Would you take a 4 year old in to Phantom Manor?

Started by bp_serene, June 09, 2015, 03:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bp_serene

My little girl is very brave, she watches all sorts of movies with scenes other children would find scary. But I'm wondering if the atmosphere, music, darkness etc. in the manor might be a bit too much? Has anyone else taken a young child into Phantom Manor?

I guess I don't really want to ride it alone! Ha ha!

andrewuk

Took our 6 year old son in. He was ok with it but didn't want to ride it again. All kids are different, but if she is happy to do it, go for it!
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

caspdex

Our DD found Snow White more intimidating than Phantom Manor at that age.

Zee79

It depends on your child. We've been taking our 'little ones' on it since their first visits when they were each about 10 months old- eldest that travels is now 12years old and the youngest are both 4. They have all loved it. Like with all rides, do what you think is best for your child, only you know them.

HildeKitten

Like everyone else said: it depends on your child.
I know 4 year olds that think it's awesome, and I know 8 year olds that were scared the time they went in.
You know your daughter best, so it's up to you.
What you could do, is go for a walk around the manor area, you can go into the courtyard without joining the queue and if you follow the exit path you can go onto Boot Hill Cemetary where you can check out all the funny headstones and graves. If she still wants more, then the ride itself is probably a good thing to take her on :)

samuelvictor

As others have said, it really depends on the child - judge them by how much certain films, tv shows or books have previously affected them - or how they are with strangers in costumes, like at Holloween or fancy dress parties for example. My own kids would have been 100% fine with it at 4... they both have some kind of inbuilt tendency to think gothic and "traditional" horror shtick is either cool, funny or both. They adore Tim Burton movies and anything a little alternative and don't understand why others could possibly find them scary. That said, I know other children who find anything even slightly dark deeply horrifying - those kids wouldn't last through Animagique, let alone Phantom Manor. I don't mean that in a judgemental way, just in a "you know your own kids better than anyone else" kind of way  ;)

tsaress

I took my 4 year old niece and she wasn't too happy about half way though she freaked out a little. She seemed to look forward to it before that. She's quite a brave girl but think it really started with having to get on in the dark and the carriages moving at the same time. She hated the ghost in the carriage with us but watching the ghosts in the main room interested her. She loved POTC though.

So I think it depends on the 4 year old.
DLP March 2018, DLP October 2017, DLP June 2017, DLP April 2017
DLP July 2015, DLP Jan 2013, DLP August 2006, DLP July 1998
DLP April 1993
WDW July 1988

bp_serene

A ghost in the carriage WITH YOU? Eeek! I don't know if I will even like that! Ha ha!

Thank you for your suggestions, I think we'll play it by ear when the time comes.

HildeKitten

Actually, there's a couple of on ride videos of Phantom Manor up on youtube I believe, maybe watch one first, and if you think it would still be ok for your daughter maybe watch it with her, and see what she thinks.
I know that's a bit spoilerific, but it's at least a good way to gauge whether or not it's for her :)

bp_serene

I've just watched it, I think it might be too loud and dark for her. It would be different if there was a 'character' she knew to give it a hook, but I think I will be riding this one alone! Might have to make some friends in the queue..... Thanks everyone! OMG only 2 sleeps to go!

McSuze

We took our son on when he was 4, he hated it, ended up with his head hidden under DH's arm!

He hasn't been on since  :o
:-)

solo_beckett

My niece was afraid of Peter Pan and she is nearly 10 (mind you she's was being a bit needy as she does not like to see her little sister have fun)
Only you know your daughter, ride it once yourself maybe? It is a bit spooky but if she is into science you could explain how the rides work and that ghosts don't really exist before you go in. How is she about halloween? ;)

AlmostThere...

I took my 2 on at 4 and 7, they were more or less totally fine, the 4 year old cuddled into me a couple of times, we plan to go to DLP next year and I think they will happily go again.
First trip October 2012 - Marriott resort and 1 day DLP trip
Second trip October 2014 - 5 days Davy Crockett
Third trip to DLP.... On hold until after WDW in August 2017!!

bucksmum

My son is now 6, this has been his favourite ride since he was 3.  We told him everything was pretend and he seems to find it funny rather than scary.  I agree though, all children are different. 

gavinng

Took my 19 month old boys on the ride just last week. They were very neutral towards the ride. They weren't scared. A little fascinated, but not overly excited like they were on Pirates.