Tragedy at Explorer's Hotel

Started by ford prefect, December 22, 2008, 09:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PetiteSirene

No problems  :)  internet messages can be misleading sometimes.

I cant even begin to imagine how his twin brother is feeling, and so close to their birthday too  :cry:

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

Willow

Firstly, I'd like to send my Condolences to the child's family who would have been looking forward to a great holiday and Christmas. I'd like to mention this first as its the most important thing before I talk about the other aspects.

Secondly, this is just another example for me of poor Health and Safety on the Continent (I'm not talking specifically about DLRP). I've stayed at the Explorers Hotel on a number of visits since it opened in 2003 and not once have I seen a Lifeguard on duty at the pool, its not acceptable for a World Class Resort even if the hotel is not owned by Disney.
The pool isn't huge but during Peak season it would be full of small children any of which could easily have an accident in the same way.

Finally, I think is it right for media outlets to link this accident with Disney, it happened on their site and they should be doing their very best to ensure that none of their guests should be exposed to uncessary risks. I honestly wouldn't feel safe in a swimming pool without a professional supervising. I think Disney should take note on a lot of safety precautions used by the UK parks be it on rides or in hotel swimming pools.

Anthony

Just saw this on one of those annoying BBC Three news updates. Tragic, yeah. :(

It's hard to know who's at blame. The child was autistic, the parents let him play and took their eye of him, a swimming pool was nearby...? It's a horrible way to learn you're not safe just because you're on holiday.

They showed video of the hotel at least, unlike this ridiculous Sky News article. I'll echo, why oh why is there need to include a photo gallery of the park?! Or use the Castle and Minnie Mouse as the lead image? This isn't me as a DLRP fan speaking by the way, it's me as someone just looking at the news and seeing how absurd their reporting is. It just wouldn't have the same effect as a story if the Disneyland connection wasn't there. It's the age-old "holiday tragedy", the tabloid favourite.

The hotel is owned and operated by Thomas Cook. None of these articles explicitly mention that. I agree somewhat with what Willow just posted ^^ actually, I don't think some of these hotels always realise where they are. I hope Euro Disney SCA have the power to give Thomas Cook a bit of a stern warning (at the very least) for letting this happen.

To be honest I also feel it's strange that this happened on Thursday and the boy unfortunately died on Saturday, yet it's only in the news now. I'd hate to think this family are having their awful tragedy splashed across the news just to grab ratings and fill a bit of the Christmas news void. I feel for them twice over.

smurfy74

People seem to relax and do things they never would do at home when on holiday, and this story is so sad as they went for such a special time for the family. I think its a sad fact that we have so many health and safety regs here in the uk which means people dont take care of themselves as if they get hurt its someone elses fault. Ive just employed a guy from luxembourg at work and he finds the whole health and safety thing over the top, which i have to agree. i bought a bag of chocolate covered nuts the other day and on the pack it said - warning contains nuts- well what a stupid statement or when you buy a drink tea or coffee from some stores and theres a hot liquid warning!!!!!! im not saying anything bad about the parents just to be clear as my prayers are with them. just i think the continent have the health and safety balance correct, unfortunately we have gone the american way where law suit heaven has reigned supreme.

ColdSun

that's horrible...my heart goes out to the family.Hope they can find the strength to carry on, especially over Christmas and their son's birthday...

seanmartina

Our thoughts are with the family at this time, the family are from our hometown of Derry, and i cant start to imagine the pain the family are going through. All the time me and my daughter and wife go, its always full of joy and happiness of the thoughts of our visit and the happy times ahead, we could never even think in a million years something as tragic as this could ever happening..... we would just like to extend our sympathy to the family..

phantom247

Thomas Cook should be severly repremanded by Disney and the local goverment agencies while open access is provided a lifegard should have been on duty at all times when outside pool opening hours a metal screen should be pulled across to prevent any acidental entry by a child or a drunk adult guest.

TowMater

I went in the pool several times at the Explorer's Hotel the last time I was at DLRP and there wasen't any lifeguards on the entrance of the slides, On my first night I wanted a ride on the dragon slide and it was blocked by a whole gang of kids so I had to climb back (Not exactly the best thing to do but what was I supposed to do? Get in trouble as well when me and others are innocent?) to the entrance of the slide and go down stairs to tell the staff member by the lockers, He said he will do something about it but did when he saw the kids come out of the slide which was like 90 minutes later.

So they should hire more lifeguards in the future.
"To all who come to his happy place, Welcome" - Walt Disney

Previous Disney Visits

DLRP  | May 2001           |Newport Bay
WDW  | October 2004    | Calabry Parc Villas
WDW  | October 2006    | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | May 2008          | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | August 2008      | All Star Movies
DLRP   | November 2008 | Explorers Hotel
WDW  |August 2009       |Pop Century