Splash Mountain

Started by Owain, October 30, 2006, 05:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

I know Tokyo's Splash Mountain and DCA's Grizzly River Run both have systems that can switch between "Winter" and "Summer" modes, so the issue of getting wet wouldn't really be a problem.

I think a bigger problem for this ride would be the story and theme - there's no way they'd use Brer Rabbit and friends again, and they'd probably need something to fit into the general Frontierland story.  Back in the early 90s they all loved Splash enough to forget that, I think.  It's a shame they didn't try to make Home on the Range more successful.

They could mix it with the old Geyser Mountain idea and have it set up like a flooded gold mine, maybe the forerunner to BTM, the one they all abandoned when the "curse" got it?  They could even change the drop into a bit more of a Water Coaster set-up, and maybe even have the logs launched slightly up the lift hill and then glide over the top, as if a dynamite blast has pushed them up?  I think I (and other people) posted ideas like this years ago on DLP.info... we liked the name "White Water GoldRUSH". :D

You'd still need to create some new characters then though, that could be up there with the bride of PM or the pirates of POTC...

penfold12

I like that idea Baloo. As you say, they wont be using Song of the south as the theme I wouldnt think , after all, they wont even release the movie anymore because of its "racist" themes.

The only thing is, its the themeing that sets Slash Mountain aside. I mean, its a log flume. A good one, but what makes it great is the theming. It would be fantastic if a new version could be themed around a Disney classic, and use the songs from that movie.

As you say Home on the Range, had it been more sucessful (and better), would of been ideal with music by Alan Menkin. Im trying to think of another Disney classic that lends itself to the idea.....

Dlrpfan

i really like the idea too!
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

Lordofthemightybeasts

It's been 12 years since Disneyland Paris got a proper new ride, and I think the most likely would be Splash Mountain or Indiana Jones Adventure.

However, I do not think this will happen for quite a while yet, as Disney are spending all of their new attractions budget trying to fix the disasterous Walt Disney Studios. But, you never know...

The thing about building an Indiana Jones Adventure, Disney have kind of shot themselves in the foot with Space Mountain Mission 2. The public have already been tricked into thinking there was a new attraction, so if they try to market 'Indiana Jones', most people will assume its another pointless re-vamp(backwards again, perhaps?).

-b-e-n-9-5-

If there was a Splash Mountain In DLRP then the only problem is in the winter when it would be too cold, but it would attract a lot of visitors to the park and splash mountain doesn't take lots of space at all, Maybe if they do what they do with Casey Jr. And close it in the Winter say january to febuary?
Where Magic Lives

Sigton

Quote from: "djdisney1"If there was a Splash Mountain In DLRP then the only problem is in the winter when it would be too cold

That's not a problem, each time i have rode it i've only had water on the face (and a bit on the hair)

DisneyParksFan

Quote from: "Sigton"That's not a problem, each time i have rode it i've only had water on the face (and a bit on the hair)

Yeah, I believe that Splash Mountain and The Jurassic Park Ride at Universal Studios were designed so that when you plumet down, you only get hit with a layer of mist instead of a blast of water.

Note: At least at WDW's Splash Mountain, when you are traveling along the bottom of the chute, sometimes when the logs go slidding down and hits the water, the water at the bottom of the drop gets thursted up and then over onto the passing logs. It's always a fun game though to see if your log will get hit with the water  ;)

~DisneyParksFan

dlrpdudette

i don't think that getting wet would be a problem too much, seeing as many english theme parks (thorpe park, alton towers, chessington, etc) have log flumes and it can get mighty chilly (i nearly went to thorpe park when it snowed last week) but also with a "splash control" system, splash could be minimized enough to have an effect, but not soak the rider. Also, a lot of judgement would go also to the rider, if they don't want to get wet at all, simply you just don't go on.

Also, for the theming, somewhere (quite a while ago) i read about an idea about a researcher who had a mining machine and mined into the rock and then something happened, although that is pretty vague. Or to ride with the "curse" theme of BTM, as mensioned previously, you could travel into a flooded mine and then be spat back out by the curse
July 2001 - Disneyland Resort CA - Offsite ~ August 2004 - DLRP - Santa Fe ~ March 2006 - DLRP - Cheyenne ~ January 2007 - DLRP - Sequoia Lodge ~ August 2007 - WDW and USF - Offsite ~ June 2008? - DLRP? - Santa Fe?

Owain

I was just looking at Photos of California's Splash Mountain, i just wish that we had one to !  :(

tubbsy

They called always do a Woody's round up themed Splash Mountain. OMG :shock:  Did I really suggest that?!?!

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

Kristof

Regarding the Splash Mountain story for our park, I did some research some time ago.  Appearently Cottonwood Creek (the existing part of Frontierland were Splash Mountain is supposed to go) appears to be known in the States for its... Mountains!  

The real Cottonwood Creek

There's already a topic about the possible Splash Mountain theme here:
viewtopic.php?t=846

Dlrpfan

ooooh if this is pr planned then ill be darned hehe
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

Owain

Whats the likely Chance of DLRP getting a Splash Mountain ?

KittyVogt

ooo, i so want one! Itd be so good.
I sort of dont see the problem with brer rabbit. He's cute and they did change the ride in California Disneylands so it was a honey baby, not a tar baby.
But i guess brer rabbit doesn't fit in with the theming, but what else would?
Most of the possible ideas are to much like BTM, it'd just be a copy, only with water.  
They could always do more of a cowboy/ indian setting, although the water makes no sense whatsoever.
Damn,  i cant think of anything good.
Think, brain, think!

lil-shawn

So hey folks, A friend was for a couple of days at DLRP and she saw on the left side at the railroad station in frontierland that they build there something she ask me for Splash Mountain but i didnĀ“t know anything so my question to u is do anyone know more about it??

i think it would be greate when they build splash mountain as the secret attraction they talk about for 2009