California Grill?

Started by onceuponadream, June 21, 2015, 09:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onceuponadream

My husband and I are heading to DLP just before Christmas this year, and are hoping to be able to treat ourselves to a few nice meals while we're there. On our list for definite is Walt's & The Blue Lagoon, but I've just seen a couple of pics of the California Grill which looks pretty spectacular.

Unfortunately the menu on DLP Guide is currently unavailable, and I can't find much that's up-to-date in the way of food or prices. I know it's pricey, but might somebody be able to let me know how much we're talking, please? Trying to work out a budget and it's proving fairly impossible in terms of food!

Would also appreciate any other *must-visit* recommendations of restaurants, please! No children with us and we love our food so are happy to spend a good chunk of time enjoying lunch/dinner.

Thanks in advance :).
December 2015 - Sequoia Lodge
December 2016 - Sequoia Lodge
July 2018 - Newport Bay Club

DisneyRon

Not considering any price increases since September 2014, then the "Tinkerbell" menu at the California Grill was €79 per person.

The tasting menu was around €100 if I recall.

à la carte is also possible, but quite pricey to put it mildly.

As for food, there's usually a menu update in April, so I have no idea what's on the menu right now.

They use a modified iPad app for the menu, which makes taking pictures of the menus a bit tricky. ;)

onceuponadream

Blimey - that's steep! Thanks very much; that's really helpful, though. Undecided at the moment - I think it depends where else we go!

DisneyRon

Quote from: onceuponadream on June 21, 2015, 10:23:34 PM
Blimey - that's steep! Thanks very much; that's really helpful, though. Undecided at the moment - I think it depends where else we go!

The price is rather steep indeed. The food is great though. :)

stifle

I have some bad photos of the menu that I took yesterday. Whilst I transcribe them I can just confirm the following prices:

Starters €19-31 or sharing platter €49
Mains €40-66 or lamb for two €99
Desserts €20-28

Tinker Bell menu €80, tasting menu €125, child menu €35

Wine from €37

stifle

Here we go

To start with
Burrata & baby beetroot with a drizzle of truffle oil €27 (T)
Semi-smoked salmon fillet with a creamy Meaux mustard sauce €27 (T)
Brie de Favières tart with ham and a mixed-leaf salad dressed with a Nemours poppy vinaigrette €19 (P)
Sweetcorn and crab soup with a light tonka bean mousse €18 (P)
Semi-cooked duck and Chardonnay foie gras with smooth apricot chutney €29 (T)
Crispy coriander langoustine served with rocket and cranberry wasabi €29
Caesar-style California Grill salad €31
Beef terrine with a creamy sweet mustard sauce and pickled carrots €19 (P)
Sharing platter with beef terrine, langoustines, smoked salmon and foie gras €49

What else?
Roast lobster in citrus butter with a fennel and yuzu compôte €66
Scallops, porcini mushroom risotto, and saffron shellfish foam €49 (T)
John Dory fillet and creamy leeks in a delicate garlic butter and ginger tart with seasonal vegetables €55
Beef fillet served with a Californian wine sauce, porcini mushroom and aubergine confit, and a blue cheese and fresh herb potato cake €55 (T)
Mini roast loin of veal served with a beetroot and elderberry demi-glaze, and an apple and truffonade sauce €49 (T)
Mildly spicy vegetable curry served with wild red rice €40 (P)
Quercy leg of lamb served with a rosemary and orange infusion, kidney beans, and broad beans cooked with chorizo and roasted parsnip – for two guests to share €99

Sea bream and red sea bream fillet pan fried in a coconut sauce and served with soba noodles with vegetables and curry (P only)
Free-range roast chicken supreme in a full-bodied smoked scarmoza sauce with wild rice (P only)

As a treat
Selection of ice creams €20 (P)
Beauty and the Beast (Charlotte cake with pink Reims biscuits, rose of Provins confit, and a passion fruit and rose mousse) €28 (T)
Frozen (coconut jelly with violet and blackcurrant mousse) €25
Snow White's Temptation €25 (T)
Our selection of fine cheeses €20 (P/T)

Chocolate and morello cherry delight served with vanilla mousse (P only)

Vacherin birthday cake for 4-8 people (order before your meal) €27

Drinks
Soft drinks €5.50 (33cl glass bottle)
Wine from €34 per bottle
Champagne from €60 per bottle
Full menu available at the venue

Set menus
Tasting menu €125 – starter, hot starter, fish and meat, cheese, desserts and petits fours
Tinker Bell menu €80 – starter, main course, and dessert from the items marked (T) above
Premium menu only available to holders of Premium meal plan vouchers – no cash price; starter, main course and dessert from the items marked (P) above.

Kids menu
For children aged 3 to 11 inclusive
€35 including 33cl Vittel water, orange or apple Minute Maid juice (15cl), milk (20cl), or soft drink (25cl)

Starters
Velouté of seasonal vegetables
Turkey maki and mixed-leaf salad
Cucumber tartar and smoked salmon

Main courses
Fillet of sea bream, basmati rice and lobster bisque
Spaghetti as you like it: tomato sauce, bolognese, or plain
Chicken drumsticks, roasted baby potatoes and green beans

Desserts
Chilled morello cherry soup
Selection of ice creams
Chocolate-filled hedgehog

All prices include VAT and service charge

DisneyRon

Very nice Stifle. :D

Looks like they changed it up quite a bit since last September.

Odd to see Olaf's Laugh disappear from the (P) menu, especially with Frozen Summer Fun going on. :o

daddyof2

There used to be (and still might be) a photo of the Beauty and the Beast dessert in the DLP brochure - it looks amazing. I've not eaten there, and probably won't for at least the foreseeable future but I bet they do some lovely food

DisneyRon

Quote from: daddyof2 on June 23, 2015, 09:39:41 PM
There used to be (and still might be) a photo of the Beauty and the Beast dessert in the DLP brochure - it looks amazing. I've not eaten there, and probably won't for at least the foreseeable future but I bet they do some lovely food

I've posted a picture of Snow White's Temptation in both the food thread and my September 2014 Trip Report.
It's rather spectacular, and delicious. :)

onceuponadream

Thanks very much to both of you - that's an enormous(e!) help! :)

CitrusZing

Could you describe the Snow White's Temptation a bit more please?
DLP: 1992 Summer (Cheyenne).
2012: May (Santa Fe).
2013: Nov (Kyriad).
2014: Jan (Cheyenne), & Halloween (Kyriad).
2015: Jan - Birthday Trip (Disneyland Hotel) & Sept (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2016: April (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2017: Jan (Santa Fe - 1 night birthday trip), March (Hotel New York - Empire State Club), June (Cheyenne - 1 night trip) & Sept (Santa Fe).
Upcoming:
Sept 2018 (Newport Bay Club - Compass Club).

DisneyRon

Quote from: CitrusZing on September 06, 2015, 10:33:14 PM
Could you describe the Snow White's Temptation a bit more please?

It's called "The Temptation of Snow White."
The smoke comes from a small chunk of dry ice in the "potion" underneath.

It's a spectacular dessert, but a bit of a mess to eat, you only get a spoon for the final course, and that "apple" will slide all over that glass dish while you're trying to dig into it. You'll need to use your hands to stop it sliding off.

It's a ball of light mousse (not entirely sure on the flavour, no strong overtones in there) with a vanilla ice-cream core, and the whole thing is covered in red sugar. It tastes heavenly I might add.

All these come from my trip report from last year, but I imagine they wouldn't have changed that particular dessert much. :)

CitrusZing

Thanks for the description DisneyRon. It sounds like it looks more interesting than it will taste. Might pass on that for dessert on Sunday.
DLP: 1992 Summer (Cheyenne).
2012: May (Santa Fe).
2013: Nov (Kyriad).
2014: Jan (Cheyenne), & Halloween (Kyriad).
2015: Jan - Birthday Trip (Disneyland Hotel) & Sept (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2016: April (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2017: Jan (Santa Fe - 1 night birthday trip), March (Hotel New York - Empire State Club), June (Cheyenne - 1 night trip) & Sept (Santa Fe).
Upcoming:
Sept 2018 (Newport Bay Club - Compass Club).

onceuponadream

Aaaand five months later I've finally managed to talk my husband into it! We'll be eating there on one of our last nights :).

rebecca20

I wish they would just give me 3 courses of the deserts! I'm such a fussy eater for mains and starters but all the deserts looked divine when we looked in June - had premium meal vouchers too  :(
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.