air france

Started by Lucyloo, February 16, 2015, 10:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormflm595

Quote from: learning-the-ropes on February 19, 2015, 01:33:21 PM
Quote from: stormflm595 on February 19, 2015, 09:45:20 AM
hi learning-the-ropes, welcome to the board!

I know for certain that snacks are allowed. we tend to take cereal with us just incase we don't have time to go to breakfast or we miss our slot. as for soft drinks, I am not sure and I would advise you to check on your airports website or to ring up their info desk and ask. I only say this as I'm not sure what size bottles you plan to take and I don't know for the sure the regulations. may I suggest buying a bottle of water there, and taking one of the new Robinsons Squashums or a couple depending how many of you there are? there are water fountains around the park which you can use for free and then you only need a couple of drops to give it some flavour :) it also means you save room in your luggage incase you spot anything you really can't resist!
Hi, many thanks for welcoming me and for replying. What a fantastic idea regarding the squashums, will defo do that. I'm flying air France from birmingham in July and air France but operated by Flybe on return. I was thinking of taking a couple of 500ml bottles of concentrate juice for use in the hotel, there's 4 of us for 5 nights but the squashums are a great idea so maybe just take those. If I buy some drinks say a 500ml bottle of water after security can I take that in my hand luggage?

if you choose to buy it before the airport, ask for advice before you pack about the 500mls but I don't see the problem with that. I would just hate to give you the wrong info and for your luggage to arrive in paris opened and the drinks removed!

anything you buy after security, drinks included are all okay to take on the flight and can be put into your hand luggage :)
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

stormflm595

Quote from: Lucyloo on February 19, 2015, 09:57:36 AM
Funnily enough I got the 'Squashums' last week as they were on offer at Tesco.  Planned to take them anyway.  A colleague at work said to go to Boots after security and buy the £3 meal deals for us all.  Sounds good and I'll just keep everything in my bag until we're hungry.

good idea lucyloo! be wary of airport charges though! but you should be okay and it will certainly be cheaper than having a sit down meal in the airport!
August 2001 DLP, 3 days

learning-the-ropes

Quote from: stormflm595 on February 19, 2015, 05:54:07 PM
Quote from: learning-the-ropes on February 19, 2015, 01:33:21 PM
Quote from: stormflm595 on February 19, 2015, 09:45:20 AM
hi learning-the-ropes, welcome to the board!

I know for certain that snacks are allowed. we tend to take cereal with us just incase we don't have time to go to breakfast or we miss our slot. as for soft drinks, I am not sure and I would advise you to check on your airports website or to ring up their info desk and ask. I only say this as I'm not sure what size bottles you plan to take and I don't know for the sure the regulations. may I suggest buying a bottle of water there, and taking one of the new Robinsons Squashums or a couple depending how many of you there are? there are water fountains around the park which you can use for free and then you only need a couple of drops to give it some flavour :) it also means you save room in your luggage incase you spot anything you really can't resist!
Hi, many thanks for welcoming me and for replying. What a fantastic idea regarding the squashums, will defo do that. I'm flying air France from birmingham in July and air France but operated by Flybe on return. I was thinking of taking a couple of 500ml bottles of concentrate juice for use in the hotel, there's 4 of us for 5 nights but the squashums are a great idea so maybe just take those. If I buy some drinks say a 500ml bottle of water after security can I take that in my hand luggage?

if you choose to buy it before the airport, ask for advice before you pack about the 500mls but I don't see the problem with that. I would just hate to give you the wrong info and for your luggage to arrive in paris opened and the drinks removed!

anything you buy after security, drinks included are all okay to take on the flight and can be put into your hand luggage :)
Brilliant. Thanks ever so much for your help. I will double check the drinks with air France and see whether it's okay and even if not at least I can stock up on snacks -  especially for my kids.

Esti

There's a very small amount of liquid you can take with you to the airport, very small. I think the only exception is formula for babies, and I've heard of parents having to feed it to their kids in front of the security personel to make sure it is formula. One of my friends couldn't take a snow globe with her. It is not up to the airline to decide if you can take it or not. Those are the airport's security measures.

However, if it's not in the hand luggage, you can take it. You can also drink it before the security control, or you can just buy something to drink in the duty free.

I'd suggest eating and drinking something before the control. I guess the flight will be quick, so between that and the snacks during the flight, you'll probably be fine.

minnieme

Hi,

I have flown Air France from Manchester many times. Used to work at the airport too!! We flew from Terminal 3, it is a joint Air France/Fly Be check in.

Security will most likely take any drinks off you before you go airside, they are very strict on liquids in Manchester. We always take drinks and snacks onboard and just buy them before getting on. We tend to go for the 0845 flight as it is an Air France plane rather than flybe. Air France seating rows of 3 rather than Fly Be embraer jet rows of 2. We usually get breakfasty type snack and a brew before we start boarding.

Terminal 3 airside in Manchester isn't too big. We have usually gone from gate 49. All within a few minutes walk.

April 2011 & June 2012 Hotel New York
May 2013 Disneyland Hotel
Aug 2014 Disney Magic Med cruise
Aug 2014 Disneyland Hotel
May 2015 Disneyland Hotel

learning-the-ropes

Thank you all for your help😊. My kids will probably have a drink each in their backpacks so will get them to drink them before security and then I'll buy some more after to last them till tea time. Flight not till 1.40 so will have dinner after security and that will keep us going. I noticed on the website that the Flybe plane is smaller than the air France one. 30 hours before departure I'll book the seats.

Having only flown twice in 2003, I'm super excited.😄😄😄

captain rocket

The limit for fluids is 100ml, which is not a lot! Some airports are fussier than others and I have seen people with a very small amount of water left in  larger bottles having that confiscated.
Remember that this limit applies to perfume, after shave etc in your hand baggage. having a £40.00 bottle of smellies confiscated is no joke.
When you consider how keen airports are to squeeze every last drop of cash out of travellers, I am surprised that none of them have come up with a scheme where you could have expensive confiscated items posted to your home address, at your own expense of course, I guess that will probably come into force eventually!

sarahmumof4

The last time I flew was in 1999 and my kids have never flown so we are all excited .

I need to read up what we can and can't take .
We have suitcases that will go in the hold rather than hand luggage. I'm guessing normal toiletries are ok if they are going in the hold ?
First visit - Santa Fe , March 2011

Adagio , Feb 2013

Santa Fe , Feb 2014

Fourth visit - Sequoia Lodge , Golden Forest rooms  December 2015 🎄

learning-the-ropes

Quote from: sarahmumof4 on February 20, 2015, 11:08:20 AM
The last time I flew was in 1999 and my kids have never flown so we are all excited .

I need to read up what we can and can't take .
We have suitcases that will go in the hold rather than hand luggage. I'm guessing normal toiletries are ok if they are going in the hold ?

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. My kids have never flown and never been abroad before. I absolutely wanted to fly to add to experience for them and make their first trip abroad as special as I can. Super super excited for the whole experience. Very daunting though and so much to organise. As far as I'm understanding, as long as they go in the hold all the toiletries will be ok and I hope robinsons squashums - I need them to make drinks.

stormflm595

the general rule of thumb most people follow is to make sure any liquids, even a tiny bottle is in your hold luggage. toiletries and deodorants of any size are allowed in your hold luggage, snacks and goods up to a certain sterling amount in line with the particular airports restrictions (we're talking around a £1000 worth of food and drink so no need to worry on that!) do not need to be claimed at customs so you walk right through.

basically if you can avoid it, do not take any liquids into your check in BEFORE security, purely to save yourself time and effort (if you did you have to put every liquid into seperate, clear 100 ml bottles and even there I'm not sure if you can take more than one). obviously if you have a baby, then formula is fine but you would need to proof what it is at security as others have mentioned. if you are unsure at all, ask the security people, they are there to help you :) I once had a panic as I take the pill, and I get travel sickness so I had my travel tablets and my pill and had no idea on the rule of over the counter and meds. so I asked the guy checking my bags and he said it was absolutely fine and to always ask if I'm unsure. they're mostly a friendly bunch and would prefer you to get through quickly than not knowing what to take and what to do.

any snacks and small bottles drinks you buy in the airport after going through security is allowed to be taken on board as you have had no time to tamper with it in anyway. however, as mentioned above, buying perfume or any alcohol on duty free is not allowed if you're flying outbound. I wasn't allowed to buy any perfume a couple
of years ago as I could tamper with it whilst at disney, but I was allowed to buy whiskey for my dad at paris duty free coming home as I would have no time. leave any airport presents for others or yourself that is liquid till you come home basically :)
August 2001 DLP, 3 days

stormflm595

also, liquids involve make up as well so if you were to take liquid foundation in your carry on, it would have to be in a clear, 100ml, plastic bottle and not in the original glass bottle. best avoid it and put all make up in your hold luggage!!
August 2001 DLP, 3 days

learning-the-ropes

Quote from: stormflm595 on February 20, 2015, 02:46:42 PM
the general rule of thumb most people follow is to make sure any liquids, even a tiny bottle is in your hold luggage. toiletries and deodorants of any size are allowed in your hold luggage, snacks and goods up to a certain sterling amount in line with the particular airports restrictions (we're talking around a £1000 worth of food and drink so no need to worry on that!) do not need to be claimed at customs so you walk right through.

basically if you can avoid it, do not take any liquids into your check in BEFORE security, purely to save yourself time and effort (if you did you have to put every liquid into seperate, clear 100 ml bottles and even there I'm not sure if you can take more than one). obviously if you have a baby, then formula is fine but you would need to proof what it is at security as others have mentioned. if you are unsure at all, ask the security people, they are there to help you :) I once had a panic as I take the pill, and I get travel sickness so I had my travel tablets and my pill and had no idea on the rule of over the counter and meds. so I asked the guy checking my bags and he said it was absolutely fine and to always ask if I'm unsure. they're mostly a friendly bunch and would prefer you to get through quickly than not knowing what to take and what to do.

any snacks and small bottles drinks you buy in the airport after going through security is allowed to be taken on board as you have had no time to tamper with it in anyway. however, as mentioned above, buying perfume or any alcohol on duty free is not allowed if you're flying outbound. I wasn't allowed to buy any perfume a couple
of years ago as I could tamper with it whilst at disney, but I was allowed to buy whiskey for my dad at paris duty free coming home as I would have no time. leave any airport presents for others or yourself that is liquid till you come home basically :)

Brilliant. Thank you so much. Super excited. Wish I didn't have to wait till July 😥😥

dejmurph1

however, as mentioned above, buying perfume or any alcohol on duty free is not allowed if you're flying outbound. I wasn't allowed to buy any perfume a couple

I dont this may be correct. You can buy anything you like once you pass security once it can be packed in your hold luggage on the way back.

stormflm595

Quote from: dejmurph1 on February 20, 2015, 11:50:17 PM
however, as mentioned above, buying perfume or any alcohol on duty free is not allowed if you're flying outbound. I wasn't allowed to buy any perfume a couple

I dont this may be correct. You can buy anything you like once you pass security once it can be packed in your hold luggage on the way back.

I definitely wasn't allowed at Birmingham duty free. I was asked if I was going on holiday or going home, told the guy I was going on my hols and was refused the sale. I have no idea why since like you said, I could out it in my hold luggage on the way back. I was allowed to buy duty free in Paris though. perhaps it is just Birmingham airport rules.
August 2001 DLP, 3 days

Lucyloo

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the 'snack' consists of on an Air France flight from Manchester to CDG?  Just wondering if my son will eat it or if we're better buying something at the airport.

Thanks +