Splash Mountain

Started by Owain, October 30, 2006, 05:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parkfisch

The Silverstar Roller Coaster at "Europa Park" in Germany is about 70 meters tall. Due to the fact it's a family park, the coaster has got many trim breaks, so that also children or people who could feel frightened when they feel like leaving the train (airtime), can ride it. But as I wrote: It's very tall and these breaks are no reason for such people to go on it. And that would be reality for Splash Mountain in Paris too: Even if there are the best technical systems to avoy wet guests or anything else. People who want to  ride the new attraction (commercials on TV) would say "Well, even when it's open around the year, we should travel in a warmer period."

BTW: The picture above is from Tokyo's Splash Mountain. Just look at the direction the boat is going. It's a mirrored version of the ride in Florida.

Kristof

Quote"Well, even when it's open around the year, we should travel in a warmer period."

That was my point in this or in the TWDC topic, attracting more guests during warmer periods.  Past years attendance was dropping during summer seasons and rising during cold months like Halloween and Christmas.  Give people a reason to come DLRP during a hot summer day!  Wishes ain't one.

experiment627

Quote from: "raptor1982"
Quote"Well, even when it's open around the year, we should travel in a warmer period."

That was my point in this or in the TWDC topic, attracting more guests during warmer periods.  Past years attendance was dropping during summer seasons and rising during cold months like Halloween and Christmas.  Give people a reason to come DLRP during a hot summer day!  Wishes ain't one.

True - though one also has to consider that any new ride shouldn't just attract guests, it should also increase overall capacity... And more capacity is definitely needed during those very busy Halloween and Christmas Season weekends and school holidays...

The Butlin Boy

Right now, I want a jungle Book Splash Mountain in Adventureland :) . Imagine, you get into your log at King Louie's destroyed temple, then you gently float into the first scene with Bagheera and baby Mowgli, then you see Bagheera and grown up Mowgli, followed by a scene with Kaa who tries to hypnotize Mowgli and the unsuspecting guests, then you pass the marching Elephants. In the next scene, you meet Baloo who is singing the "Bare Necessities" with mowgli, you then float along with Baloo and Mowgli in the famous scene from the film (below).

You then float into King Louie's temple, alive with the dancing and rhythm of "I wanna be like you ", with tons of swinging and dancing monkeys everywhere, Baloo and King Louie dancing in the middle and Mowgli and Bagheera joining in as well. You then pass a short scene with Baloo and Bagheera calling for Mowgli who has just run away, followed by the singing vultures. As you start to go up the lift hill to the drop, on your left you can see Baloo grabbing Shere Kahn's tail as he tries to attack Mowgli who is holding a flaming stick at him, and on your right you have the 4 vultures giving their commentary on the action and warning the guests of what's to come. Then you plummet down the drop and go past the final scene with Mowgli going to the man village and Baloo and Bagheera sining away into the distance.

The exterior would be pretty much the same but altered slightly to fit in with the adventureland area, to make it look better than the other versions ( :wink: ) and to make it fit in with the Jungle Book theme (perhaps some ruins from the temple could influence this).

That's just my opinion though :wink:

-breeno-

Love the idea Bultin Boy :D
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Owain

Heres the photo plans again from  Disneytheque;

This is the plan on top of a google earth image of the Splash Mountain area

This is the plan blended in to the google earth image of the Splash Mountain area

From;//http://www.disneytheque.com

Soap

Wow butlin Boy....that would be a really good theme  :shock:
Not sure if this totally fits into the total area theming, but the idea is really lovely!!
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

lil-shawn

Hey, so first i have to say that the idea from butlin boy is okay.

now to the photo plans, i wished it will come true they will one time built it there,
i don´t understand why the most of you say thet the "song of the south theme" dosen´t work in our frontierland, woddy´s roundup work in your point but this cant work i think the most dont know what they want  :?

sorry for off-topic:
but the same was with the ToT, years ago everyone want it and like it and now few month befor they begun to built it nobody like it thats so funny  =D>

now back to splash i think the area critter corall would be fine in a lil toony style with splash mountain as the original but different as in the us parks, and put woody´s roundup and toy story mania in a western style in this area and everything is wonderful. thats what i think about it   :D

The Butlin Boy

Thanks for your compliments guys, you can tell I watched The Jungle Book last night can't you :lol:

david

I think splash mountain would be a brilliant addition; but i really would like it if they changed the theme (though i haven't actually seen or ridden splash) - it looks a bit cheesy and cutsie. Too make it blend in and fit with the frontierland aesthetic, they could  quite easily adapt it to be more rocky and btm like.

I don't know who it was, but on one of the other boards someone had a great idea of having splash mountain being an indian sacred ground which is the new home of the thunder bird which flew away from thunder mountain after the mine was built. The rest of the ride could maybe feature an indian village, a burial ground, and the bird itself could be seen before the drop. Or (I possibly going a bit too far here) the bird could fly up the hill climb before the drop, flying over the heads of the riders, and then swooping out of the exit top of the hill- triggering thunderous sound and lightning effects (it could be suspended from the ceiling and be pulled upwards, swinging into a hidden compartment  at the top of the climb where it then travels back unseen to the base of the climb to do it again for the next log (or whatever)

lil-shawn

QuoteI don't know who it was, but on one of the other boards someone had a great idea of having splash mountain being an indian sacred ground which is the new home of the thunder bird which flew away from thunder mountain after the mine was built. The rest of the ride could maybe feature an indian village, a burial ground, and the bird itself could be seen before the drop. Or (I possibly going a bit too far here) the bird could fly up the hill climb before the drop, flying over the heads of the riders, and then swooping out of the exit top of the hill- triggering thunderous sound and lightning effects (it could be suspended from the ceiling and be pulled upwards, swinging into a hidden compartment at the top of the climb where it then travels back unseen to the base of the climb to do it again for the next log (or whatever)

I don´t know what to think about that!

i think when they will built one time splash it have to be like the original just a litle different, maybe a other layout vor the trak or something like this...

most of the americans dont know the movie either, the older one and the disney fans know it but not the youngest. the same is with the twiligt zone, not everyone know it, the older one and the disney fans know it but thats all, and what they built?! the twilight zone tower of terror! so i think it dosent matter if everyone knows the movie, when they built it in the song of the south theme everyone will ride this attraktion, because its a nice, popular and funny ride with a good story...

the next question is did no one ride the pirates of the caribbean because there was no movie before?? :-"
the same is with pig thunder mountain and haunted mansion or phantom manor, now we havo movies of the rides...

i hope you dont understand me wrong, i like a lot of your ideas!!
sorry for my bad english  :oops:

david

I had no idea splash mountain was based on a movie! (from the looks of the ride, and seeing as how ive never heard of it; i guess its pretty shocking) :?
It's just the whole cheesy cutsie thing isnt really a european thing (thats just a sweeping generalisation mind you) - look at what they did for phantom manor- they made it more sinister and gothic both in storyline, ride and exterior so as to appeal to european tastes. I would much rather they did this sort of thing with splash

Kristof

I have posted this before on the message board some time ago, but it won't hurt repeating.  

So I did some research on Cottonwood Creek, the area that holds the Frontierland Depot, Critter Corral and Chapparal Theater (and the planned location for Splash Mountain).  It turns out that Cottonwood Creek is an existing area in the United States and is very well known for its agriculture and ... mountains!  If you look at pictures from the area, it's a no-brainer that this is something the Imagineers knew as well and probably had a story worked around the mountain / western theme.

The reserve at Cottonwood Creek: http://www.mountainprimrose.com/

davidrsykes, have you ever ridden a Splash Mountain?  There's no need to bash it for its Song of the South theme, it really works.  And the music is great too.

david

hey thats pretty cool! i havent ridden or even seen splash mountain in real life (only seen pictures)

Japper

Sorry to bump up this topic, but in this hot summerdays you really can say that their is need for splash mountain! Their isn't really something else to get wet in!