Extinct attractions

Started by Rocketeer, December 08, 2015, 04:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickey1980

What the main park really misses is a modern dark ride. Like Indiana Jones Adventure, Journey to the centre of the earth or Mystic Manor.
Yes I love the classics. But the park is filled 70's, 80's and early 90's tech. DLP needs to modernize. Getting the blast scene in BTM is a good start. But they are wasting good opportunities in other refurbs. Seeing that they probably won't change any effects in the soon to be refurbished Peter Pan and Space Mountain doesn't give me much hope for a fully up to date DLP.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Rocketeer

^Interesting point - the park is probably the most behind all of the parks in terms of tech. Although sometimes adding new tech for the sake of it is not always the best way forward. Look at what they did to Spaceship Earth and the pointless screens.

However, the improvements to Peter Pan in Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom are a perfect example of how an old attraction can be modernised whilst keeping the traditional dark ride feel.

And given that Fantasyland has such potential for expansion, it sounds like all the current attractions will remain. However they will need improving if subsequent attractions are added that have cutting edge technology like that of Mystic Manor.

So if Fantasyland is at the bottom of the list, which land is most likely to have attractions replaced? I'm guessing
Frontierland and Adventureland are probably also low on the list which means Discoveryland has to be the top. Autopia and the HISTA/Eo (Cinemagique) theatre being prime candidates for replacement.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

True-lifeadventures

I feel like DLP could inject some life into Fanstayland by cleaning up Alice's Labyrinth instead of replacing it. There is a lot of room to expand, but that maze just needs a little bit of TLC and I think it would brighten up the whole place.

Frontierland would be my best guess to new stuff. There's a lot of room up by the Pocahontas Village etc. With them cleaning and sorting out The Rivers of the Far West it would be great to see some more boats out on that. Poor Mark Twain... :'(
Click the image below to visit our Vlog channel

WDW - Sept 2013. DLP - Dec 2013. DLP - Dec 2014. DLC - May 2015. DLP - Nov 2015. DLP - Jan 2016. WDW - Sept 2016

Rocketeer

^I agree, Frontierland is really in need of another attraction. Its especially obvious right now, with the river closed the only thing worth going into the land for is Phantom Manor.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: Rocketeer on December 17, 2015, 09:43:02 PM
^I agree, Frontierland is really in need of another attraction. Its especially obvious right now, with the river closed the only thing worth going into the land for is Phantom Manor.

Agreed. Frontierland has what, 2 attractions that people go on every trip, Phantom Manor and Thunder Mountain. Fantasyland has a plethora of must do attractions, Discoveryland has Star Tours, Space Mountain, Buzz and a variety of things you'll do every so often like Autopia, Jedi Training, Nautilus etc., Adventureland has Pirates, Indiana Jones, and then the whole land to do a ton of exploration which is really what that land is about. Frontierland has literally Big Thunder and PM, Nothing else there is worth doing unless it happens to have Frozen ongoing because the rest of the place is a kids playground, shops/restaurants and the shooting gallery.

Frontierland could really benefit from Splash Mountain...

Zee79

Totally agree with something like splash mountain, even the UK parks have some type of outdoor water ride, even my kids said DLP needs something like this.

Rocketeer

Quote from: Zee79 on December 21, 2015, 12:07:45 AM
Totally agree with something like splash mountain, even the UK parks have some type of outdoor water ride, even my kids said DLP needs something like this.
True, and Tokyo Disneyland has Splash and they have more snow on average than Disneyland Paris.
Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on December 20, 2015, 11:34:40 PM
Frontierland could really benefit from Splash Mountain...
I agree, or at least another E-Ticket.

We know there's land available. I guess Frontierland is just not high up on the priority list for new attractions. The BTM refurb being the main focus instead.

mickey1980

Gonna quote myself here...

Quote from: mickey1980 on December 11, 2015, 07:48:50 PMDLP needs to modernize. Getting the blast scene in BTM is a good start. But they are wasting good opportunities in other refurbs. Seeing that they probably won't change any effects in the soon to be refurbished Peter Pan and Space Mountain doesn't give me much hope for a fully up to date DLP.

So... IASW opened without the expected Disney character addition (like in Anaheim, Hong Kong, Tokyo)
Why?.. These static statues cost zero to nothing in Disney terms..
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Rocketeer

^Maybe WDI/EDI realised they're not a necessity?

CentralPlazaPerson

In Disney Village, Hurricane bar no long exists but its location can still be seen. Sad really, the Village misses that type of night life.  ::)

Rocketeer

^Does it just sit empty now? Seems like a waste.

And good point bringing up the Village, although it has had some major changes in recent memory - King Ludwig's and the Earl of Sandwich.

Thaliel

Quote from: Rocketeer on January 08, 2016, 10:46:58 PM
^Does it just sit empty now? Seems like a waste.

If I remember correctly, it is used for staff leisure occassionally
<-Plz click

Rocketeer

^Well that's something I guess. At least its not completely mothballed.

True-lifeadventures

I think Disney Village needs a massive overhaul. It looks really tacky and 90s. When you compare it to Downtown Disney and Disney Springs, it's a bit embarrassing right?
Did anyone see this article on MiceChat today? http://micechat.com/117514-inside-disneyland-paris-meeting-daniel-delcourt-deputy-ceo-operations/ Hopefully that means the Village will get a much needed facelift and modernisation.

On a side note, I'm really excited about the potential return of the Mark Twain. I think Rivers of the Far West attractions would be easy additions to Frontierland that would make a big difference.
Click the image below to visit our Vlog channel

WDW - Sept 2013. DLP - Dec 2013. DLP - Dec 2014. DLC - May 2015. DLP - Nov 2015. DLP - Jan 2016. WDW - Sept 2016

mickey1980

Quote from: CentralPlazaPerson on January 08, 2016, 02:10:11 PM
In Disney Village, Hurricane bar no long exists but its location can still be seen. Sad really, the Village misses that type of night life.  ::)

Besides drinking yourself silly in Billy Bobs there is nothing to do in the village. Sports bar is only interesting on weekends. They should open a indoor minigolf and bowling or something. Like the Splitsville.

Hell, build a cocktail Tiki Bar with live music or shows. We Europeans are suckers for that kind of entertainment.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018