The Future of Disneyland Paris

Started by dagobert, June 09, 2011, 03:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Updating POTC with the movie characters shouldn't be a priority. I wouldn't mind if the characters would not come to Paris, but I'm also not against them. I just think that there are more important things to do at DLRP than adding Jack.

I would be very happy if Disney would update the sound and the special effects of PM and POTC. We have experienced the Haunted Mansion at WDW after Disney upgraded the ride. The effects and the sound were fantastic and that's what should happen in Paris as well.

peter

Just wondering, how much is the fantasyland expansion at wdw being done for?

davewasbaloo

That is a good question Peter, I am not sure. I know they were still haggling the budget at New Year, but not sure now.
since 2001 (many before that)

gldc

To be honest I agree that PM needs to be upgraded. I don't know if it's an inherent fault in the omnimover system but I found it very destracting when rotating that the omnimovers would constantly keep shaking back and forth when turning.

But at the end of the day would an updated PM bring any new visitors in? Probably not. L mermaid would. Star Tours 3D would too probably. For PM to bring new visitors it would have to be a total upgrade and a complete new ride like Star Tours would provide a complete (54) new ride(s).

A jungle cruise, now that would be exciting! They could even have separate boats with english and french jokes. Though I don't think we'd have the same excited skippers like they do in WDW to be honest.
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

Josh

I don't think we'd have enough room for a Jungle Cruise, anyway. Most of it is taken up by the caves, instead. :) I don't think it would work in Paris, because of the rain. I know the boats are sheltered, but it's still outside, so it might not be as nice in the Winter.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

DGRavenswood

I don't think it's a problem of space, actually. There have been plans to build a Jungle Cruise in Paris. Climate issues, maybe... but I think that's secondary. The two biggest problems IMO are those cited by gldc: language issues (which could probably be worked around) and perhaps a lack of showmanship in the average DLP cast member. At the same time, I have seen a few great and funny skippers on the keelboats when they were open -- and those had the added difficulty of actually steering their boats... so who knows, with proper casting it might even work!
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

dagobert

We have done the Jungle Cruise at WDW twice. The first it was okay, because the skipper was really good, but the second time it was bad. To be honest I don't want to see that attraction in Paris. Disney has created many better attraction. In my opinion it isn't that good. The construction would be expensive and for that money there are definately better choices.

DGRavenswood

I've been on the Jungle Cruise in Tokyo, Florida and California... the quality of the skippers varied, but even in TDL where I didn't understand a word I enjoyed the attraction as an immersive scenic ride that takes you to tropical jungle rivers in the early-to-mid 20th century. To me personally, that makes it a quintessential Disney attraction. Of course it depends on what you expect...
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

dagobert

Don't get me wrong, it is a wonderful attraction, especially the scenery. I just think there are better rides for Paris, since, like you' also mentioned, the weather and the languages will be a problem. I would be happy to see it in Paris, but if Disney wants to build a ride in Adventureland it should be the Indiana Jones Adventure. Firstly it would be indoor and secondly you don't need CMs as skippersto entertain the guests.

gldc

Indiana Jones Adventure too would be a brilliant idea, though as always it's money stopping them from building it. It looks like a very elaborate attraction to the point that I think it would be Disneyland Park's most elaborate if built. I'd take it over the Indiana Jones coaster any day. I absolutely loved the coasters at DLP and love them in general but IJ is just too small and short, the loop is very tight and it is in my opinion the worst themed of the coasters, I even think that Crush is very well themed inside compare to IJ and much more fun.
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

JoefromSingapore

I have to admit, although (naturally) I am a huge Disney Ride fan and I love the classics, I never understood why Jungle Cruise is considered to be so good, I found the animatronics to be pretty lame and the script to be rather painful.

What I am really disappointed in is Disneyland Paris not getting a Star Tours upgrade, that movie is so old and film effects have come on such a long way. We really missed out on something fantastic there.
That weird host on Dedicated to Disneyland Paris PODCAST!

Riebi

I must say, I really like Front Lot as an entrance to a studio park. It´s  gorgeous and stunning and it´s like they built the big studio entrances in the 20s/30s/40s. Take the great paramount studio gate (1917 I know). A studio entrance with a big arch, and soundstages in the background is the best theme you can have for a studio entrance. And the whole area looks like they spent much time to keep it as perfect as possible.

What I don´t like is the inside of studio 1. After this great entrance you will be disapointed by this not very detailed decorations. I like the idea of a nightime/sunset theme but I think they haven´t done it very well. For me you can clearly see that it´s just a fake set at every angle and every moment. I also like the idea that you see at some point that everything in the movie business is a backdrop but I don´t need to know it at every moment.

For me studio 1 should be a crossover or a kind of gate where you go from the studio to the real hollywood (on the other side of studio 1). But to get this they mus redesign the interior of the studio. It must look more real on the fronts of the facades.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

DGRavenswood

True, I agree that a better solution would be to treat Studio 1 like a classic Disney dark ride, keeping up the illusion throughout -- and then giving the option at the very end to look behind the scenes. It could spark interest in the craft behind movie/theme park magic without reminding guests at every turn that it's a (faux) set.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

davewasbaloo

Everyone who critiques Studio 1, please watch Singing in the Rain, then you will truly see the inspiration behind it.
since 2001 (many before that)

SM:M3

Remember up until almost opening day Studio 1 was called "Lights, Camera, Hollywood!", named after the fictional film being shot in the Studio, hence why there's things like production stamps on the back of the sets. In fact it probably has one of the most detailed stories of any theme park entrance world wide.