(Rumour) Guardians of the Galaxy retheme for Tower of Terror?

Started by Rocketeer, March 23, 2016, 02:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on April 06, 2016, 06:19:56 PM
Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on April 05, 2016, 08:19:02 PM
Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on April 05, 2016, 02:55:33 PM
I think this rumour is possible for Disney's California adventure since their backlot is likely to become Marvel Land after Star Wars land is finished construction and Tower of Terror's placement means it wouldn't fit thematically. But here there is no chance of this happening.

Think about it, even before WDSP was opened the Tower was planned to be the centrepiece of the park, much like the castle in the main park, it'd look weird to have a Marvel ride there. ToT fits the theme of the park better, is much more iconic and has much more staying power than Guardians of the Galaxy. Not to mention DLP doesn't have the budget and would rather spend it elsewhere.

I still think marvel is Backlot bound and as such it would be silly to have the Tower also be marvel.
Personally, I don't see the Tower as Walt Disney Studio's castle. It doesn't have that iconography to me.

People may not see it that way, certainly it isn't as iconic but I do think that is the intention, look at how it looms over the hub for example, not sure about WDSP but I know that Disney's Hollywood studios in Florida has began using it instead of their old hat symbol on merchandise like the Animal kingdom uses that big tree or EPCOT uses Spaceship earth.

Not to mention there are rumours of seasonal projection shows on the Tower coming soon, which reinforces my idea here.
That would be good, so long as they have it last longer than two minutes and it covers all four seasons.

Rocketeer

According to MiceAge, the rumour is true. However, this has yet to be officialy confirmed, so for now its best to be thought of as still just a rumour.

Elsewhere in DCA, a wild rumor got out earlier this spring about a plan to remake Tower of Terror into a Guardians of the Galaxy ride. We can tell you that the Guardians of the Galaxy rumor is true, and TDA's executive suite was furious when the rumor leaked out from Glendale-based sources. The plan is for the original Twilight Zone backstory to be removed entirely, and replaced with an all new show based around the Collector character from the Guardians movie franchise. WDI had been testing and experimenting with the new show in the elevators for months and the Tower of Terror hourly CM's were all aware of what WDI had been cooking up since this winter.

/film are also reporting it as 'true'.
Quote...sadly it seems like there may be truth to this rumor after all. I have since spoken to two separate sources who have corroborated the rumor, and a reliable Disney rumor site is now reporting it's true.
however, they are also speculating on more than just adding The Collector.
QuoteI has also heard from another source that the ride could be re-themed after the industrial space jail that the Guardians escape from in the first film. The boiler room queue room could be more easily remodeled to resemble this space prison, and remember that the Guardians escaped in a square room that could resemble the ride's elevator vehicle. Again, re-doing a ride to call back to the first film in a series is probably not the best for long-term plans.
http://www.slashfilm.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-ride/

At the moment, its only for DCA, but given that La ToT is a clone of the Californian one, its not out of the realms of posibility that it'll happen at WDS.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: Rocketeer on May 03, 2016, 10:00:48 PM
According to MiceAge, the rumour is true. However, this has yet to be officialy confirmed, so for now its best to be thought of as still just a rumour.

Elsewhere in DCA, a wild rumor got out earlier this spring about a plan to remake Tower of Terror into a Guardians of the Galaxy ride. We can tell you that the Guardians of the Galaxy rumor is true, and TDA's executive suite was furious when the rumor leaked out from Glendale-based sources. The plan is for the original Twilight Zone backstory to be removed entirely, and replaced with an all new show based around the Collector character from the Guardians movie franchise. WDI had been testing and experimenting with the new show in the elevators for months and the Tower of Terror hourly CM's were all aware of what WDI had been cooking up since this winter.

/film are also reporting it as 'true'.
Quote...sadly it seems like there may be truth to this rumor after all. I have since spoken to two separate sources who have corroborated the rumor, and a reliable Disney rumor site is now reporting it's true.
however, they are also speculating on more than just adding The Collector.
QuoteI has also heard from another source that the ride could be re-themed after the industrial space jail that the Guardians escape from in the first film. The boiler room queue room could be more easily remodeled to resemble this space prison, and remember that the Guardians escaped in a square room that could resemble the ride's elevator vehicle. Again, re-doing a ride to call back to the first film in a series is probably not the best for long-term plans.
http://www.slashfilm.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-ride/

At the moment, its only for DCA, but given that La ToT is a clone of the Californian one, its not out of the realms of posibility that it'll happen at WDS.

I still think that due to its positioning within the park and since it is really the icon of the park that we won't get this, not to mention it'd be hilariously out of place given the area around it is a movie studio, in DCA their backlot is likely to become a Marvel land soon but there is no way Production Courtyard will become Marvelland although our backlot might. I could see them dropping the Twilight Zone from it and making it more like the Hong Kong or Tokyo one, whichever is the Hotel Hightower and has no twilight zone present.

Rocketeer

^I agree, the Tokyo version of the plot is very adaptable - even for WDS. Harrison Hightower can easily become a movie mogul of that bygone golden era of Hollywood.

And I guess for once the location of the WDS' Tower has actually proved itself worthwhile.  ;)

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: Rocketeer on May 05, 2016, 03:53:49 PM
^I agree, the Tokyo version of the plot is very adaptable - even for WDS. Harrison Hightower can easily become a movie mogul of that bygone golden era of Hollywood.

And I guess for once the location of the WDS' Tower has actually proved itself worthwhile.  ;)

Indeed! The only things they'd have to really replace is the Twilight Zone theming, and given paris has no money anyways that'd be much cheaper than Guardians!

Rocketeer

According to a recent Disney & More FB post..
"Don't believe the WDW Guardians rumors. My people involved with the project in California say it's total crap, there was zero talk of doing a Florida version beyond a discussion of "if" it was possible.
Right now the plan is only for California... And Paris is a maybe, depending on how well film does and how they want to do Marvel in Paris.

MickeyAteMyCap

What do they mean depending how well the film does? Has Guardians of the Galaxy somehow not been released in Paris yet?

Rocketeer

^I'm assuming its referring to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. - due for release 26th April '17.

The first film didn't do too bad in France, taking US$19m.

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: Rocketeer on May 15, 2016, 10:22:23 PM
^I'm assuming its referring to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. - due for release 26th April '17.

The first film didn't do too bad in France, taking US$19m.

It'd be so awful in Paris! Other parks have something to block it out in the skyline but we don't really, tower is visible from bloody everywhere even on BTM! The Hollywood theme fits the entirety of the Studios park since its all about movies and it is so iconic but some weird Marvel building...ew...

I just don't see how it can be done without making it seem like a cheep retheme, how do you turn a hotel into anything marvel related without completely tearing it down, Stark Tower maybe but this is GOTG not Ironman, How can they make it not look like some cheap reskin?

I remain sceptical though, still not convinced given how prominent it is in all of Studios that it'd be reskinned.

Rocketeer

My understanding is that the DCA Hotel will stay as it is (the Pueblo Deco architecture and all). The Collector uses it as a connection point to other worlds. Therefore it should be the same if - and that's the key part - if they add it to Paris.

Don't forget it took ages to get Cap'n Jack. And then factor in potential park expansion which could feature Marvel characters, they might decide not to change the Hotel.

irishbhoy1888

Nooooooooooooooo don't do it , just let it go and move on.
TOT is a classic attraction that should not be messed with .

Oreo

If the one in California does become Marvel themed and is successful I am sure they will bring this across to Disneyland Paris.

The only reason they haven't done so in Disney World is due to the contractual agreements in relation to Universal Studios.

My personal thought is that Disney Studios in Paris needs a complete re-theme (a bit like the one at Disney World is having) and as part of that I think a Marvel area is needed.

Zee79

If the theming is successful then why change it? My kids are already saying they will stop going on the tower if it is rethemed,. I personally don't know why people are going mad over marvel, but that's me,  and wanting to change the studios. I agree add a part to do with marvel but personally I don't think it is 'disney' if you know what I mean. I know studios on a whole isn't 'disney' but It just seems to be cashing in on the moment kind of thing, what happens when it all dies down? will it still be as successful?  Besides I really didn't think much of the movie, my daughter enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy but she said it wasn't that good to retheme a star attraction.

itsadisneywonderfulworld

As much as I love the Marvel movies I really do think this would be a misstep. I adore TOT and think the themeing is wonderful - it's such an atmospheric ride and a real bit of Disney magic. It would be a real shame to lose it. I'mm all for updates and WDS needs one, sure, but the one thing they should absolutely leave intact is tower. Update it and tidy it a little? Sure. But not a reskin.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: itsadisneywonderfulworld on May 18, 2016, 02:59:38 PM
As much as I love the Marvel movies I really do think this would be a misstep. I adore TOT and think the themeing is wonderful - it's such an atmospheric ride and a real bit of Disney magic. It would be a real shame to lose it. I'mm all for updates and WDS needs one, sure, but the one thing they should absolutely leave intact is tower. Update it and tidy it a little? Sure. But not a reskin.
Guardians of the Galaxy has more relevance than Twilight Zone as of current though. Retheming therefore would make logical sense.