Recommendations for Christmas lunch and/or dinner?

Started by ehsmum, July 04, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehsmum

Hi everyone, I'm visiting Europe with my family in December/January and we will be spending Christmas at Disneyland :) We're not going to do a meal plan but I would like to book somewhere for either lunch or dinner on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and was wondering if there are any recommendations? My youngest son is a very fussy eater so we normally avoid "nice" restaurants. Places like Rainforest Cafe or Planet Hollywood are good for us as he'll only eat chips! But I'd like to eat in the parks for those two special meals (Xmas Eve is my birthday :) ). Has anyone done a Christmas dinner at DLP and can recommend a special experience? Character meals are our preference but will appreciate all recommendations. Thanks!

emma.shane2

I'm also interested in what Xmas meals are the best!

grovesie

We were there in 2014. New York hotel has a Christmas dinner. Christmas eve is more celebrated in France. We had a great time with lots of character interaction. see below

Christmas Dinner by grovesie.i, on Flickr

bad-pink-tink

Like Grovesie I was at DLP Christmas 2013 and had Christmas Day Lunch at Hotel New York. I was with my mum and we were in the smaller Manhattan restaurant. This is my review of the lunch https://forum.dlpguide.com/index.php?topic=15959.0
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

ehsmum

Hi grovesie and bad-pink-tink,

thanks so much for your replies. Love your photos grovesie! I've been wondering about the Christmas Eve vs Christmas Day thing, because the DLP website lists special Christmas Eve meals but not Christmas Day. Now it makes sense!! I've looked at the menus for  the New York Hotel, Plaza Gardens and Steakhouse Christmas dinners and I know that my youngest won't eat anything on them :(. The prices aren't listed on the site, but I'm guessing they will be pricey and I don't know if I want to pay for him to sit there and not eat (and complain the whole time!). What was your experience with the food? Do you think they would bring him a bowl of french fries?

This is what I'm looking at:
http://www.disneylandparis.com/en/dining/christmas-eve-dinner/

I'm a bit confused because the menus are for the 3 restaurants listed above, but then it has a list of participating restaurants. One is Inventions, which I think might be a good option for us from the reviews, but I'm unsure if they offer special Christmas meals. Guess I'd better bite the bullet and phone the dining reservations line. Is that an easy enough process when one doesn't speak French?

stifle

The dining reservations line has an option to press 1 for French, press 2 for English. In my experience you will be put through to a French-nationality cast member either way, but the English option means they greet you in English and you carry on from there. It's probably the best place to get a definitive answer.

Unless your youngest is (or passes for) under 3, you should expect to pay for him at the prevailing price, whether he will actually eat anything or not.

ehsmum

Thanks Stifle. I'm chuckling at my son passing for under 3 - he's 11 but will be 12 by the time we're at DLP but is so tall, people assume he's 16! We've had the experience of paying for him not to eat before - at WDW in 2010 when he was 6, we paid $40 for character meal and he ate one piece of watermelon!! That's why I'm thinking we should stick to places like Planet Hollywood and Rainforest Cafe, but I really want to make the most of being at Disney at Christmas and having a special Xmas meal. Thanks for the info on the phone line - I will figure out the best time to call with the time difference and hopefully get  some answers  :)

LotsoHugginBear

Maybe this is helpfull: http://www.dein-dlrp.de/Disneyland-Resort-Paris-Blog/essen-an-weihnachten-im-disneyland-paris/
They have listed all Restauarants, that offer a Christmas Eve Dinner and all prices for this event. The text is in german but prices are numbers :-) and the menu is in french.
Prices for this event are ... :o  I don't know what to say, just have a look.

rebecca20

Pretty sure all the buffets have chips, pizza etc.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: rebecca20 on October 26, 2015, 04:10:59 PM
Pretty sure all the buffets have chips, pizza etc.

Thats not correct. On Christmas Day 2013 I did the Merry Christmas Brunch in the Manhatten Restaurant Hotel New York. This was one of the special Character Christmas Meals.

It was a buffet BUT the food was fine dining, no chips, pizza etc, NOT the same type of food served at Plaza Gardens buffet.

The first section was a fish section
Oysters
Langoustines and Prawns
Smoked Salmon
Flaked Crab

The second section
Goats Cheese Mousse
Avocado and Prawn Mousse
Salmon Roe Salad
Selection of bread and Bellini pancakes

The third section
Soup
Serrano Ham
Christmas Asparagus and sundried tomatoes
2 types of Fois Gras with pear chutney
Mixed leaf salad with truffle vinaigrette

Main Course
Truffled white pudding with honey glazed apples
Stuffed capon fondant with chestnuts and porcine mushrooms
Seafood stew with baby vegetables and lobster sauce
Roast loin of veal with morel mushroom jus and potato gratin
Stuffed pasta with creamy parmesan sauce
Scallops with crayfish and a Champagne Beurre Blanc sauce
Panfried medallions of lamb with thyme and a vegetable gratin
Sauteed winter vegetables with chanterelle mushrooms

Dessert Table
Cheese selection
Whole fruit and fruit salad
Mini macaroons
Yule Log
Chocolate mousse
Vanilla Mousse
Selection of Petite Fours
Section of mini fruit tarts

There were lots of families with children and all the children were eating the food from the buffet and not a kids menu of chips etc
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

rebecca20

Oh my bad - I assumed the menu wouldn't vary so much in the Hotels. Seems a bit silly for people with allergies especially.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

grovesie

Our Christmas dinner was more traditional. Seafood starter followed by traditional turkey mains and Christmas pud/mince pies for desert. We had 4 bottles of wine on the table. 2 red and 2 white

Whilst the starter was not to everyone's liking the main course and desert was very good. The character interaction fabulous.

You should be able to find a copy of the menu somewhere

ehsmum

Quote from: LotsoHugginBear on October 26, 2015, 03:58:23 PM
Maybe this is helpfull: http://www.dein-dlrp.de/Disneyland-Resort-Paris-Blog/essen-an-weihnachten-im-disneyland-paris/
They have listed all Restauarants, that offer a Christmas Eve Dinner and all prices for this event. The text is in german but prices are numbers :-) and the menu is in french.
Prices for this event are ... :o  I don't know what to say, just have a look.

Thanks for the link. Those prices are ridiculous! I'd love to do a special meal, but I'm not paying 219euro x 5  ::) Looks like I'm back to the drawing board...

carrydee44

Yes the prices are too expensive, so am hoping what other restaurants are not doing a mad expensive menu those days.. we will be there from 23 to 27 so would like to do a nice meal on Christmas day budget allowing.  We have annual passes so least we will have discount.  Is inventions on Christmas day or is that more expensive than normal.

Thanks
Hotel Ny 1998
Newport bay Jan 2006
Santa fe    oct 2006
Disneyland hotel jan 2008
Newport Bay oct 2008
Cheyenne Jan 2009
Cheyenne Sept 2009
Newport Bay November 2010
New York Oct 2011
Cheyenne November 2012
New York Oct 2013
Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest Jan 2015
Kyriad October 2015
Hi Park Serris December 2015
Sejours Et Affaires Rive Gauche Dec 2016

lorinclark88

Hi,

I'm currently on hold to the reservations line now. Little hint for those who are in same position, Call 08001690737 (freephone from landline) and then ask to be transferred to Disneyland Paris restaurant reservations without paying international rates!

I have booked Inventions for Christmas Day lunch with Characters, and it is more expensive than normal day, was informed on the phone that costs would be 89Euro for an adult and 39Euro for a child. On the plus side, there would be characters and it is considerably cheaper than the other offerings at 169Euro or more!!