Practicalities

Started by Ohana, August 02, 2015, 03:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohana

Ah I've finally brought myself to do a boring post about the practicalities of going to DLP.

I'm obviously not expecting precise/specific answers to all my questions as a lot of it is subjective/date specific, but here we go!

It's my first ever time travelling anywhere further than London, meaning it's my first holiday abroad, shock horror! So excuse me if any of these questions seem really silly.

1. Plugs! I will be taking a fair few electronics with me to DLP, namely, straighteners, a hairdryer, phone chargers, battery chargers and even maybe a laptop charger. I'm aware that I'll need different plugs, but have no idea how to go about this. Do the adapters slot onto the plugs I already have? Can I possibly get a 4 socket extension and where's the best place to buy them? I honestly cannot think of anything worse than my phone/camera going kaput and me being able to take no photos whilst in DLP.

2. Money, this is kind of a 2 parter:
- Where is the best place to get my euros? Should I get them all put onto a card or just take it all in cash?
-Is £500 a reasonable amount? We've got no meal plan so know that will be expensive in itself, but I am also keen on buying several souvenirs (I have an ISO list!) and was just hoping I'm not actually giving myself too much money with £500 worth.

3. Clothing! So I've no idea what to wear at DLP, I obviously want to wear Disney themed clothing, but will t-shirts really be appropriate for mid-November temperatures? I also want to try and keep my clothing to a minimum to save luggage space, and know that winter clothes are bulkier. Also I adore my Disney Vans.. would they be appropriate footwear for walking around the parks all day?

4. A very frequently asked question I know, but is photopass worth getting? I love getting ride photos but which rides have the facility? I want to make sure I get a decent amount of photos to make it worth my while.

I'm an absolute planning freak I know, I just want everything to go smoothly so I'm not panicking while I'm there.

Thanks pals  ;D ;D
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

DisneyRon

Given that you're from the UK, the voltage used in the EU and the UK is identical, namely 220V-240V @ 50Hz.

So what you could do is get a conversion plug and stick a UK 4 socket extension block in it. Then you'll have plenty of connections available. :)

And maybe a second plug to stick in the bathroom for your straightener and hairdryer. :)

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: Ohana on August 02, 2015, 03:35:27 PM
1. Plugs! I will be taking a fair few electronics with me to DLP, namely, straighteners, a hairdryer, phone chargers, battery chargers and even maybe a laptop charger. I'm aware that I'll need different plugs, but have no idea how to go about this. Do the adapters slot onto the plugs I already have? Can I possibly get a 4 socket extension and where's the best place to buy them? I honestly cannot think of anything worse than my phone/camera going kaput and me being able to take no photos whilst in DLP.

Try Boots or Superdrug, in their travel section. You need to get a Continental Europe Plug Adapter. You plug your 3 prong UK plug into the adapter and then the 2 prong end into the wall.  I usually find 2 adapters are enough as you wont be using every electric appliance at the same time. But if you want a 4 socket extension, then bring a UK one and use the adapter on that to plug it into the wall.

- Where is the best place to get my euros? Should I get them all put onto a card or just take it all in cash?
Have a search around for commission free places, your bank or a different bank or high street foreign exchange like Travelex. Some people frantically watch the exchange rates to maximise their money but for a first visit, dot stress yourself out. Just make sure you get your money before you get to the airport as they have the worst exchange rates and charge huge commission.

I usually take half cash, half on a card. I just don't feel right using a card to pay for a €2 bottle of water for example

Quote from: Ohana on August 02, 2015, 03:35:27 PM-Is £500 a reasonable amount? We've got no meal plan so know that will be expensive in itself, but I am also keen on buying several souvenirs (I have an ISO list!) and was just hoping I'm not actually giving myself too much money with £500 worth.

I don't use the meal plans either usually budget €30 for food and €30 to €40 for shopping per day. I fill up at breakfast, snack during the day and have a main meal in the evening. I usually have 1 expensive  table service meal on one day only and on other nights use counter or quick service places.

You can eat very cheaply at DLP, places like McDonalds, Starbucks, Earl of Sandwich are in the Disney Village

3. Clothing! So I've no idea what to wear at DLP, I obviously want to wear Disney themed clothing, but will t-shirts really be appropriate for mid-November temperatures? I also want to try and keep my clothing to a minimum to save luggage space, and know that winter clothes are bulkier. Also I adore my Disney Vans.. would they be appropriate footwear for walking around the parks all day? .

Disney themed clothes are more popular in the American parks than at DLP. Other than the kids dressed in princess dresses and marvel / toy story costumes, European adults don't really wear Disney clothes. A hoodie would be more appropriate attire for November though than t-shirts.You are more likely to see people wearing DLP rain ponchos than Disney themed t-shirts, jumpers etc.

I find first time visitors underestimate the amount of walking and standing at Disney parks. Are your Disney Vans waterproof and comfortable for walking  /standing on concrete for long periods? I would bring a change of shoes, as you will most likely have sore feet no matter what you wear. I always have a bath / soak my feet when I get back to my hotel after a day in the park.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

Zee79

Ah I've finally brought myself to do a boring post about the practicalities of going to DLP.

I'm obviously not expecting precise/specific answers to all my questions as a lot of it is subjective/date specific, but here we go!

It's my first ever time travelling anywhere further than London, meaning it's my first holiday abroad, shock horror! So excuse me if any of these questions seem really silly.

We usually take 2-3 travel plugs because you can guarantee more than one thing will need charging plus use of straighteners. An adapter is a good idea, we travel a lot here & never thought of it. Your big supermarkets sell them & possibly the pound shops. I would still take a few with you because we've had issue where one shape of plug has not fitted the socket.

-Is £500 a reasonable amount? We've got no meal plan so know that will be expensive in itself, but I am also keen on buying several souvenirs (I have an ISO list!) and was just hoping I'm not actually giving myself too much money with £500 worth.

How many of you are going? Ages? As a family of 4 2ad 2ch under 16 we only take about £500 for food & few souvenirs for a 3n/4d trip. It all depends on where you want to eat. Table restaurants are obvioulsy more. Check out dlrp planning guide for meals for rough prices.

3. Clothing! So I've no idea what to wear at DLP, I obviously want to wear Disney themed clothing, but will t-shirts really be appropriate for mid-November temperatures? I also want to try and keep my clothing to a minimum to save luggage space, and know that winter clothes are bulkier. Also I adore my Disney Vans.. would they be appropriate footwear for walking around the parks all day?

Being November you have got to plan for all weathers. T-shirts are OK but need a jumper or hoody over in case there is a chill. A waterproof coat is best to take with you. Thin layers on top of each other are good as you can always remove a layer if warm.
Wearing Disney themed clothing is up to you. I wear it, usually a T-shirt or jumper, my winter hat some people do some don't. My children have never wore the dresses but always have tops, leggings etc that are Disney themed.
I think clothing will also depend on where you want to eat- correct me people if you know what the likes of Walt's etc expect you to wear, are Disney hoodies etc suitable attire here?

4. A very frequently asked question I know, but is photopass worth getting? I love getting ride photos but which rides have the facility? I want to make sure I get a decent amount of photos to make it worth my while.

Sorry can't help with this as I've not used it.

I'm an absolute planning freak I know, I just want everything to go smoothly so I'm not panicking while I'm there.

Thanks pals  ;D

We will try to answer questions as best we can, if any doubts arise just search through this forum because many have been answered and there is a lot of helpful advice available.

HildeKitten

Well it seems like you've got plenty of answers to 1 :)

2. I don't know how many days you are going, but £ 500 seems more than enough. To be honest I think not having a meal plan won't cost you that much more, and it'll deinitely give you all the freedom you like when it comes to food, not being bound to set menus etc :)
Do what I do: do all your shopping on the last day after you've had your last meal, that way you know exactly how much money you have left, and you'll have seen what they have in what store at what price, so you'll know what to buy and where :) It also avoids spur-of-the-moment shopping, because you'll have had time to mull things over. it's amazing how much money you save that way, plus you'll pretty much only buy things you really want/use ^^

3. As for shoes: if you are used to walking around all day with your Vans, in total comfort, I don't see why you shouldn't wear them. Wear something that is comfortable to you personally. The last thing you want is cool looking shoes and sore feet. I've worn Puma flipflops to the park in summer, it was fine, but it was only fine because I can honestly walk around for days and days and days without issues with them. Same with any other pair of shoes I wear to the parks :)
I personally wouldn't opt for t-shirts in November, I'm pretty sure t-shirt weather will have well and truly vanished into winter. Pack some warm clothes, and bring a coat, preferably a rain proof one as you may need that.
If you feel those clothes aren't Disney enough, get a nice Disney themed hat or a few pins to put on your coat or bag in the park. Little details can make an outfit go a long way after all ^^
But seriously, make sure you are dressed for the weather, there is no fun being miserable because you are cold and/or wet.

4. Do a forum search on photopass, and you should find ALL (and there's really quite a few by now) threads on the subject, so you'll be able to find any photopass related thing quite easily :)

stifle

2. I've posted a comparison of different options over on this thread: https://forum.dlpguide.com/index.php?topic=19247.0 but in short summary, so-called "cash passports" or prepaid debit cards aren't great value compared to using a bank account or credit card that has free transactions abroad.

3. It will be cold and it will probably be wet. If you go around in a T-shirt you will freeze. Bring something warm and a good rain jacket.

4. Photopass is worth getting if you expect to want more than around 4-5 photos and you don't mind not having the cute folders that the prints come in. The following rides have on-ride photos:

• Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Big Thunder Mountain
  • Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast
  • Space Mountain: Mission 3 (yes I know it's not called that really :P)
  • The Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror
  • Rock & Roller Coaster avec Aerosmith

Ohana

Thanks so much for these answers, I will probably try the adapter with a plug extension then (no doubt I'll post a trip report so will evaluate the success of this!) will certainly take a couple, I can NOT have anything stop working I'd be gutted.

There are 2 of us going, me and my boyfriend. the £500 is purely my money, he's just bringing around £200 has no interest in souvenirs, he's more excited about the food and beer (big beers at King Ludwigs, specifically haha).

I will still take a t-shirt or two I'll just layer up over that with hoodies/jumpers. The Vans are surprisingly comfortable, I will just try not to wear in the rain. Definitely won't be taking the foot prisons known as converse though. I'm very unpractical when it comes to clothing and footwear but will definitely just layer up. I suppose one bonus is that it doesn't matter as much what I'm wearing in winter as it'll be cold so everyone will just be wrapped up - no people in short shorts to make me feel bad haha!

I'm going to Walt's and I've seen photos of people in hooded sweaters and trainers there - it's just another restaurant at the park afterall so I can't see them getting twitched about casual wear, else no one would eat there! Really not fussed for dressing up for meals or anything, the only day I might wear nicer clothes is when we venture into Paris for the day.

To be honest I have kind of written down an extensive meal plan and have an idea of costs (it really mounts up!) but I think I'm overestimating how often we will want to be queuing up for food - I bet I'll be so excited I wont even want to eat!

The shopping idea is a good idea - but do things tend to sell out in DLP? I have an ISO list of things I really want and would be very sad if I couldn't get them (no doubt I'll make another post about these!).

As for photopass I will definitely get one, especially seeing as if my camera takes a bad photo I'd be annoyed, at least CMs will take good ones :D

Thanks again everyone this has been very helpful!

(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

DisneyRon

There is no formal dresscode at all at the DLP restaurants.

You could show up in shorts, a shirt and flip-flops at the California Grill and I doubt anyone would care.

Last September when I ate at that restaurants a table near us had a man wearing a sleeveless shirt, which was no issue apparently. :P

Now WDW is a good deal more picky, but DLP is much looser on the clothing requirements.
Don't show up in a bathrobe and swimwear and you'll be just fine. ;)

stifle

There are no dress codes at DLP beyond that guests should be wearing shirt/shoes etc., and even that is probably applied with a bit of common sense.

daddyof2

My adage is that you have to go a fairly long way to be overdressed but its easy to be underdressed - but I do realise that's how I feel, and not the rules

HildeKitten

Things do sell out, but over the course of quite some time.
Frankly, if you go into a shop, and you see a few pieces of an item you like, and you then don't see it in all the other shops you visit it's probably a good idea to go back and get it, just to be certain.
But otherwise, I really wouldn't worry.
If for instance the Emporium has only 2 of a certain item you like, there is a pretty big chance at least one other shop (and quite probably more) carry that same item as well.
Shop specific things are quite rare in DLP these days, from my experience at least.

Unless it's something you know you'll wear/use loads and there's only 1 in a shop, I really wouldn't buy on the spot but look around and decide what you are getting and what you're not getting later :)
I do that nowadays (I have a shopping list as a guideline too) and it's not only saving me quite a bit of money, but it's also making sure I don't go home with things I bought on the spur of the moment and don't wear/use afterwards.