Pin Trading Tips!

Started by naisworld, October 29, 2014, 08:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naisworld

We have been to Dlrp before but now my sons 4 we want to start collecting pins. We have no idea how pin trading works and are after some advice. I have seen you can buy some starter sets on ebay but they all seem to be from Disneyworld, is it cheaper to buy a starter set once we arrive. How and where do we trade pins? I've heard people mention trading boards, what are they?
Thanks in advance  :)

polar vixen

As long as ponds are official Disney ones it doesn't matter which park they come from, all cat members wear lanyards with pins on, if you see one you like you simply ask if you can swoptions. We usually buy a lot of 25 of eBay to trade for 13.50, and have never had a problem trading them and it'salot cheaper than buying a starter set from the park!

naisworld

Thanks that's great. I think I will definitely buy some off eBay. How do you know if they are genuine disney pins? Do you know the names of the sellers you have bought from in the past? :D

PrincessKirsty

if your going to trade i wouldnt buy the lots on ebay as they tend to be fakes! i am a pin trader and collector and it upsets me no end when i see them in the parks. they are oftrn very poor quality as well. if you have any more questions just ask!

naisworld

Thanks for the advice. I have just looked on eBay at the lots and some of the feedback does say they are fakes. I really want genuine pins so may buy a starter set on eBay (around £20 for a lanyard and 4 badges). Then may buy a few from the uk disney store site.

daddyof2

There are lots of sets, single pins and lanyards available at DLP, but obviously they're fairly expensive. One idea might be to buy ones that are on sale on the Disney Store website, then trade for ones you want in the Parks. I'd advise trying to think of a theme (e.g. Mickey Mouse or Pixar) of ones you'd like to get, as there are so many available. I must say I found it hard not to buy pins whenever I saw them though. My favourite place was probably from the Cart near Casey's Corner - the shops get crowded

RockNRoller

I like to collect pins as a reminder of the holiday so my collection is the hotels we've stayed in, the rides we've been on, parades we've seen, years we've been etc. They're all on a large cork board on my wall that I spray painted black so the pins really stand out.
Whatever you decide to collect get ready to become obsessed  ;D.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

Mrsya

We've bought the lots of 25 genuine disney pins from ebay seller three times now and never had a problem swapping or trading them with cast members or other collectors. They all have the Mickey backs and are stamped with park and year of manufacture. My son loves this part of the holiday and chooses his 'keeps and swaps' on the journey to France. We look back on the swaps as memories of rides or lands we visited and it has really helped him to gain confidence in talking to adults. He loved saying some key French words to the cast members and they were all lovely about taking time out of whatever they were doing to stop and talk to my litte boy.

I'd go down the ebay route as if you buy a lovely (and ridiculously expensive) starter pack from disney your litte one might not want to swap and the cheapest single pin is 6.99. You're also restricting yourself to only 4 swaps too and nearly all of the cast members in the shops wear lanyards. We also visited a pin trading post down ear Pocahontas' play park this time too. A board full of swaps for my son to choose from. Heaven!

A&S&O

Quote from: Mrsya on October 31, 2014, 12:56:19 PM
We've bought the lots of 25 genuine disney pins from ebay seller three times now and never had a problem swapping or trading them with cast members or other collectors. They all have the Mickey backs and are stamped with park and year of manufacture.

So do the fakes.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

smudgepuss

Don't assume that the pins cast members have are genuine.  They're obliged to swap with anyone who asks, and generally just reswap what they get.  I swapped a few pins with cast members on my last trip and they were all fakes - gutted that I didn't notice until I got home.

Paris: 1997, 2003, 2008, 2012 (Santa Fe), 2013, 2014 (Cheyenne)
Tokyo: 2009, 2015

polar vixen

for my kids, they're not all that bothered - if a Disney pin looks like  Disney pin and is a character that they like, it doesn't make a difference if they're fakes, and if they are they're incredibly good fakes, .  I know it's different if you're an avid collector but for kids, I think it's just nice for them to interact, nad maybe learn to say please and thank you in French.

Mrsya

Quote from: polar vixen on November 03, 2014, 01:26:22 PM
for my kids, they're not all that bothered - if a Disney pin looks like  Disney pin and is a character that they like, it doesn't make a difference if they're fakes, and if they are they're incredibly good fakes, .  I know it's different if you're an avid collector but for kids, I think it's just nice for them to interact, nad maybe learn to say please and thank you in French.

I could not agree more!

Susiesuedisney

Going to sound bit stupid question but how do you know if they are fake or real?

daddyof2

Quote from: Susiesuedisney on November 26, 2014, 03:42:52 PM
Going to sound bit stupid question but how do you know if they are fake or real?

That's not a stupid question - you need to look at the back really. See this link:

http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20140526/18214/7-ways-tell-if-disney-pin-genuine