(Rumour) Guardians of the Galaxy retheme for Tower of Terror?

Started by Rocketeer, March 23, 2016, 02:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunekid

In my opinion Rock 'n Rollercoaster would be a perfect candidate for a Guardians refit over Tower of Terror. I don't know what the licence is on the Aerosmith branding, but I'm sure everyone agrees by now that the theming feels a little dated. The actual coaster itself is great and seeing as it's in the dark and in a building that isnt a massive tower, a refit would be possible pretty quickly.

This would give DLPR and WDS an entierly unique attraction compared to the American counterpart, and would kickstart the regeneration of the left side of WDS which we so desperately need.

Rocketeer

Well there's talk of a Guardians attraction replacing the Universe of Engergy, that will have a large and tall show building. Which sounds to me like a launch type rollercoaster.

Therefore (jumping to conclusions) its not out of the possibility that RnRc at WDS could get some sort of make over along the same lines.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

claire2281

So according to ED92, the change is coming.

Rumoured/tentative start date is March 2018 for preliminary work and then full closure between Sep 2018 - March 2019
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

AJDisney

Actually gutted :(  By far my favourite ride.

I just don't think it's needed. Besides the point that we were told each park would have a unique Guardians of the Galaxy mission ride. Seems DLP is being short changed again.

Out of all of the rubbish that needs to be redone/rethemed in the Studios too... Ugh :(
June 2017 - Radisson Blu at DLP
September 2017 - Cheyenne
February 2018 - Sequoia Lodge Columbia River Suite
December 2018 - Santa Fe
February 2019 - Disneyland Resort - Castle Inn and Suites
April 2019 - Off-site

claire2281

I think it's a case of:

a - The park is paying a lot of money for the Twilight Zone brand which it wants to understandably remove

and

b - The whole of the left side of the Studios is to become Marvel themed and ToT would be very out of place when that happens.

I love the current theme but at the same time Mission Breakout is extremely impressive so...
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

AJDisney

Quote from: claire2281 on October 05, 2017, 08:55:30 PM
I think it's a case of:

a - The park is paying a lot of money for the Twilight Zone brand which it wants to understandably remove

and

b - The whole of the left side of the Studios is to become Marvel themed and ToT would be very out of place when that happens.

I love the current theme but at the same time Mission Breakout is extremely impressive so...

I appreciate this, but the Studios is seriously lacking as is. One of the studio's biggest pulls (the biggest for me!) is ToT. Replacing it when they have a solid park is one thing, but when we have what is widely regarded as the worst Disney park out of any Disney park getting this revamp when there are so many other things that the money could be spent on (Stitch, Armageddon, pretty much that whole area!) just seems so stupid.

Besides, I can't help feel that DLP is being short changed -- we were told at E23 that the hope is for all Disney parks to have a unique 'Mission:' ride. Obviously there is one in California and one planned for WDW, so it seems a shame that Paris is being given a copy of what already exists.

I'm actually so gutted </3 :( 
December 2018 - Santa Fe
April 2019 - Off-site

loladelorean

Personally I am very disappointed in this too. While I understand the rationale for incorporating franchises, for me I've always had a special place in my heart for the Disney rides that are not associated with a movie, but have their own story (I know obviously ToT is associated with The Twilight Zone, but it still feels different to those with Disney connections). Along with BTM, this is one of my favourite rides and I will dearly miss it in its current incarnation, no matter how good the new one ends up being. Having never seen Guardians of the Galaxy, I can't comment on how well that theme might work. Will ride ToT as many times as possible in January!
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: claire2281 on October 05, 2017, 08:55:30 PM
I think it's a case of:

and

I wouldn't be happy with a simple retheme, but as part of a bigger project I could live with it. Does it have to be GOTG? Could they do an Avengers style rescue for example. The ride is a falling elavator so it should be easy to find a story that works.

Rocketeer

The ToT is already an eyesore from the Esplanade, it's going to be even worse now. Not impressed.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

DisneyManiac

Quote from: Rocketeer on October 08, 2017, 04:17:41 PM
The ToT is already an eyesore from the Esplanade, it's going to be even worse now. Not impressed.

I don't think it is, it's meant to tower over for a reason. Sure the ToT needs some TLC, that's why a refurb is planned for March 2018 (from ED92). Hopefully our ToT will finally get the "Out Of Order" sign at long last.
Just save the tower, please.

Samninetysix

This really would remove any remaining reason to use Studios Park for me. We've already stopped buying annual passes, when we visit this week, we've got single park tickets at about £30. This will be our 60th visit to DLP and I daren't even think how many 1000's of £££ we have spent over the years but every year now there is something less for us and something more they have taken away. Maybe we have been spoiled as we have seen what I would think have been the "glory years" at DLP

claire2281

So the latest rumour is they're taking this in a different direction - the ToT will still undergo a refurb/retheme but it will remain a horror-esque ride whilst removing all of the Twilight Zone branding (so that the agreement to use this doesn't be renewed).

In the meantime they'll concentrate on replacing other rides in the area with new attractions.

Whether there's any weight to this, who knows, but it would make sense to keep a popular attraction up and running whilst replacing some poor ones *cough* Armageddon *cough*. Also something will definitely have to be done about the Twilight Zone theming as the license is up for renewal soon. 
My Trips:

AJDisney

I hope this is true.

Personal feelings aside here (TOT is the best themed Disney attraction ever, along with Phantom Manor), I've never understood, why in a park that is widely and largely seen as the worst Disney park ever, and is regularly voted as the worst by fans, they would want to redo one of their 'star' attractions when there is so much dead weight was always beyond me.

Stitch Live, Disney Junior Live (which still uses old branding, and even Playhouse Disney stuff... a brand which shut down 5 or so years ago!), Armageddon, the stunt show (which I feel is dated and could do being changed, or even a complete rehaul... a Marvel Stunt show could work there) and even Rock n' Roller coaster is just dated and not really relevant anymore.... The tram tour.....

There is just so much that needs to be changed and fixed. Leave ToT alone! (or retheme it, but keep it scary!)
December 2018 - Santa Fe
April 2019 - Off-site

loladelorean

Quote from: claire2281 on January 07, 2018, 11:13:21 PM
So the latest rumour is they're taking this in a different direction - the ToT will still undergo a refurb/retheme but it will remain a horror-esque ride whilst removing all of the Twilight Zone branding (so that the agreement to use this doesn't be renewed).

In the meantime they'll concentrate on replacing other rides in the area with new attractions.

Whether there's any weight to this, who knows, but it would make sense to keep a popular attraction up and running whilst replacing some poor ones *cough* Armageddon *cough*. Also something will definitely have to be done about the Twilight Zone theming as the license is up for renewal soon.

Thanks for sharing this latest rumour - I really hope it is true! Still going to try to ride it a record amount of times when I visit in a couple of weeks, just to say goodbye to the old version :(
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

Slimy yet satisfying

We did the same over New Year. I also bought loads or merchandise and took videos of the shop and walk through to the elevators. I'm not keen on Marvel but appreciate others are, it's a shame that another more dated attraction like Armageddon or RnR couldn't have been chosen instead.
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.