Jedi Training Academy at Videopolis

Started by jimtrim, September 02, 2014, 10:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimtrim

Hey.... so I just kinda understood from InsideDLP that Videopolis is maybe intended for the Jedi Training Academy.

What!! Am I alone, or does anyone else think this is....erm.... let's just say, not great!? (on many levels) Do you think the exterior would work with an inside Star Wars theme.....maybe the'll change the Hyperion Airship into the front of an imperial star destroyer  :), or even more, finally convert the SM2 dome into the death star!

Having no kids, can't say that I wouldn't be a tad angry that I wouldn't be able to take part......gggrrrr!

...And finally, I think they'd have to have a lot more than just 12 kids take part ....a lot more. Well, I guess it depends on how long the show/experience would be, but can't help but feel this ad hoc turn up and get in/or not would only bring back the chaos of the Lion King 'queues'.
Unless they made a proper queue, like you have to wait for the next show in the Art of Animation show/ tour in WDS.....
seeing a long queue would anger me even more!!!:)

...and also I read that Cafe Hyperion is the most profitable restaurant in the whole of the complex... er, how is this possible!

... drawing by day, dreaming by night, Disney fan all the time!:)
http://www.jimtrim.co.uk/

samuelvictor

Do you mean that it would replace the cinema screen showing cartoons? That would be a shame. I'm perfectly fine with them turning the cartoons off when there is a show to watch, or live band etc, but for me the area works best as somewhere to sit down and watch something - a welcome place to relax for half an hour or so and recharge your batteries whilst still having entertainment.

Or if it would instead be replacing the arcade machines, I also think that would be a mistake. They clearly bring in a decent income for the park, and its nice to have dedicated places where cool arcade games can be played, what with the general disapearance of dedicated videogames arcades around the world, all switching to gambling machines instead...

For me it would make more sense to have it in the (ever decreasing) arcade area after Star Tours, or do something cool with re-theming the Captain EO building (which seems to only occasionally open and is a shadow of its former self).

Has there been actual confirmation that adults wouldn't be allowed to take part? I know for a fact that a very high percentage of Star Wars fans are in their 30s or older - I've recently worked at some charity events for "Force for Change" and "Master the Force" in Hamleys, and though they were set in a toy shop, adults were as welcome as children to take part and no-one seemed to think it strange... also no-one really thinks twice about an adult going to watch Disney Jr or Stitch Live without kids, they're just checking out all the entertainment available and their inner child is enjoying the show (though admittedly they sit or stand at the sides in Disney JR. Sitting in the middle with the toddlers would be weird!).

msRavenswood

I believe they will transform the stage. It would be wisest of course to put the Academy in the Captain Eo building and progressively built a Star Wars mini land, but the rumours say that they are placing it at Videopolis.

As for adults not being able to participate, I think this is what happens both in California and Florida, so I don't think it will be different in Paris.

polar vixen

I'm finding it hard to get my head around this one, I'm quite on board with the idea of a star wars land, But I love the theming around hyperion, nautilous, autopia and orbitron.  I love the nostalgia and even though autopia may not be a thruill ride the queues for it are ALWAYS huge.  will all these be kept and star wars run along the back behind space mountain?

jimtrim

I think keeping at the back of Discoveryland would be the best thing, but whether this will happen is another thing!:)

I like the idea of riding Star Tours and then (assuming only kids for the moment) would be able to exit and follow onto the jedi academy, whether this be in that half empty arcade exit area (which I actually forgot about) or the existing Captain EO theatre... it would be sensible and most coherent to group it all together in a mini land of sorts. You could have the cantina where Pizza planet is and have it as another enclave off of a central sort of hub.
As suggested the exterior entrance facade can all be airship/craft themed and the tatooine desert cantina can be off to the side continuing at the back and you could even have some desert dunes in the distance beyond/above the train line.....

...of course the only other problem with all this is a train locomotive will occasionally happen to run through a star wars themed ship/craft-based area...... don't know how you'd explain that one.

This is really where Discoveryland doesn't perform in coherence as you walk around the land.

Fantasyland, Adventureland and Frontierland all have distinct architectural elements and transitions that I feel Discoveryland at least partly lacks.....
..... the only thing really connecting them is the grey tarmac, which is definitely not futuristic/technological in any way that you'd want! ???

My previous comment that a Jedi Academy would not find well in Videopolis..... well i guess Lion King didn't exactly theme with 'discovery'

I've never been fussed about the arcade section below/ back of the theatre and, unlike the frontierland shooting gallery, felt (like the quad bikes) only cheapens disney into your regular theme park etc), but what about this.......

A Wreck-It-Ralph themed games arcade with accompanying ride.....better still HOW ABOUT THIS!!...    :o

A Toy-Story Mania ride but inspired by the Wreck-It-Ralph universe.... now that would be cool.... and they wouldn't have to worry about the technology side... just the original animation would likely be a bit costly.......?  :D

Sorry DLP, we know there's not much cash, but Discoveryland land needs the update to get the park to where it needs....

samuelvictor

Its a shame that JTA would be kids only, although having looked further into what it actually entails, I can see why adults & kids at the same time wouldn't necessarily work in all circumstances!

I'd definitely be up for the idea of a Wreck-it-Ralph theme to the arcade, especially if it meant installing original or reproduction versions of some of the classic games featured in the arcade in the film  8) Also I agree that a TSMania style game would be great for theming to WiR :)

It will be a shame if they shoe-horn a Star Wars thing into an area which is functioning perfectly well and fits with its own theming. As everyone has said, expanding into EO, Pizza Planet & the arcade after Star Tours would make a whole lot more sense, and feel more themed and permanent.

jimtrim

They did have some real machines built for comic-con and studios etc. - don't know how many, in fact, someone was selling one on ebay  http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/18/got-20k-you-can-get-the-arcade-machine-from-wreck-it-ralph/

They probably had a handful made at max.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cvErIWbwZI

... how about also a Sugar-Rush inspired sum of all thrills ride.  :DThat would be pretty amazing, You could build your track and surroundings/ difficulty/ vehilcle/ world/ etc. and then ride your created track it via steering wheel in the passenger pod....

....don't know if this would be possible, as you create a roller coaster on sum of all thrills and then ride that fixed track as you would do any other rollercoaster. (as far as I'm aware?) ... ie., there's no user-input at the riding the simulator stage.

But if WDI could adapt the technology so you could also have 'vehicle' control on your created track (like any other race-car floor machine) in the simulator that would be very cool!! :o

Are there any simulators/ simulator singe pod rides that the rider has control/ manipulation over?

samuelvictor

Wow that Fix it Felix cab & game a absolutely perfectly done. I'd love to know if the computer innards are using a modern programming language or if its a newly written but literal old style rom using 80s coding techniques & hardware restraints, then emulated. But then I'm boring & geeky like that ;) Either way it'd be great if there were some way the mass public could play it (downloads for consoles or pc).

[edit] & of course if there was a machine in DLRP I would 100% put money/tokens in it!

jimtrim

I'm pretty sure it's modern gaming programming and played even through a higher-res  screen than the 80's machines.
(I think?) it's exactly the same version that you can download to play on your iphone/pad....
http://wreckitralph.wikia.com/wiki/Fix-It_Felix,_Jr._(game)
not quite sure though if it's still being offered on the app store?
I know there's also a sugar rush you can play on your iphone ;)

samuelvictor

Ah cool I've found various ways to play it online, thanks! They did a nice job of recreating the look and feel of an 80s arcade game :)

ewormas

Hi all

Just having my usual look on various sites and I noticed on pixiedust.be November merchandise update (2) there are Jedi training academy hoodies ( I think) for sale, does that mean its confirmed?

andrewuk

Here they are, looks good

and looks like adult sizes too!

July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

irishbhoy1888

I seen on ed92s Facebook page a casting call for the upcoming jedi academy .
I was suprised to find out that it opens at the start of July .
I thought it wasn't opening until the end of the year  so naturally i am delighted it's opening July because ill be there mid July  :)
My question is does anybody know how your child can enroll for this academy ?
I know the parks will be packed and only a handful of kids will actually be able to participate in the show and my little fella is star wars nuts and won't be happy if he doesn't get to fight darth  :)
In lookin forward to this new show myself and if it's anything like the one in the States it will be a massive success .
Anyone with anymore info on this or star wars land in general please post here .
Thanks .

grovesie

At WDW. you and your children ( the ones taking part) have to register first thing in the morning at a certain building. It's first come first serve and you choose a time from the list available. My kids were lucky we went to the meeting point and were allowed to join in as 2 people never turned up, This was the last evening of our trip and a great way to finish

I presume that DLP will adopt the same process

A&S&O

Quote from: irishbhoy1888 on April 16, 2015, 01:28:35 PM
I seen on ed92s Facebook page a casting call for the upcoming jedi academy .
I was suprised to find out that it opens at the start of July .
I thought it wasn't opening until the end of the year  so naturally i am delighted it's opening July because ill be there mid July  :)

I haven't seen the ad, but maybe they are recruiting early to train the cast in time for opening later in the year?
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?