La Cantina at the Santa Fe

Started by aklyja, September 14, 2011, 05:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aklyja

Hi all

We're staying at the Santa Fe in late November and to maximise the time we spent on in the parks on the first day we had planned to eat at the hotel.  I love the style of food they offer so all you can eat fajitas sounds like heaven to me!  But I've read some bad reviews of the restaurant and this, combined with the legendary fussiness of my sister who's coming with us, is causing me to re think the plan.  Wondering if we might be safer going for somewhere like Annettes or Cafe Mickey.

Elaine

We have frequently used La Cantina for dinner on our first evening if staying at the Santa Fe. I personally have always found there to be lots of choice - and more importantly, my kind of fussy daughter has too. As well as the fajitas, there is usually a stew of some description, carvery meat, lasagne, pastas, pizza, and the usual breaded chicken/fish, chips, etc for the kids.

Elaine

big disney kid

could not agree more with elaine we have used la cantina loads of times and never had a bad meal in it loads of choices for even the most fussy person

samuelvictor

La Cantina is great, good selection of things, good quality food (just don't expect it to be up to an expensive gourmet style restaurant!)
However you mentioned Annette's - I also can't recommend there enough if you like their menu ;) A little pricier, though the set adult and kids meals are a good deal.

kiki_304

We have eaten loads there as my family are vegetarians and this place was great.

I have tried the restaurants when we stayed at the Cheyenne and SL but didn't like the food or level of service. And we just returned to SF as my boys preferred to eat there and felt comfortable with the food and atmosphere.
 Cheyenne was ok, but not that good for veggies. lol   An SL food was cold, staff had a couldn't be bothered attitude and they thought it was ok to have flies all over the food!!!!

aklyja

That's brillant, thank you!

bethella

We are planning to eat at La Cantina on our arrival day, we are not sure what time we are going to arrive but i think around 7/8pm can we just turn up or would i have to reserve a table? although its hard to reserve as i dont know what time we will arrive.  Our flight lands in CDG at 5.35pm. Anyone know how long bag collection and VEA takes to santa fe??
2003 Santa Fe
2005 Walt disney florida
2011 October Santa Fe

kiki_304

Quote from: "bethella"We are planning to eat at La Cantina on our arrival day, we are not sure what time we are going to arrive but i think around 7/8pm can we just turn up or would i have to reserve a table? although its hard to reserve as i dont know what time we will arrive.  Our flight lands in CDG at 5.35pm. Anyone know how long bag collection and VEA takes to santa fe??
You should be okay to just turn up, we have never reserved for la cantina.

rbgranty

Hi,

Rather than start a new topic I thought I'd hijack this thread a little. Apologies to the OP!

Im staying in the Santa Fe between the 19th and 21st of December. I've read that breakfast can be a bit hectic there and was wondering what view's people had? I last visited about 10 years ago so can't remember much! What time does it open and when is the best time to get there? And how is the food - im expecting a continental breakfast but was wondering what the quality was like.

If anyone has any further hints or tips please feel free to pass them on! Really looking forward to getting there and am already far too excited!

Many thanks,

RBG
[size=85]Newport Bay Club - July 1995
Sequoia Lodge - Dec 2001
Santa Fe - Dec 2007
Sequoia Lodge - Dec  2011
[/size]

number6

Not sure what time it opens, but the general feeling seems to be that the best time to visit for breakfast is around 7am.  It gets busier as it gets later, and can be a bit hectic.  You have to find your own table, which can be game for a laugh sometimes, and if you're like me you'll end up with a wobbly one, and there are plenty of them!  The food on offer is pretty basic but plentiful and tasty - Croissants, Pains au Chocolat, plain bread rolls, butter, jams, Nutella, yoghurt, various cereals, fruit salad (like you get in a tin here!), cheese cubes, meat slices, and even a machine to make your own toast if memory serves.  There is enough of a choice to suit most people, and in the eating areas are drinks machines that dispense endless supplies of coffee, fruit juice and milk.
Overall good value for money, I think.

Elaine

If I'm staying at the Santa Fe, I either go for breakfast before 7.30am, or I don't bother (and I only go for breakfast that early if I can't get breakfast in the park instead). Any time after 7.45am ish and you'll be queueing to get in - not the way I want to start my Disney day lol!

Elaine

samuelvictor

110% get there at five to 7 ready for when it opens. There will be no que, and a full selection of loads of untouched, neatly arranged food. By 7:30 to 8am there will be ques and chaos, and certain types of cereal, juice etc will be running out!

Plus, you're paying for your extra magic hours - you should get up that little bit early, enjoy a leisurely breakfast, then get in the park as soon as it opens! ;)

In other recent threads here (try page 2) I and others have posted exactly what is available for breakfast, its a decent selection, just nothing cooked.

Another tip that's been covered several times but worth repeating is that if you go to the entrance of the Santa Fe and walk across the carpark there is a petrol garage there with a "Tiger Market" shop. You can get snacks there for a small fraction of what the same stuff cost in the parks, and it's open 24hours for window service or around 8am-10pm for browsing.

rbgranty

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I know this is a little off topic. We are driving to the park and were planning to stay at a cheap hotel just outside of Paris the night before, so that we can get to the park fairly early on the first day. I know the rooms aren't available until 3pm, but if we were to turn up before then would we be able to check in and collect our park tickets so we can make the most of the first day? I've got contradicting information from family and websites so was hoping for a bit of clarification!

Thanks again!
[size=85]Newport Bay Club - July 1995
Sequoia Lodge - Dec 2001
Santa Fe - Dec 2007
Sequoia Lodge - Dec  2011
[/size]

big disney kid

yes you can check in and get your tickets and leave your luggage and pick it up later on if in any doubt give disney a call and they will clarify it for you ok

Elaine

Quote from: "rbgranty"Thanks for the advice everyone.

I know this is a little off topic. We are driving to the park and were planning to stay at a cheap hotel just outside of Paris the night before, so that we can get to the park fairly early on the first day. I know the rooms aren't available until 3pm, but if we were to turn up before then would we be able to check in and collect our park tickets so we can make the most of the first day? I've got contradicting information from family and websites so was hoping for a bit of clarification!

Thanks again!

yes you can definitely do this - I've checked in at the Santa Fe before 8am before, dropped our luggage off, got our park tickets, and been in the park for EMH that morning  :D .

Elaine