A Summer of Disney Dreams (TRIP VIDEO ADDED!!)

Started by DLP-Photos.com, July 12, 2012, 12:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecila

Another fantastic update! Looks like you were having a great time :) I envy your stamina for carrying a heavy camera round the parks all day long!! I couldn't face bringing mine with me all day so I only took it to the parks one night to take photos of Dreams! I'm so grateful that you did though, you really have captured some beautiful photos :) Can't wait to read on!  :thumbs:
- Davy Crockett\'s Ranch (May 2002)
- Davy Crockett\'s Ranch (Oct 2006)
- Santa Fe (June 2012) Trip report here]
//http://www.magicforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13794

DLP-Photos.com

Dreams of the Old Days - Day 4 Part 2

Finally I'm able to keep my promise about an update :)  :oops:

So after Tarzan when we normally would have opted for a small break in the hotel, we decided to simply just stay in the park - taking full advantage of this... Our last full day in the parks!

And why not start by admitting the lie I discovered I did in the day 3 Part 2 update... The situation with the british dance troup in the BTM line didn't happen until this evening. However, on thursday night we did queue up for BTM and it did break down.... It was already after 10 minutes though, and what's funny is that we now entered the BTM queue as it was back up, and we started off queueing in the exact spot as we had been on when let out on thursday evening :) Talk about continueing where we left off! A little british girl in our train was very excited to say the least - when exiting she just yelled to her mum: That was incredible!!! BEST. RIDE. EVER!

I don't know if it was her enthusiasm that was infectious or just our need to try this ride again as soon as possible, but seeing fastpasses for around 6 we took them and already had another wild ride booked :)

We decided to take our break - not in the hotel, but in The Gibson Girl. Now I have probably had an ice cream here before, but I didn't remember the interior - one of the places I haven't been that often. That much is sure! A lovely place and a deliciour Ben & Jerries ice cream I got - two scoops: 1 Mango Berry Swirl and 1 Chocolate Fudge Brownie.... Y-U-M-M-Y!

After taking good time to enjoy the atmosphere and more importantly get a little rest, we found ourselves on our way to the trip favourite Pirates of the Caribbean! We got seated in the front row and we actually got wet! :O I have only ever had very small splashes on this ride before, but this time one of my legs was quite wet and parts of my shirt too - we weren't complaining in the hot weather and with both the swinging pirate and the chain working it was yet another awesome cruise in the caribbean! But still we wanted to be seated in the last row, so we could try and recreate a certain on-ride photo from our first trip :lol:

Taking a complete classics trio here we continued to Phantom Manor before using our BTM fastpasses. When you have this view from the queue line it really doesn't get much better! I cannot wait to see Mark Twain back too, so we once again have two beautiful ships going down the River :)

Western River Line by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

This ride on Phantom Manor, however, was clearly the worst of the trip - we were stopped no less than three times during the first few scenes and the pace was almost ever changing! We agreed that we liked it when it slowed down, but it changes all the time it's just distracting!

And after another funny and this time quick FP ride on BTM it was time for dinner. Once again we tried Hakuna Matata and once again it was closed after 6! :( None of us really wanted burgers and we knew that Toad Hall would be closed too, so... yes, you guessed it.. We ended up on Col. Hathi once again - we got a seat on the terasse in the shade - very lovely viewing out over Adventure Isle in the slightly low evening sun! :)

Having had that view we of course couldn't resist taking yet another walk around Adventure Isle. The experience really is completely different between evening and afternoon - the light does so much!

Adventure Isle by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Restaurant Hakuna Matata by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

We had tried all the rides we wanted to, so now it was just a matter of hand picking the favourites and really capturing the atmosphere! However, there was one attraction we hadn't been on and that I wanted to now that we had the time: Le Pays des Contes de Fées! Now I could probably have shot some great pictures with my lens, but this time I opted for film. So once again a Fantasyland classic which you have to look forward to once I have the trip video ready! :)

Finding comfort in these big boats we were once again back in Pirates! Could we get the back row finally? Our luck had come and thanks to the CM Catharine, who had been all smiles on all days and I'm pretty sure started to recognize us, we were finally seated in the last row! Yay! First off I tried taking some photos, but it didn't really work, so you only get this:

Caribbean Door by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

The on-ride photo that we wanted to recreate was recreated, but not with the same reaction as in 2010 when the entire room of people seeing through the photos were laughing and pointing at it, even taking photos of it though they weren't in the boat. This time: nothing...  :lol: To be fair we don't find it that funny ourselves either, but wanted to see if it was just us. It was not... Here is the original from 2010:

We looked at each other... Was it enough with the one time or would we have to join him once more on the trip? Of course it is Indiana Jones we are talking about... We ended up agreeing that one time simply wasn't enough and so we went to explore the ruins of the temple of peril once again! A slightly painful, but still funny ride with good Doctor Jones himself! At least we think he was there - he had after all left his belongings in the camp nearby ;)

We continued to the second visit of the Manor on the hill - and this time it was without any stops and with a beautiful light hitting the Manor...

Western Sunset by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

... as well as the mining mountain...

Western Sunset by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

... and now it was time for the BTM story with the dance troup and the very late break down. I'll just add it again, so it is in the right place.. it had a 60 minute wait, which was kind of perfect considering our Dreams plans which didn't see us getting ready for Dreams until 10.30 or so... Everything was even better when we got just behind a group of british dancers (not very old - and I must admit I found it weird they had no adult with them)... Well they started off asking the CM at the entrance if it was ACTUALLY 60 minutes wait and when he said yes, the "leader" said in the most posh british accent "oy, he says it's actually really 60 minutes! We are not gonna make it"... The others didn't care and they got in queue. Being an anglophile with capital A I was sure I was in for a treat and I was not disappointed. From children you wouldn't get a british accent more posh than this! But it only lasted 10 minutes or so, when they suddenly decided to leave the queue. Sigh, the wait just got a bit less funny   Luckily this queue line is very charming, especially when it starts to get dark outside.. On our previous trips we had tried BTM in the dark, so with less and less light outside we were really excited, when we were literally next in line to board a train.... and then...... on went all the lights and the technical issue spiel was played. A few minutes later we were asked to leave the queue line! Talk about bad luck :)

The first time I have seen such a big part text part being repeated ;)

Well we had time to visit Discoveryland in the dark - a sight you must not miss out on! All the neon lights combined with the golden/cobber structures are really nice when it's dark. We crossed Main Street by the information board where the Guest Flow CM's always create a crossway right until the beginning of Fantillusion :) And what can I say? I wish I had had my tripod and my wide angle lens! I still managed to get a few shots though...

By placing the camera on pillars:

Orbitron - Machines Volantes by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

... or simply handheld with a steady hand:

Columbiad Cannon by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Back on Main Street we enjoyed Fantillusion quite possibly for the last time ever  :cry:  I really hope it'll return or be replaced... even with Dreams it wouldn't feel right without a nighttime parade!

Lilly's by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Disney's Fantillusion Parade by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Disney's Fantillusion Parade by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

It was also about time to get in the mindset of maybe seeing Dreams for the last time! Now I'm sure it'll continue for many years to come, but maybe not in this version... I decided to take photos with my lens  - especially to capture the projections a little better. I'm not all satisfied and to be honest I wish I had opted for just enjoying the show this last time (on this trip at least), but then again that is the burden of a photographer - sometimes your camera controls you  :lol:

Here are the photos that were taken from the same position as thursday evening - right by Casey's Corner:

Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Peter by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Hey Shadow, Come Back! by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

C'est La Fête by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Bienvenue à Paris! by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Can Your Friends Do This? by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Magic Carpet Ride by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Notre Dame by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Un Jour by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Step In Time by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

I Wanna Be Like You by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

I See the Light by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

The Second Star To the Right by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

The Second Star To the Right by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Shadow Of a Mouse by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Friends On the Other Side by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Friends On the Other Side by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Crocodile Food by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Ursula Attacks by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Maleficent Attacks by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

The Magic Is Back by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Castle On Fire by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Grand Finale by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

Grand Finale by NKA-Photo, on Flickr

And with last bang of the finale I suddenly felt an emptiness inside - what if this was really the last time I would have seen Dreams live? A tear or two left my eye walking down Main Street U.S.A - this trip had just simply been perfect! I took one last gaze on the castle with all the lights on down Main Street and ignored the lump in my throat. Luckily we still had a good 7 hours on saturday and this evening wasn't all over yet either.

We were tired, but still had to do a little shopping in World of Disney, before finishing off in Starbucks enjoying a coffee and Refresha (for me):

We were so late out of Disney Village that we were asked for Hotel Easy Passes to be let out of the security check by HNY! And we were so late that the sprinklers on the grass in front of Cheyenne went on, when we walked by! But we had no time to dwell on this and no time to be too sad by this being the last night. Breakfast would be ready at 7 and it was already 1 am :P

Once again thanks for reading :)
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

Pete's Dragon

The colours on this photo seem very flat, almost pastel. And I mean that in a good way. Did you use a filter for this? I really love how it turned out

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"The colours on this photo seem very flat, almost pastel. And I mean that in a good way. Did you use a filter for this? I really love how it turned out

No filters used and actually that is how it came out of the camera. I think it's because I only used iso200 - usually taking handheld night shots you'd have use a bigger iso making the light brighter and eventually more burned out. Here I succeeded in holding the camera steady with a shutter time of 1/13s. That is the best explanation I can give :)
/Nicolai

Pete's Dragon

1/13 ! Wow you have really steady hands. If I ever need a bomb defused I'll know who to call  8)

Can't wait now until Wednesday. I've never been during the summer, so I've never had a chance to take night time photos. So many settings to experiment with, and so little time

Eveline

Once again - thank you for posting your wonderful report  & photos. I have never seen photos that capture every beautiful detail  so well. Can't wait for the final installment of this trip.

I will be thinking of you when I have my freshly squeezed  orange juice at breakfast in Hotel New York in October!

Thanks for keeping me going until then!

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"1/13 ! Wow you have really steady hands. If I ever need a bomb defused I'll know who to call  8)

Can't wait now until Wednesday. I've never been during the summer, so I've never had a chance to take night time photos. So many settings to experiment with, and so little time

Hahaha - I think it only works with the camera! :D

I hope you have an awesome time and I cannot wait to read the report I hope you'll be doing! Regarding the photos it's really just a matter of trying - the perfect night time settings is so different from camera to camera. The two most important things would be to know how high an iso number you can use before the photos get to much noise and to use something stabilizing whenever it is possible (and set the iso as low as possible when doing this) :)

Quote from: "Eveline"Once again - thank you for posting your wonderful report  & photos. I have never seen photos that capture every beautiful detail  so well. Can't wait for the final installment of this trip.

I will be thinking of you when I have my freshly squeezed  orange juice at breakfast in Hotel New York in October!

Thanks for keeping me going until then!

Thank you very much!

And not a day goes by wihtout me thinking of that orange juice :)

Aw, well luckily there is still quite a lot to come! One more photo update and then the trip video for which I have over an hour of video to edit :)
/Nicolai

never2old

I too think of that juice every morning!! :D

Beautiful shots,  I love the light in the evening shots!  PM looks great!!

And the Dreams ones are excellent, of course. You definitely have very steady hands!! Was that by Casey's then? You seem to have a great view from there!!

Thank you for another magical update!

ed-uk

I just have to say it again, wonderful pictures of Dreams. :thumbs:
Ed & David

norhel

Just wanted to say that you got really great photos of Dreams! Makes me almost feel that I'm there.
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

Aurora1

A toast to you and your pictuers and the report!! =D> (I`ll do it in octobre with that glass of orangejuice in HNY ;) (sorry couldn`t resist :oops: )
Honestly, an absolutly great report and wonderful picture!! From this part I liked the Dreams pictures and the one with the boat under the tree in the river. Just beautiful!

where by Casey`s Corner were you standing?

Thanks again.
Aurora1

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "never2old"I too think of that juice every morning!! :D

Beautiful shots,  I love the light in the evening shots!  PM looks great!!

And the Dreams ones are excellent, of course. You definitely have very steady hands!! Was that by Casey's then? You seem to have a great view from there!!

Thank you for another magical update!

Thanks again - the sunset was particular nice on this evening. I regret nok taking more photos in it!

Yeah by Casey's - I must say the view is very dependant on the people in front of you and your own height!! I saw many people who couldn't really see anything...

Quote from: "ed-uk"I just have to say it again, wonderful pictures of Dreams. :thumbs:

Thank you!

Quote from: "norhel"Just wanted to say that you got really great photos of Dreams! Makes me almost feel that I'm there.

Thanks - that's what I'm looking for with these reports! :)

Quote from: "Aurora1"A toast to you and your pictuers and the report!! =D> (I`ll do it in octobre with that glass of orangejuice in HNY ;) (sorry couldn`t resist :oops: )
Honestly, an absolutly great report and wonderful picture!! From this part I liked the Dreams pictures and the one with the boat under the tree in the river. Just beautiful!

where by Casey`s Corner were you standing?

Thanks again.
Aurora1

Haha hey! People are getting too happy about teasing me with that juice! :lol:

I was standing in the middle Main Street U.S.A just between Casey's and Gibson Girl :D
/Nicolai

Rafael

Thanks for sharing this amazing trip report. Your pictures are awesome.  :)

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "Rafael"Thanks for sharing this amazing trip report. Your pictures are awesome.  :)

Thank you very much, Rafael!

I can say that the last update will be online tomorrow evening (hopefully :lol:)
/Nicolai

mickeymouse

Quote from: "forza_united"I can say that the last update will be online tomorrow evening (hopefully :lol:)
:thumbs:  Can't wait !
2008 Santa Fe
2012 Cheyenne