(Rumour) Guardians of the Galaxy retheme for Tower of Terror?

Started by Rocketeer, March 23, 2016, 02:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giorgio1712

TOT is my favourite ride and I would be so disappointed to see this change happen. In its current form I think TOT has all the features that go into making a ride a Disney ride. It has the excellent theming, great castmembers who interact with the guests and a decent storyline. I suppose all these things could be present if it was rethemed but why change something that, in my opinion, is perfect as it is. This is all before we get on to the fact that I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was a terrible film and I generally don't like marvel films.

Oreo

I am not a Marvel fan. However, given how Disney have reacted in the past to popularity (the pirates movies are a good example), they will always cater for the masses. For that reason, I can see them wanting to 'make the most' of the Marvel franchise and they would want to do that as cheap as possible.

That's why I could see them re-theming ToT as its cheaper than creating a brand new ride, and we all now how Disney like to save money.  ;D

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: giorgio1712 on May 20, 2016, 12:40:38 PM
TOT is my favourite ride and I would be so disappointed to see this change happen. In its current form I think TOT has all the features that go into making a ride a Disney ride. It has the excellent theming, great castmembers who interact with the guests and a decent storyline. I suppose all these things could be present if it was rethemed but why change something that, in my opinion, is perfect as it is. This is all before we get on to the fact that I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was a terrible film and I generally don't like marvel films.
I'm not sure how anyone can dislike Guardians of the Galaxy. Chris Pratt alone makes it a worthy watch.

rebecca20

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on May 20, 2016, 03:03:13 PM
I'm not sure how anyone can dislike Guardians of the Galaxy. Chris Pratt alone makes it a worthy watch.

I don't hate GoG but turning ToT would be a step too far in my opinion and a huge waste of money.

I just don't get the theming in DLP the more I visit other parks the more I don't understand why Paris is so randomly laid out!
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: rebecca20 on May 20, 2016, 03:04:35 PM

I just don't get the theming in DLP the more I visit other parks the more I don't understand why Paris is so randomly laid out!

Because what's wrong with a bit of randomness?

rebecca20

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on May 20, 2016, 07:41:59 PM

I like my parks well themed and a layout that makes sense and has some history / link behind it.

Anyone know if GoG did well money wise as a film? I don't really recall seeing a lot of merch around so I wondered why such a big change for the Cali park ToT.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: rebecca20 on May 21, 2016, 04:46:20 PM
Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on May 20, 2016, 07:41:59 PM

I like my parks well themed and a layout that makes sense and has some history / link behind it.

Anyone know if GoG did well money wise as a film? I don't really recall seeing a lot of merch around so I wondered why such a big change for the Cali park ToT.
Guardians of the Galaxy was one of the most popular Marvel films. I'm not sure about in France but here in the UK it did phenomenally well at the box office.

Rocketeer

Yup. No arguments from me here. I can't imagine Star Lord being played by anyone else.
I agree there. WDS is very much an ad-hoc layout. They needed to add Tower, and therefore its plopped right in the middle of what should be the entrance/hub. Remyland is no better, just tacked onto Toy Storyland.
For DCA and WDS, it enables them to add some or more Marvel characters without expanding the park. Both could have a Marvel Land, but that'll take at 2-4 years to add. A refurb could be done as 'quick' as 18 months.
Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on May 21, 2016, 07:52:23 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy was one of the most popular Marvel films. I'm not sure about in France but here in the UK it did phenomenally well at the box office.
Total worldwide gross: US$333.1m
UK $47.3m(£36.2m)
France $19.8m(€17.7m)

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

itsadisneywonderfulworld

"Guardians of the Galaxy has more relevance than Twilight Zone as of current though. Retheming therefore would make logical sense."

I do get what your saying but, for me, TOT is a fantastic bit of imagenering that transcends ideas of relevance. It's a fantastic ride that doesn't really require any knowledge of Twilight Zone to appreciate and enjoy. GOTG ride would be a very different beast, I think. I'm all for Marvel rides but I don't think it's a good idea to do it at the expense of an iconic ride.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: itsadisneywonderfulworld on May 22, 2016, 03:03:55 PM
"Guardians of the Galaxy has more relevance than Twilight Zone as of current though. Retheming therefore would make logical sense."

I do get what your saying but, for me, TOT is a fantastic bit of imagenering that transcends ideas of relevance. It's a fantastic ride that doesn't really require any knowledge of Twilight Zone to appreciate and enjoy. GOTG ride would be a very different beast, I think. I'm all for Marvel rides but I don't think it's a good idea to do it at the expense of an iconic ride.
I think Guardians of the Galaxy would be more fitting for a dark ride. I could imagine one being like Peter Pan's Flight, with Hooked On A Feeling playing during the duration of it.

itsadisneywonderfulworld

I think Guardians of the Galaxy would be more fitting for a dark ride. I could imagine one being like Peter Pan's Flight, with Hooked On A Feeling playing during the duration of it.
[/quote]

see, that sounds fantastic. That I would go for and would be more fitting for GOTG.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: itsadisneywonderfulworld on May 22, 2016, 05:54:54 PM

see, that sounds fantastic. That I would go for and would be more fitting for GOTG.
[/quote]
I also think if any Marvel film was to be used for Tower of Terror, Doctor Strange although yet to be released sounds like it would probably be more fitting.

Rocketeer

^Good call. That seems to have a surreal Twilight Zone feel anyway. Although we'll have to wait and see just how it does at the box office first.

I still think that the conversion is a way off, especially for WDS. Firstly there are cost implications, unless its going to be a co-production with DCA to bring down costs. Look at how long its took for Cap#n Jack to arrive in Paris.

Then there's also the location. In DCA it's at one end of the park, in a place where it could happily sit as an entrance point to a Marvel Land. In WDS. we're assuming, that Marvel Land could be added behind the Tram Tour berm. Which therefore creates a separation between one Marvel attraction and the others. Which seems very disjointed - however this is WDS' layout logic, so anything is possible.

However, as I suggested in the expansion thread, if the Production Courtyard becomes all-Marvel, then Tower is very likely to welcome Star Lord and crew.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Rocketeer

Well it's now official for DCA. Let's hope that it stays over there and is not imported to WDS. Just look at what a mess they're making of that amazing façade!

https://youtu.be/9L9ZAdtNZc0

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: Rocketeer on July 24, 2016, 06:48:11 PM
Well it's now official for DCA. Let's hope that it stays over there and is not imported to WDS. Just look at what a mess they're making of that amazing façade!

https://youtu.be/9L9ZAdtNZc0

is it bad that I actually kinda like the façade? The name is an atrocity though, it just sounds very Universalish?

Regardless I think it stays there, Studios' tower is the castle of the place as I've said before and that has only been reinforced by the projection show being worked on for it, that doesn't look like the sort of thing you can project stuff onto, we have other areas that could be better used for Marvel land and attractions that could have a marvel reskin, like Rock n' Rolelr Coaster, Stunts Moteurs and Backlot in general really. Plus its not like we have the budget anyways.