesn't know that you don't have kids with you.

Make sure you hand your annual pass/Shareholders Club card to the cast member to get your discount in restaurants. I don't think you can use this in conjunction with meal plan vouchers.

Table Service Restaurants

If you are a Dream Annual Pass holder, make sure you show your pass to get your free non-alcoholic cocktail and your discount. I don't think you can use this in conjunction with meal plan vouchers.

Obvious I know, but consider tap water as your drink option if you like drinking water.

How hungry are you, do you really need 3 courses? This is something I struggle with often. I love food but forget what my appetite is like and end up regretting three courses.
Consider sharing a starter or a dessert. My boyfriend and I often share a dessert.
Consider ordering a starter and then a dessert. Or pick a dish from the starter menu for your main course. *Make sure you explain to your waiter what you are doing, otherwise confusion can occur!*

Shopping

Make sure you hand your annual pass/Shareholders Club card to the cast member to get your discount in shops.

I am told that Disney dresses/outfits are cheaper at home in the UK than in the parks. If you have a child who will want one, buy one before you go and surprise them with it once you get to DLP.

Make sure you have a rain coat/mac with you, you don't want to be spending money on one of the rain ponchos in a downpour.

Lego Store VIP cards can be used in the DLP Lego store and you can collect points from your purchases there.

Remember if you purchase something with a UK debit or credit card, you may have to pay a currency conversion fee.

Does anyone else have any money saving tips?
DLP: 1992 Summer (Cheyenne).
2012: May (Santa Fe).
2013: Nov (Kyriad).
2014: Jan (Cheyenne), & Halloween (Kyriad).
2015: Jan - Birthday Trip (Disneyland Hotel) & Sept (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2016: April (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2017: Jan (Santa Fe - 1 night birthday trip), March (Hotel New York - Empire State Club), June (Cheyenne - 1 night trip) & Sept (Santa Fe).
Upcoming:
Sept 2018 (Newport Bay Club - Compass Club).

NHDisneylover

You can also request tap water at any of the counter service restaurants which do not have a tap out to use. 

With two adults and a teen we found that two menus was often plenty of food for the three of us--and two sodas plus water between three was fine as well.

Though what we did most days, which worked nicely was to really fill up with a big breakfast at the hotel and then have a buffet meal around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Just those two a day, plus a soda or glass of wine and some cookies back in our hotel room at night was PLENTY.  Which kept our meal costs to about 35- 40 euro per person per day---which with a teen boy in the group was not bad at all.

You mention Dream passes--if you have them call and get the Dream rates on the hotel, and plan to check in on a day other than Friday or Saturday---I was told it was cheaper to book a package for at least one, but not with the rates we were given (and we priced checking in on Sat or Sun---checking in on Sunday was less than half the price, for all seven nights!)

NHDisneylover

One more tip that I forgot!

Last week we ate at Earl of Sandwich twice, and both times our receipt had one of those things asking you to take an online survey and they will give you a code for a free brownie (their brownies are quite good). 

I thought I would have to bumble through the survey in French, but as soon as you log on it asks if you prefer French or English.  It took about 3 minutes to complete the survey and get the code and they were very nice about giving us our free brownies at the pay register (you do not even have to queue up and talk to the order people).  It made for a nice snack on the way back to the hotel at night a couple of times.

grovesie

Not many people are aware that Rain Forest and Ludwigs are owned by the same group. When you dine there you will be given a 20% off voucher for you next meal in either of the restaurants. You must retain the till receipt and use the voucher within 48 hours. Also if you eat in Ludwigs you can use the happy hour to buy 2 for 1 drinks in the bar and take them through to the table. This has saved us a heap in past visits.

You could just use the happy hour to save a bit. we had 2 beers and 2 large glasses of wine for under 10 Euros last time

CitrusZing

Quote from: NHDisneylover on March 29, 2016, 11:36:52 PM

Last week we ate at Earl of Sandwich twice, and both times our receipt had one of those things asking you to take an online survey and they will give you a code for a free brownie (their brownies are quite good). 

I thought I would have to bumble through the survey in French, but as soon as you log on it asks if you prefer French or English.  It took about 3 minutes to complete the survey and get the code and they were very nice about giving us our free brownies at the pay register (you do not even have to queue up and talk to the order people).  It made for a nice snack on the way back to the hotel at night a couple of times.

Did need to print the code off or did you show them it on your mobile/tablet?
DLP: 1992 Summer (Cheyenne).
2012: May (Santa Fe).
2013: Nov (Kyriad).
2014: Jan (Cheyenne), & Halloween (Kyriad).
2015: Jan - Birthday Trip (Disneyland Hotel) & Sept (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2016: April (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2017: Jan (Santa Fe - 1 night birthday trip), March (Hotel New York - Empire State Club), June (Cheyenne - 1 night trip) & Sept (Santa Fe).
Upcoming:
Sept 2018 (Newport Bay Club - Compass Club).

NHDisneylover

Quote from: CitrusZing on April 03, 2016, 09:18:38 PM
Quote from: NHDisneylover on March 29, 2016, 11:36:52 PM

Did need to print the code off or did you show them it on your mobile/tablet?

You just handwrite the code into the blank spot on the receipt and take the receipt back.