Extinct attractions

Started by Rocketeer, December 08, 2015, 04:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

It struck me today that Disneyland Paris has very few 'extinct' attractions. I can really only think of three in the past 23 years. The Old Mill Ferris wheel, HISTA and Le Visionarium. And WDS has only the TV Tour. (If there are any in either park, I'll be happy to be corrected).

Not surprisingly it can be argued that one of the main reasons for this, is the financial issues of the resort. ie. "Why spend money to replace a working attraction?"

Now, that aside, is the fact that things have stayed the same for so long be something to be celebrated rather than embarrassed by?

Sure we'd all love new attractions, but sometimes these do have to replace existing rides that sometimes still have a fan base. For example, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (MK), Horizons and World of Motion (EPCOT) and The Country Bears Jamboree (DL) all are still fondly thought of and very much missed amongst fans.

Thankfully at Disneyland Paris, you can still ride those attractions you've loved for a quarter of a century.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Mileto

Interesting topic! It's hard to think of loosing an attraction in DLP. We all are used to them so much.
Maybe only ... I don't know .... but some days ago we were on Star Tours and I thought the place needs really a change. So, I won't miss it, I think.

We still remember the post show at the exit of IASW. We could see the miniatures in May 2010 before the closure and restructuring to Princess Pavillion. My daughter still remembers looking through the small windows with the children inside, years ago she asked me about it.

Here I found some interesting information about it + The Old Mill.

http://www.designingdisney.com/content/lost-treasures-fantasyland

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

Mileto

And you must not forget the canoes in Frontierland and the woodcarver's workshop (Santa's house now).

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

Spacepilot

...and Captain EO

It s a shame some attractions had to go like SM 1 and Visionarium which destroyed the Jules Verne theme. I also miss the old Mill.

glenn

Don,t forget all the great shows on the four stages in the park,unfortunately the stages are standing empty or gone now.

mickey1980

River Rogue Keelboats are gone too.

I personally miss the videogame arcade in the Village  ;D
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Rocketeer

Quote from: Mileto on December 08, 2015, 04:55:45 PM
Here I found some interesting information about it + The Old Mill.

http://www.designingdisney.com/content/lost-treasures-fantasyland
Thanks for that link. I guess it was no surprise that it closed - even on busy days it probably wasn't all that appealing.

And thanks everyone for all the other attraction suggestions. I knew there had to be more than those I mentioned.

It is still impressive (to some extent - its still a shame as well) at just how much of the original EuroDisneyland Paris is still there.

Imagine if they'd demolished Alice's Curious Laberynth to install Place du Remy? (just as an example, it's a thematic stretch I know!).
There'd be a lot of disappointed fans, especially as its something iconic to our Fantasyland, but on the other hand there would be a great new dark ride an mini-land added to the park.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

msRavenswood

Quote from: Rocketeer on December 08, 2015, 07:43:56 PM
Imagine if they'd demolished Alice's Curious Laberynth to install Place du Remy? (just as an example, it's a thematic stretch I know!).
There'd be a lot of disappointed fans, especially as its something iconic to our Fantasyland, but on the other hand there would be a great new dark ride an mini-land added to the park.

Not that I'd like to see the Labyrinth demolished, but I'd rather we had the Alice dark ride instead.

stifle

Quote from: glenn on December 08, 2015, 05:55:33 PM
Don,t forget all the great shows on the four stages in the park,unfortunately the stages are standing empty or gone now.

Not so. Frozen Sing-Along is in the Chaparral Theatre, Royal Christmas Wishes at the Castle Stage, and Jedi Training Academy is running in Videopolis. Only the Fantasy Festival Stage is no longer, with Meet Mickey Mouse taking up that slot in 2012.

tigger1974

Don't forget Critter Corale that's gone too.  OK it smelled a bit but it was nice to see the animals I remember some very cute baby goats one summer. Woody's Roundup Village (which replaced the corale) has also gone. Discoveryland has lost Honey I Shrunk The Audience and of course there are the geysers in Frontierland (although if the rumours are true they could soon be restored).
I too miss the old mill ferris wheel,  I did actually ride it and didn't think it was that bad (the view from the top was very good across Fantasyland).
I would miss certain other things but I do think the park needs some new attractions.

TTFN
'05 Santa Fe
'07 Newport Bay
'08 Santa Fe
'09 Disneyland Hotel
'10 Santa Fe
'12 Sequoia Lodge
'13 Santa Fe
'14 New York
'15 Sequoia Lodge
'17 Sequoia Lodge (Golden Forest)
'19 Santa Fe
I also visited in '98, '00, '02 & '03 and stayed offsite

glenn

When I mentioned the stage shows and stages standing empty I was talking about stage shows that were on every day on every stage all through the year.
Now they are only shown during peak seasons.
As for the Jedi show it,s very good for the kids but not something you would go back to watch more than once.
Just some shows that I can remember.
Beauty and the beast.
Mulan.
Lion king.
Minnie's birthday party.
Lilies follies.
En scene sil vous plas.
Noel de Mickey.
Tarzan.
Pochohantis.
Mickey,s winter wonderland.
Let livre magique.
Winnie the Pooh.
There are more but but I can,t remember .Disneyland Paris used to put on a lot of shows,but now only one or two.

Rocketeer

Quote from: tigger1974 on December 09, 2015, 01:21:07 AM
I would miss certain other things but I do think the park needs some new attractions.
That makes me think... as I've said, a lot of attractions are 25 years old now.

We've known them for so long that people are connected to them even more than usual. So even if they added a no doubt popular attraction like 'Frozen Ever After' The Boat Ride, the fact that it replaced 'Le Pays des Contes de Fées' (for example) it would be quite unpopular.

Odd example, but look at (the much derided) 'Superstar Limo' in DCA. It was only around for a year and most don't miss it. Perhaps if it had stayed until DCA 2.0 then maybe it would have become a kitschy fan favourite (although unlikely!).

I guess it depends on the attraction. It seems to me that most won't miss Armegeddon Effets Speciaux despite it being there since '02. In fact they could probably replace it with 'Le Superstar Limo' and no one would complain! ;)

mrpiggywinkles52

I actually do think it is something to be embarrassed about.

The best example I can think of is Fantasyland. Look at it, it celebrates the classic Disney movies of the Walt Disney era, the golden age or whatever you want to call it, Sleeping Beauty, The Sword in the Stone, Pinnochio, Alice, Snow White, Peter Pan etc. and whilst I think all of that is well and good it is extremely dated. Disneyland California suffers a similar problem I believe (although on a lesser extent) although there it is because they are very bound by tradition and to even consider taking one of Walt's originals there (except Autopia) is blasphemy.

DLP doesn't have that issue. What about the things that have came out or become popular since the Disney rennaisance? They have as much a place in Fantasyland as anything else does. Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Frozen and soon Moana. Even Brave if you are happy to count Pixar's Merida as a DISNEY princess. That is sure to be over half of the princesses which make up a big part of the Fantasy theme.

Walt Disney World had that issue, but they fixed it, how? New Fantasyland. They built the Beast's castle and made it into possibly the most magical restaurant in any Disney resort. There is this ride where guests interact with Belle as well, Enchanted tales or something but it has some great animatronics and is basically a walkthrough attraction with Belle guiding the guests. They built Eric's castle and put in a Little Mermaid Dark ride. They made a whole area of gift shops and resteraunts themed around Beauty and the Beast and built Rapunzel's tower. They could have done more than that had they not decided to make the land previously occupied by Toontown into Storybook Circus.

In addition they enhanced their classic experiences by moving Dumbo and they built the Seven Dwarf's Mine train coaster.

DLP has land available, isn't it something like 10 expansion pads in Fantasyland alone? There is space to expand the land to include modern Disney properties, Beauty and the Beast is a natural fit, Most kids love the little mermaid and the Rapunzel area didn't take up too much space. How about we throw in a Frozen area as well to capitalize on the success of the movie?

Even some of the dark rides look a little outdated, how about replacing some of those statues with some anamatronics like the ones on Seven Dwarf's Mine train?

The point I'm making is that whilst DLP hasn't lost any attractions we haven't gained any, Fantasyland sits, having fallen behind Disney's amazing modern movies, Discoveryland could use some modern spice, Frontierland sits half abandoned a lot of the time and Adventureland, I feel needs some modern attractions also.

With DLP it is all down to budget though, we don't have the cash for New Fantasyland or anything else. Yes, people miss the rides that go, Snow White's scary adventures went but I feel it opened up a much more exciting experience with the mine train.

tigger1974

Personally I would absolutely love to see DLP add a Winnie the Pooh ride (DLP is the only park that doesn't have one) but I don't know whereabouts it could be placed - Fantasyland would seem the obvious place but what would be the ride that yielded it's place?

TTFN
'05 Santa Fe
'07 Newport Bay
'08 Santa Fe
'09 Disneyland Hotel
'10 Santa Fe
'12 Sequoia Lodge
'13 Santa Fe
'14 New York
'15 Sequoia Lodge
'17 Sequoia Lodge (Golden Forest)
'19 Santa Fe
I also visited in '98, '00, '02 & '03 and stayed offsite

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: tigger1974 on December 09, 2015, 07:07:13 PM
Personally I would absolutely love to see DLP add a Winnie the Pooh ride (DLP is the only park that doesn't have one) but I don't know whereabouts it could be placed - Fantasyland would seem the obvious place but what would be the ride that yielded it's place?

TTFN

As far as I am aware there are at least 10 expansion pads of various sizes in Fantasyland so they wouldn't have to get rid of anything. If they did I'd say Pinnochio, I feel its the least well liked of all the Dark rides.

It'd fit with the right theming near the ranch in frontierland if they cleared away part of the ranch.