(Rumour) Guardians of the Galaxy retheme for Tower of Terror?

Started by Rocketeer, March 23, 2016, 02:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msRavenswood

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on October 05, 2016, 02:57:31 PM
Quote from: ChipandDale99 on October 04, 2016, 11:58:09 PM
I didn't realise how serious this retheme is. I hope they don't change it to this as the tower looks so good as it is. Hopefully people won't warm to it in America and it won't come over.
You can bet on this being successful. Guardians of the Galaxy is a much bigger franchise than The Twilight Zone and only internet Walt Disney World fanatics care about the retheming.

Actually, it's the one in California that is getting rethemed.

Rocketeer

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on October 05, 2016, 02:57:31 PM
You can bet on this being successful. Guardians of the Galaxy is a much bigger franchise than The Twilight Zone and only internet Walt Disney World fanatics care about the retheming.
Well as they seem to only allow positive comments on the Parks Blog, no doubt they will put a spin on its popularity when it opens.

I don't think the attractions popularity was ever down to the size or recognition of the franchise. It was just an enjoyable attraction that would work fine on its own without the Twilight theme.
Heck until the Mouse decided to make a Guardians film even some Marvel fans had not heard of the Guardians (in the same way we'd not heard of Big Hero 6).

And to add insult to injury, I'm sure it won't be long before the nostalgia merchandise makes an appearance in DCA. They seem to take pleasure in cashing in on attractions that were succeded by poor replacements. For example the Adventurers Club or Dreamfinder & Figment merchandise.

And as for WDS, I've said before that thankfully the fiscal situation in Paris might prevent the convertion of its Tower to this "gaudy monstrosity", but I have a fear that as Burbank seems so stubborn in forcing this on DCA, then WDS might just end up with it.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mrpiggywinkles52

It looks decent IMO and I think it'll be stunning at night to be honest, the biggest issue I have is that you can CLEARLY tell that it is a reskin, because a power plant/museum would NEVER look like that, you can see the elevator shafts, the bushes outside, the gates and you can clearly see the Tower of Terror in it you know? But as time goes on that'll be less of a problem.

The name is just tacky though. I DISPISE that name.

I think we're safe for now due to the fiscal situation in Paris, as long as WDSP remains Walt Disney STUDIOS park and doesn't take on another name and theme I think it'll stay as ToT and since its the park's version of the castle, if it changes though we're in trouble.

DisneyRon

Construction appears to be starting at DCA for the conversion of the tower.
The ride is still operating (and for a limited time you can get some special things at the tower, especially when you ride at night), but they removed the external signage and scrims are going up.

Rocketeer

Something else that might save our Tower from this mess, Season of the Force. I know they can project on nearly everything, but I don't see how the "Warehousey-powerplant fortress thing" would be that suitable for the show.

Another WDS win.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: Rocketeer on October 08, 2016, 07:31:08 PM
Something else that might save our Tower from this mess, Season of the Force. I know they can project on nearly everything, but I don't see how the "Warehousey-powerplant fortress thing" would be that suitable for the show.

Another WDS win.

This is what I've been saying about the Tower being the castle of the park, its too important to change without converting the entire park away from the Studios theme which we currently have nowhere close to the budget to do LOL.

Sulley's Arms

With rumoured changes like this, it feels a bit like my child's nursery has been given to the kids at the local youth club to run.

And they keep doing things that they think are really cool.  But it's not quite appropriate!
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

stormflm595

I watched Doctor Strange on Monday. If they were to turn the ToT into a Marvel themed attraction I thought this would work a lot better with all of the reality and physics warping.

Saying that, I don't mind the idea of a Marvel attraction replacing ToT and if they were to go ahead, I'd really hope that they would ensure that the storyline is exciting, it looks good inside and out and that it makes sense to the location but I would much rather they just leave it alone as it is perfect how it is. No other attraction gives me that nervous feeling upon seeing it as ToT does!
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

Rocketeer

I've not seen Dr. Strange yet, but I can see what you're saying. Certainly seems a better fit than Guardians.

As I've said before, I can't see why they just don't adapt the story of Tokyo's Tower. Just make Harrison Hightower one of those old timey studio heads (from the Golden Era) and have him bring back the idol to make it part of one of his films. Job done.

It just concerns me that GotG is still an option for WDS. Heck, if they're planning to remove and replace the Castle in Hong Kong, then anything is possible in WDS. (money issues aside).

Rocketeer

msRavenswood

Quote from: Rocketeer on May 26, 2017, 06:58:14 PM
Well here it is, Mission Breakout..

Pre-show with Rocket.
https://youtu.be/tZw8wE_zxU8

Attraction
https://youtu.be/k0F2aLwt2d8

I must admit I like it, but I wish it was a brand new ride and it hadn't replaced ToT!

Rocketeer

^I agree, knowing it replaced an perfectly fine attraction takes off the shine on what is probably a decent attraction.

And I know that the Tower used those same screens, it comes across as nothing but 'screenz'.

DisneyGagaChick

The only good thing about the GOTGMB is the Rocket audio animatronic. I would not wait in a 300 minute queue for that ride..

mickey1980

Looks pretty spectacular to me  :o
Would have no problem with this coming to Paris if they choose to re-theme the left side of the Studios park.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiƫsto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

YenSidBot

I cant see this coming to Paris . Especially if the Disney parks are going to have their own unique marvel universe . Hong Kong have the Iron Man Experience and that's why Iron Man wasn't part of the DCA summer of Heroes event , they even reference him being in Hong Kong during their hero show . Hong Kong also are getting an Ant Man and Avengers ride so I would cross those off the wishlist too , however their are many superheroes in the Avengers movies so I highly doubt many of the big stars will appear in this attraction as this gives Disney more room to play with regarding other superhero rides in other parks . I could see Paris getting a Spiderman attraction possibly down the line considering the states and Asia both have a Spiderman attraction in thier Universal Studios park and there is no Universal competition or rights issues in Europe regarding the MCU .
Next Trip 28 Sep - 5 October 18 :) :)