First Time

Started by BoristheSpider, September 12, 2013, 01:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoristheSpider

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to visit Disneyland Paris for the first time next year. In fact it will be my first holiday outside of the UK as an adult - I've just this week sent off for my first passport!

I'm sure these questions have all been asked before, so I apologise in advance.

What disney hotels do you recommend? Or is it a better idea to stay elsewhere & travel to the park?

As I am travelling from the UK would you advise the eurostar or flight?

Are the best deals directly through the disney website or travel agents elsewhere? Also, is there an ideal amount of months in advance to book for the best deals?

What time of year is your favourite time to visit?  I am currently thinking Halloween 2014 as one of my favourite films has always been The Nightmare Before Christmas. Is it worth going for Halloween or is it better to visit in summer?

I am 25 & will be going with my boyfriend (no children) so is Halloween more for children? I'm aware that the whole place is mainly for children, but I have always wanted to go so I can't let my age stop me now!

I welcome any other advice :-)

Thanks & sorry if this is in the wrong section xx

never2old

I can't help you with everything because I live in Luxembourg and we normally just drive down to Paris (3 hours  :) ) but I'll do what I can.

First, and foremost, don't think DLP is mostly for children. It's for everyone. My husband and I have been going together for many years, before we had our daughter. True there are some rides that are aimed more for little ones, but there are plenty of them for the adults  :) And you'll see there are plenty of people there without children!  And don't forget that we're all really children at heart, and DLP is a great place to forget about the real world and just have pure, simple fun!!

Halloween is a great time to go, and if you like Nightmare before Christmas it's perfect because you can meet Jack and Sally. I would personally always choose Halloween over the Summer, for one there are less people around (and of course if you can avoid going during the school holidays, it will be much better), but the decorations and the atmosphere is excellent.

As for the hotels, it depends on one thing: your budget. Personally I would say that staying onsite in a Disney hotel is better, particularly for a first trip, but you can get a much better price staying in one of their partner hotels, for example. If you have a decent budget you can try the Sequoia Lodge, or even the Hotel New York (if budget is no issue, the Disneyland Hotel is the best, but it's ridiculously expensive). The main advantage of the Disney hotels is that you're always walking distance from the parks, and you get the Extra Magic Hours in the morning (where you can go into the park 2 hours before it opens to the public and go on some of the best rides).

Hope this helped a little!

stitch147

Dont let age stop you. Im 37 and this year will be my 21st visit to Disneyland Paris. I dont have kids so I always go child free and the beauty of that is you can go out of school holiday time when its a bit cheaper!
I would definately suggest using the Eurostar as its easier, if you are on the direct train you can leave your luggage at the station and go straight into the park, then just collect your luggage from your hotels left luggage room. There is only one direct train a day though, so you do need to try and book early. However the train times and bookings are usually only available 6 months in advance. I always book through a travel agent (most will have to book through disney anyway, I just find it easier)
If you can stay at a disney hotel its a good thing as you a right near everything, including disney village for all the evening entertainment.
Halloween is a good time to visit but so is any other time of the year!
Hope this helps. X

glenn

As others have said disneyland paris is for all ages,i,m 64 and have been going since 1994.
My favorite time is anytime apart from summer,went once but it was too hot,so spent most of the time in the bars,which wasn,t a bad thing rearly .

Being your first visit a disney hotel does make the trip a bit more special.
As for booking try the walt disney travel company,i,ve just booked with them and with eurostar and hotel it was a lot cheaper.

norhel

I would say that age dosn't matter at DLP :-)

Regarding hotel, I would say stay at a Disney hotel. Witch hotel you choose, I would say depend on your economy and what you would pay. I've stayed twice at Santa Fe and once at Sequia Lodge, and I like both.
If you want to walk to the parks, Santa Fe is a little bit longer walk though. Last time I stayed at Santa Fe I often did find it more easy to walk to the parks rather than take the bus.
And where to book, I would say check different trusted travel agents and DLP's own website and see what they can offer.
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

BoristheSpider

Thanks for all your replies.  I think we will stay in a Disney hotel then for the first visit to be close to the park & for the extra hours.
I would love to stay in the Disneyland Hotel but I think our budget for now will have to be Santa Fe or Cheyenne, does anyone have first experience of either of those ? x

bad-pink-tink

I stayed at Santa Fe September 2011. Its a Disnified Mexican theme, based on CARS movie. For a budget hotel its very good quality.  Its based on an American Motel style. Having stayed at a real American Motel in California, I would say Santa Fe is alot nicer.  The layout is very spaced out, the rooms are located in blocks. The main hotel area, reception, shop, bar and restaurant are in a separate block to the rooms. The bar and restaurant serve Mexican style food and drinks, except at breakfast which is a regular continental buffet breakfast. You can walk to the Disney village, along the river but it took me about 20 minutes and as its through a wooded area I didn't really like doing the walk alone after dark. There is a shuttle bus to the train station, entrance to the park, which is a much better way. At the entrance to Santa Fe there is a very good mini supermarket / petrol station.

When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

jax

Hi have stayed both at the santa fe and the Cheyenne,  prefer the Cheyenne and have stayed there about 10 times and it is fine,
If you can wait to book next year they usually have special offers to entice early bookings.
I have booked November this year paying for 2 nights and getting 2 nights free with passes which effectively makes it 50% off. 
Just keep checking the dlp web site put in the dates you want and keep an eye on the prices.
The sequoia is a very nice hotel and have stayed there about 5 times,  have now gone up to the Hotel New York for my 2nd stay,  very nice with bigger rooms and a hot buffet breakfast too.
Hopefully one day will make it to the Disneyland hotel.
You will find Disney an amazing place no matter where you stay,
If your budget is tight try the Cheyenne, if not try the Sequoia Lodge,  lovely open fires burning in the bar area. where you can sit and have a nice drink in the evening and soak up the atmosphere of the hotel.

hannabdav

I have never been but have booked disneyland hotel for August 2014 on the 2 nights free offer. Can't wait!!! Already planning next trip with my mum and dd aiming to stay in sequoia lodge or New York for that one as going to o in winter!xx
Very excited!

First trip to Disney for our honeymoon August 2014!!!!

BoristheSpider

Ok, so thanks to reading everyone's advice on here I have finally booked my first trip to Disneyland!

Staying at Sequoia Lodge 9th-15th Feb :-)
xxx

orangarnold

For Eurostar over flying I say it depends on where you're coming from, I'm Yorkshire based and with everything factored in flying is quicker for me than the train

BoristheSpider

I live in Staffordshire so the train to London is only about 1hr30 but think we'll stay in London the night before for less rush 

mickeyspal

I live in Scotland and prefer to go by train to DLP; I know it's more expensive as we have to schedule in 2 extra nights stay over in London, but it's a more relaxing way to travel. I've been travelling by Eurostar to Paris & DLP for nearly 10 years it's the only way I'll do it now.
I have stayed at all your hotel choices and the one you have chosen; Sequoia Lodge is definitely my favourite.
Age doesn't matter at Disney, afterall it's only a number; I'm 52 and still enjoy going, my elderly parents were last with us in 2009, both well into their 70's and still enjoyed going on Big Thunder Mountain, my father wanted to go on the "Rock n Roller Coaster" but we managed to persuade him against it, he was not pleased. So as I've said age is only a number it's how you feel inside and Disney makes you feel young.
Enjoy your trip. :D
1993 + 2005 - Hotel Cheyenne
1995 - Walt Disney World Florida
1997 - Hotel New York
1998 - Hotel Santa Fe
2000 + 2006 + 2012 + 2014 - Sequoia Lodge
2002 + 2004 +  2009 - Newport Bay
2007 + 2015 - Hong Kong Disney
2007 - DLP (1 day visit)
2017 - Disneyland Hotel - Cinderella Suite
2018 - Disney Cruise- Mediterranean
2019 - Disneyland Hotel
2020 - Disney Merrytime Cruise - Caribbean

BoristheSpider

Aww, bless your dad!

I'm super excited now :-))

idylles

I know it's expensive but I highly recommend the Disneyland hotel.  It is pure Disney magic and really worth all the money. 

I actually never recommend Eurostar, every time I travel with them it's so crowded, we have no room for our bags, etc...  I normally go by car but I guess that's not an option.  Whatever is cheaper, I guess. 

The best deals are trough the Disney site, I tried to book everything on my own through separate sites but I always get a higher price there. 

My favourite time is Christmas.  It's so magical!  Halloween is really great too, and it's definitely worth it.  However, lately, since I'm a poor student, I prefer September.  It's not that crowded, and it's cheaper. 

Disneyland is not just for children, and certainly not on Halloween.  I would even dare to say it's 60% for adults (that love Disney, of course).  So don't mind the age!  It's for everyone!
A dream is a wish your heart makes.