"The Carsland Conundrum" - article

Started by Anthony, December 18, 2011, 04:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ed-uk

i don't know if they could add anything to Carsland or not. But they could always add to DCA, carsland is only one  part of the experience. World of Colour, a fantastic show full of Disney film characters.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "DutchBrit"You see, this to me is like someone calling themselves a fan of Legoland, going on countless trips to Legoland and yet going on a Legoland forum and saying "You know what ruins it for me? All those pesky plastic brickie things! I hate them!". I bet when Legoland build a new attraction, their fan sites are not full of people complaining that yet AGAIN, those stupid bricks are the chosen theming, and bewailing the lack of imagination and out of the box thinking.....

There is a huge difference. In Legoland, opening day in the park in Denmark in the 1960's, it was all about showcasing the bricks and what could be done with them.

Disneyland was not about showasing Disney movies. Go back and read the dedication speech and my Walt quotes earlier in this thread. Disneyland is not all about Disneyland. It is about:

"To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."

Not go fill your boots with a bunch of rubber head BS.
since 2001 (many before that)

davewasbaloo

Legoland is like Toys r Us, and Disney used to be like Harrods. Sadly DL is now becoming a little more Mothercare.

DutchBrit

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Disneyland was not about showasing Disney movies.

"Was not": perhaps. 60-ish l...o...o...ng years ago. In a different time, in a different market (and they are quotations, you know, not holy writ.)

What was does not mean that it must be so forever more. No company works like that.

davewasbaloo

Well for the first 35 years it wasn't either. It is really since Iger came on board the place has gone to pot. The whole damn company. What they are producing these days are rubbish.

davewasbaloo

Things can and should change, but the ethos should remain the same.

davewasbaloo

Tooning the place is creeatively lazy,  and the fans of that shit are too

ed-uk

I've read Walts opening address. But it didn't stop him building Peter Pans flight, and the Tree House based on his film The Swiss Family Robinson. So although he didn't mention toons and films in his address, he did use them in his park and TWDC have built on that. Walt Disney had as much to do with animation and cartoon films as he did with theme parks, his reputation was built on films. Disney made his address in 1955, he died in 1966, that can't mean a CEO or Imagineer in 2011 should never deviate from anything he said.
Ed & David

NanookJackal

QuoteWell for the first 35 years it wasn't either. It is really since Iger came on board the place has gone to pot. The whole damn company. What they are producing these days are rubbish.

I argee with you, as much as i don´t like Eisner but this guy did get it at his beginning in the company, he did let the imagineers work how they´re supposed to be. Look at Animal Kingdom, Tokyo Disney Sea, Disneyland Paris and some added Attractions to every other Disney Park, unique rides, with great theming and good storytelling. Even on the Opening of EuroDisneyland he quoted Walt Disney.

Iger on the other Hand, has nothing more to do as to put in as much franchize as possible, stopped the imagineers for dreaming and creating great rides and storys. The best Imagineers retired from Imagineers just because they don´t wanna produce rubbish and non creative stuff. The Imagineers we have nor are Igers infantry and do what he says...
But one positive thing we have with Iger, he spends Money and he knows when he has to step down and end his CEO job at Disney, and it will be in just 4-5 years..!

QuoteI've read Walts opening address. But it didn't stop him building Peter Pans flight, and the Tree House based on his film The Swiss Family Robinson. So although he didn't mention toons and films in his address, he did use them in his park and TWDC have built on that. Walt Disney had as much to do with animation and cartoon films as he did with theme parks, his reputation was built on films.

Wow great you come up with 2 semples of Rides who are based on Films Walt put into his Disneyland...
What is with the Monorail (non film based), Pirates of the Caribbean (non film based), Haunted Mansion (also non film based), The Matterhorn (same here non film based) and a few more, who Dave can tell you about. It is okay if Disney is using they´re movies vor rides, but it should not be only this way. And if somebody will tell me nothing else works at this time has to proof it. Because as i remember TSPL did not pull in any more visitors as TOT did!!!!!!

ed-uk

TOT is based upon a television  show, the Twilight Zone, Carsland is based upon a film, Pirates was not. I don't think the theme parks have gone to pot. So what if a ride is based on a film, it doesn't mean to say no creativity went into it. Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones, Star Tours, Dumbo and the Flying Elephants, they come from films just like Snow White, Peter Pan and the Tree House. Anybody would think that Cars was a flop film and people had stopped going to Disney theme parks. And TSPL hasn't stopped people going to DLP, 15.6 0000 people went last year, thats up 600.000 on the year before so it hasn't put people off. I think what is clear is that Disney and Pixar want to work closer together in the theme parks and create greater synergy between them. And when we consider the huge sums of money involved, a billion dollars being spent on DCA, it's not surprising if they want to use a popular franchise.
Ed & David

Josh

Quote from: "DutchBrit"
Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Disneyland was not about showasing Disney movies.

"Was not": perhaps. 60-ish l...o...o...ng years ago. In a different time, in a different market (and they are quotations, you know, not holy writ.)

What was does not mean that it must be so forever more. No company works like that.
But this isn't an issue of genres. It's true that different markets appreciated different genres, hence the lack of Western films these days. However, whether a ride is based on a franchise or an original story is irrelevant. It's like saying, "No one likes buying green coloured cars any more, so I better stop making cars out of metal," which obviously makes no sense.

Think about Mystic Manor at Hong Kong Disneyland. Are you less interested in it because it's not based on a franchise? Same goes for Buena Vista Street in DCA.

Listen: no one in this debate is saying that all rides should not be based on a franchise. We're saying that there needs to be a balance. But that balance was lost in the last decade.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

ed-uk

But Mystic Manor and Buena Vista Street proove that Disney isn't all about franchises today. CarsLand is based on a franchise Buena Vista Street is not, so both can live together in the same theme park and be enjoyable, I think.
Ed & David

DopeyDad

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Tooning the place is creeatively lazy,  and the fans of that sh*t are too

oh behave, you make a good point then you diminish it by insulting fans who don't share your views, that's lazy.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "DopeyDad"
Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Tooning the place is creeatively lazy,  and the fans of that sh*t are too

oh behave, you make a good point then you diminish it by insulting fans who don't share your views, that's lazy.

Good call pulling me up on this one. Sorry folks, it has been a bad couple of days with lawyers and politicians, I suppose I ran out of articulate debate in an issue that frustrates me greatly and therefore went to a base level. However I still assert that franchise based attractions are creatively lazy.

NanookJackal

QuoteBut Mystic Manor and Buena Vista Street proove that Disney isn't all about franchises today. CarsLand is based on a franchise Buena Vista Street is not, so both can live together in the same theme park and be enjoyable, I think.

Haha nice u bring this one up... Mystic Manor got Toonyfied, Henry Mystic and his Ape are not looking as it was showcased in 2009, no they changed it to a Toony looking ape like Henry Mystic does now too... Just look at the new drawings and models.

As Meph said already, there can be franchize filled Attractions, i don´t have a problem with that, my problem is just that in the last few years it got too much of it, and less original stories... The Balance at the moment is not right anymore...

There is one Story in the disney parks, about the S.E.A. Society of Explorers and Adventurers that story could work better and in a greater way than just TOT at TDS or MM at HKDL... They have great ideas just not pulled out on the full potential and this just because they think to build rides on film franchizes... As said allready am not complete against it, just not every new ride should based on franchizes...