20th | Meet Mickey Mouse — Now Open!

Started by Donald-Duck-Malta, July 27, 2011, 12:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

15MagicalYears

I have a funny feeling that the temporary version is also designed/set-up by imagineers rather than the entertainment department - purely just from that one photo. The temporary version is looking really good though!

dagobert

Quote from: "15MagicalYears"I have a funny feeling that the temporary version is also designed/set-up by imagineers rather than the entertainment department - purely just from that one photo. The temporary version is looking really good though!

I thought the same about the sign. It looks really good and you wouldn't think it's temporary.

Regarding the new Meet Micky sign, I have to say it looks a bit out of place after looking at some pictures of Fantasyland. Don't get me wrong the sign looks nice, but no attraction in Fantasyland has an electrical sign. In my opinion it would have been better to use a sign that's illuminated from above, from the front or from the sides.

ed-uk

@ Anthony
How dumb do I think the French are, I don't. After all on the signs they do call it Disneyland Parc, and as it's Disneyland in France Rencontre Avec Mickey on a sign didn't seem unreasonable to me. They can't just banish the French language altogether because it's not English enough. My French isn't very good so I wouldn't know what Rencontre Avec ment... I'm looking forward to the day I can take a ride on Phantom Manor and listen to the ghost host speaking in English and not French, I think it would fit in better with the Frontierland theme.
Ed & David

Auroura86

Having seen that photo of the temporary one, I think it looks much better with just English. And despite earlier concerns, I think my son would love this. I still hope they manage to catch up, but this one still looks brilliant
Where me keys? Where me phone?

ed-uk

And shouldn't the sign above the Agrabah Cafe Restaurant be written in Arabic if it's to fit the theme.
Ed & David

MissDisneyisMagical

I really like the temporary sign at frontier land I think I actually prefer it to the real sign at the moment. It's great to see the thought being put into temporary signs!
<center><embed src="http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/show.swf?message=Kirsty&font=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/fonts/plainn_lib.swf&glitter=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/glitters/glitter78.swf&clickURL=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/&type=0&clickLABEL=Glitter Text Maker&flashLABEL=Satisfaction.com&bevel=0&shadow=1&glow=1&blur=0&fade=0&blink=0&gb=2&ga=0.6&gi=0&gc=16210663&bb=2&bc=0&sb=7&sa=0.7&si=0&sc=0&blb=7&ls=0&fontsize=60&num=78" quality="best" wmode="

ed-uk

I wonder what language Mickey will speak in, if he does speak, I assume it'll be in French and English,  he normally only speaks in French, but I'll be able to read the sign above the door I know that.
Ed & David

Anthony

Quote from: "ed-uk"My French isn't very good so I wouldn't know what Rencontre Avec ment...
But you'd know there's a new Mickey Mouse meet 'n' greet advertised and arrive in Fantasyland to see the giant "Mickey Mouse" letters there. It's pretty obvious. If extra information needs to be translated to confirm to guests that it's a meet 'n' greet or a "rencontre", it should be on a smaller sign like this, which less blatantly breaks the setting.

Arabic obviously wouldn't be used because it's no use to anyone in the park (but perhaps a tiny minority). In that case, they chose French and it seems an acceptable compromise for the Middle East.

ed-uk

When to use English and when not to. Blanche Neige et les Sept Nains is a German Story, so shouldn't the sign above the door be in German? I think Disney compromise on language and as an English speaker I've never had any problems. Minnie Mouse speaks in English, Mickey Mouse speaks in French. If I go on Phantom Manor I can read the sign, but I can't understand much of what is being said on the ride, and it's in Frontierland which is in America so it should be in English therefore.
Ed & David

Anthony

Quote from: "ed-uk"When to use English and when not to. Blanche Neige et les Sept Nains is a German Story, so shouldn't the sign above the door be in German? I think Disney compromise on language and as an English speaker I've never had any problems.
Exactly, it's a compromise. But it seems always only between French and English (except perhaps La Bottega di Gepetto and Pizzeria Bella Notte). Blanche Neige is nearer the French part of Fantasyland so it feels more appropriate. Other visitors might be confused, but there's no subtitle because it'd clutter up the exterior. An English-themed area is precisely the place where every main marquee should be in English. They never needed a "Manger du Fish 'n Chips" under the Toad Hall signage or "voler avec Peter Pan" under the Peter Pan's Flight logo.

But besides that pedantry, the letters just look cheap and poorly placed. Even if it said something in English, I'd still say they should remove it and let the illuminated letters speak for themselves.

dagobert

I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but according to D23 Mickey Mouse will talk:

Mickey Mouse is dressed to impress—and talk!—in his new Meet Mickey Mouse character greeting location.

http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2012/03/d ... 23_FanFare

ed-uk

What language will he be talking in though, French and English or just French?
Ed & David

15MagicalYears

I honestly think this is just a misunderstanding from the writer of that article, surely it's highly unlikely we'll receive talking Mickey? The amount of languages he'd have to speak would be enough alone to suggest this isn't true.

ed-uk

I think in America he talks? But in Europe it's a bigger problem because of the amount of languages as you say. But if he does talk it'll be in French and maybe English, I assume.
Ed & David

Little mermaid 240

Hi when we meet Mickey and Minnie in 2009, they both talked in hugs and pointing as my 14 year old daughter had a Mickey t- shirt on and he let her know that he liked it.

Doesn't a hug and a wave say the same thing in whatever language :thumbs: x
Little Mermaid x