Wonderful staff!

Started by littlebitofpixiedust, October 16, 2015, 10:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlebitofpixiedust

I wanted to post this for a few days now, but I just want to comment on the absoloutly wonderful cast members at DLP.
We've been visiting for years now and visit as much as we can afford (2-3 times a year) and were very lucky to be able to do that!

I've been told I'm crazy for visiting so often and asked how do I afford it ect, and the truth is I am a little crazy and I'm sure I'm not the only one with a passion for all things Disney and DLP holds a very special place in my heart.
My son is disabled and there was a time I thought he'd never even be able to go on holiday and enjoy things like other children. How wrong was I!?

Disneyland Paris are brilliant from hotel check in to the parks they help in every way they can. I cannot fault the staff in any way, as my son has got older I've realised that things are getting incredibly harder he's heavier now and going to UK parks such as chessington wil become a thing of the past but I'm so happy we have DLP and only a 2hour ride away.

Anyway! Our experience with the cast members on our recent trip was more than just a pleasant one they exceeded in every aspect I only wish I took down more names and on my next visit I will do so.
Over the weekend DLP had experienced some very untimely breakdowns BTM/Pirates at the same time/Buzz lightyear and having many refurbishments going on people noticed. The following day pirates had technical difficulties again, I calmly asked a cast member if they thought it'd be back up later (as we were going home that day) and she said hopefully soon and I must say the personal attacks and abuse they was getting from other very angry guests was discracefull  :( I really felt for these guys! It was an awful thing to see. However considering all of this they remained totally professional, calm and tried to reason with these particular guests. Not that there was much reasoning with them at all!

I have to mention the staff in discoveryland operating star tours also. Two guys in partciular were ever so friendly and passionate about their work. My son loves this ride. And one of them asked if he'd like to see the flight in action behind the scenes! I couldn't believe it and we did see this it was brilliant for a Disney fan who's been going on this ride since I was 10 and now I'm 29 it really was special even more so because as most of us here know soon the original ride will not be for much longer! I did get these 2 guys names  :D

Also quite a few members of staff in fantasyland were so lovely to my little boy they even remembered his name on the 3rd day! I mean I couldn't believe it.

On our last day we see the dwarfs out in fantasyland I wanted my son to have a photo with one of them but he's not great with lots of people and being pushed through them and I'm not the kind to shove like some guests do. A lovely lady said does he want too see them I said oh yes any one will be fine she took us round to 6/7 of them just for a quick photo but how kind I wouldn't if ever attempted to go myself as he can get angry but she see us standing on the edge and came over! We usually go to inventions so he can see characters there as he couldn't cope Queing for them in the parks.

I could really go on and on about our encounters with the amazing cast members of DLP I really could  :) I just want to say I have so much respect for all they do and how well they manage certain guests behaviour and Ive got in contact with disneyland Paris themselves to give my positive feedback.

So if your heading over to DLP soon chat to the cast members smile and enjoy yourself don't let ride faults upset you (too much!) they're really WONDERFUL sorry it's long I just really wanted to share and give them the credit they really deserve.

Lisaa

Your post made me so happy! Sounds like you had an amazing time  :D Most of the times you only read/hear about the negative experiences with castmembers and it's nice to hear some of the good ones too.

On my last trip most of the castmembers also did a great job. To me the little things make a great difference. For example a girl in a shop who asked where I was from and tried to speak Dutch to me. Or the guy at Peter Pan who insisted on my mom staying in her wheelchair so she wouldn't get tired from waiting (we literally waited for 3 minutes haha). Or our server in the seqoia lodge bar who remembered that my mom doesn't like ice in her ice tea and my dad and I do. Those things just make you smile.

tigger1974

What a really lovely post.  So glad you and your family had a wonderful time.  I think the cast members are a little undervalued I'm sure it's not the easiest job trying to keep everyone happy and having to smile all the time.
I have to say that in all my trips to DLP I have never encountered any rude or unsatisfactory staff members,  they have always been friendly and professional from the domestic staff in the hotels through to the shop assistants, bar staff and beyond.
Hope you can continue to enjoy DLP together as a family for many more years.

TTFN
'05 Santa Fe
'07 Newport Bay
'08 Santa Fe
'09 Disneyland Hotel
'10 Santa Fe
'12 Sequoia Lodge
'13 Santa Fe
'14 New York
'15 Sequoia Lodge
'17 Sequoia Lodge (Golden Forest)
'19 Santa Fe
I also visited in '98, '00, '02 & '03 and stayed offsite

Zee79

We've never really had bad experiences with CMs except for a cleaner throwing out part of a toy. We spoke to reception & 4 a credit note straight away, took it to the shop & they were so helpful. So lovely to hear positives.

samuelvictor

I've always found the staff at DLRP to be exceptional. Really help you to feel welcome and valued  :D ;D

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: Lisaa on October 17, 2015, 08:36:39 AM
Your post made me so happy! Sounds like you had an amazing time  :D Most of the times you only read/hear about the negative experiences with castmembers and it's nice to hear some of the good ones too.

On my last trip most of the castmembers also did a great job. To me the little things make a great difference. For example a girl in a shop who asked where I was from and tried to speak Dutch to me. Or the guy at Peter Pan who insisted on my mom staying in her wheelchair so she wouldn't get tired from waiting (we literally waited for 3 minutes haha). Or our server in the seqoia lodge bar who remembered that my mom doesn't like ice in her ice tea and my dad and I do. Those things just make you smile.

So true lissa the little things make a BIG difference and it is nice to focus on the positives, negativity never got anyone anywhere. And it's nice we remember these pleasant experiences and I'm sure certain cast members remember the pleasant guests also it makes a difference for them too, I mean we're there having fun but they're working long hours and I guess it must be nice to spoken to nicely rather than shouted ect. Working with the public must be the hardest Job of all t times.

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: tigger1974 on October 17, 2015, 12:04:02 PM
What a really lovely post.  So glad you and your family had a wonderful time.  I think the cast members are a little undervalued I'm sure it's not the easiest job trying to keep everyone happy and having to smile all the time.
I have to say that in all my trips to DLP I have never encountered any rude or unsatisfactory staff members,  they have always been friendly and professional from the domestic staff in the hotels through to the shop assistants, bar staff and beyond.
Hope you can continue to enjoy DLP together as a family for many more years.

TTFN

Thankyou tigger1974 I'm sure we will continue to enjoy our trips for many years to come (I'll be there when I'm old and completely grey soaking up the atmosphere!) I really can't see us not returning unless things at DLP drastically changed for some reason and it made it difficult but that's unlikely to happen.
I have encountered one staff member that was rude many years ago I think she was just stressed out though. But as you've said above staff from shops/attractions/hotels they're all so professional and nice. You just cannot compare the service to any uk park I'm sorry to say! Not saying all staff in our parks are unfriendly, some are great. But at DLP it's a different approach from the cast members that goes noticed and I think they make guests feel welcome and I believe it's all down to training they recieve  ;D 10/10 for the cast members!

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: Zee79 on October 17, 2015, 01:17:46 PM
We've never really had bad experiences with CMs except for a cleaner throwing out part of a toy. We spoke to reception & 4 a credit note straight away, took it to the shop & they were so helpful. So lovely to hear positives.

That's really good that they rectified the situation I must say on one occasion years ago we had an abrupt cast member who wouldn't let my son watch the car stunt show and tried to take his wheelchair away from him. (crazy I know) but I went to studio services and told them the situation they offered my son a balloon for free or some new pins or try and cheer him up.

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: samuelvictor on October 17, 2015, 05:52:20 PM
I've always found the staff at DLRP to be exceptional. Really help you to feel welcome and valued  :D ;D

Yes they certainly do which when you think about to make every person feel welcomed and valued is a huge task with the amount of visitors they recieve! What I loved is walking into pirates just as it broke down and all the cast members and (most) of the people Queing were singing one of the pirate songs! I only just caught the end of the song before they put the announcment it had technical problems. Goes to show how they try and keep guests high spirited  :D

Zee79

Quote from: littlebitofpixiedust on October 17, 2015, 11:32:47 PM
Quote from: Zee79 on October 17, 2015, 01:17:46 PM

That's really good that they rectified the situation I must say on one occasion years ago we had an abrupt cast member who wouldn't let my son watch the car stunt show and tried to take his wheelchair away from him. (crazy I know) but I went to studio services and told them the situation they offered my son a balloon for free or some new pins or try and cheer him up.

I do wonder what goes through peoples head at time when I hear things like this, how does the chair stop him from watching the show? It doesn't make sense. I did have a situation in a UK theme park one year, I was with a group of pupils with varying needs shall I say. I had to accompany them to collect their disabled passes- school had contacted the park earlier with names, one member of staff wanted proof that the children needed a pass because they didn't 'look disabled' to her. One of the children took his hat off & said is this good enough- scars from brain surgery, unfortunately the other child I had with me had autism so she point blank refused a pass because 'its just a way of saying they are odd', her words not mine. We tried to complain to management but it was eating up the time in the park. She was so rude. School complained afterwards but we heard nothing. At least DLP acknowledged your situation. I also feel UK parks have a lot of very young staff controlling them at times, some of which don't seem to really have any people skills.

littlebitofpixiedust

Nice comments from staff there zee...  ::) I mean people should know by now disability isn't always obvious. Yeah we had comments like "just because he's disabled doesn't mean you Jump the que" that was chessington, I was so angry we are happy to wait but being 4.5 stone and unable to stand/walk he has to wait in his chair it isn't my fault que lines aren't adapted which was my reply.

We won't be visiting again besides that health and safety in uk seems to have gone mad they will not allow him to ride anything other than around 4 rides because he cannot walk I went to ask and Pointed out that they have clear wheelchair signs around the park directing disabled guests to exists when it seems wheelchair users aren't allowed to ride.

The response I got was there is a zoo/sea life centre here take him to them! I replied "if I wanted to go to the zoo I would have done, not botherd coming here"

I guess that's another reason we love Disney it's all accessible too and the ONLY ride he is not allowed on is Peterpan (shame but justified as if a breakdown you have to climb down a ladder!) many other rides are wheelchair accessible or you can transfer.

Mileto

I am happy to hear of your positive experience with the nice Disney staff, made me smile!
When I read your stories ... It's hard to believe how many intolerant people there are everywhere.  :(

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: Mileto on October 18, 2015, 11:26:49 AM
I am happy to hear of your positive experience with the nice Disney staff, made me smile!
When I read your stories ... It's hard to believe how many intolerant people there are everywhere.  :(

Well I guess everyone's different just one of those things I'm just thankful for DLP  ;D

Mitchell

There are so many excellent Cast Members, unfortunately theres a few staff members (refuse to call them CM's) who were letting the side down, but there are so many lovely ones! There was one girl looking after Piglet who was in training who will make an incredible character handler :D
Jun 2004, Dec 2006, Mar 2015, Aug 2015, Oct 2015, Feb 2016, Mar 2016, April 2016, June 2016, August 2016, October 2016, January 2017, February 2017, March 2017, April 2017, June 2017, October 2017, December 2017

Next trip: June and July 2017

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: Mitchell on October 18, 2015, 11:41:31 PM
There are so many excellent Cast Members, unfortunately theres a few staff members (refuse to call them CM's) who were letting the side down, but there are so many lovely ones! There was one girl looking after Piglet who was in training who will make an incredible character handler :D

Your always going to get a few suppose Unfortunatly but the majority are fabulous  :) I always think it can't be easy to be upbeat and paint a smile on everyday and I guess everyone has a bad day from time to time.she obviously really stood out to you and if your like me your remember her next time you go!