Drinking water

Started by learning-the-ropes, June 25, 2015, 03:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

learning-the-ropes

Hi, I'm going to DLP for the first time in July, staying in Dream Castle. Is it safe to drink the tap water from the rooms bathroom or should it be boiled first. Many thanks in advance

Mileto

We haven't tried the water in the hotel, because our bottles are always full of water taken from the places in the park.

There are many of these fountains in the two parks, so we fill up and never end the day without water:

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

learning-the-ropes

Many thanks for your reply. Those fountains look cool, I take it that's what they look like. 👍 Maybe I'll take several empty bottles with us and fill up before we leave the park. 4 of us and if it's hot we'll need lots of fluids. I do wonder about the tap water though

bp_serene

We drank the tap water in the hotel, it tasted the same as the water in the drinking fountains in my opinion. No upset tummies so thinking it's fine!

learning-the-ropes

Oh, that's brill. Very helpful thank you

HildeKitten

In hotels and assorted, if it's not specifically marked as water you can't drink, you should be able to drink it without problems :)

LotsoHugginBear

Quote from: learning-the-ropes on June 25, 2015, 03:20:49 PM
Is it safe to drink the tap water from the rooms bathroom or should it be boiled first.

Ehm... you are in France not somewhere in the deepest wildest edge of the world! So, don't worry! the water would be any better or worse than the water at your hometown.

DisneyRon

Well to be honest, it is worse than what I'm used to. :P
There was plenty of chlorine in there last September, which really ruins the taste in my opinion (and for me atleast, leads to a sore throat quite quickly).
But it's really a matter of what you're used to, it's safe enough to drink, but whether you like it or not is a different matter.

learning-the-ropes

Thanks all, you've been most helpful. I know it's only France but best to ask to be sure. At least now I know it's safe but whether it tastes any good..... well I'm looking forward to finding out.

Thanks again 👍

grovesie

Quote from: learning-the-ropes on June 26, 2015, 11:28:20 AM
Thanks all, you've been most helpful. I know it's only France but best to ask to be sure. At least now I know it's safe but whether it tastes any good..... well I'm looking forward to finding out.

Thanks again 👍

Have you thought about taking one of those super concentrated Robinsons juices? they are so small and would hide any bad tastes.

learning-the-ropes

Yes thanks, I've bought some of the Robinsons squashums in excited anticipation

Komble

We are planning on buying a few bottles of water from Val d'Europe, however, we will still use the hotel water to brush our teeth, make hot drinks etc.

Growing up my parents would always make a big fuss about not drinking the tap water in France... A couple of years ago I went on a day trip to Paris with my boyfriend and we shared a massive jug of tap water in a restaurant, haha! I felt like such a rebel, but I survived with no upset stomach so I'd do it again if needed.

samuelvictor

Quote from: Komble on June 27, 2015, 11:05:06 AM
We are planning on buying a few bottles of water from Val d'Europe

Good plan - your cheapest way will be to go to the Auchan Supermarket - I don't know if you've been before, but if not do a quick sweep round the shop first - there is a whole large section with different color signs etc that is specifically for their cheap/value stuff (rather than the cheap equivalents being next to the premium ones in our supermarkets). The stuff there is really affordable and we were never dissapointed at the quality of anything we got from that section :)

As an 80s/90s kid I certainly know that in France and Spain, tap water was very much not safe to drink when I was growing up - lots of horror stories both in the news, and from friends and family. However, since then the quality has massively improved, possibly to do with fixed safety/quality/hygeine standards in the modern EU... we've never had a problem with the tap water in Disney, central Paris or Val D'Europe anyways... as noted by others it can be a little too chlorinated for some, depending on the tolaerance of your stomach/teeth, but I imagine for most its not that bad. My kids are quite fussy but neither of them notice a difference :)

Komble

Samuelvictor, thanks so much for the tip!!!! Sounds great!

I have been to the supermarket in Val D'Europe before but never bought anything from there - your tip will come in really useful for us as we are hoping to stick to a very tight budget.

We always brushed our teeth with the tap water as kids but my parents insisted on drinking bottled water. As you said, I'm indifferent now and will drink tap if I need to - we will also use tap water in the kettle and to brush our teeth, no worries!

samuelvictor

No problem! I can't 100% remember but I think the colour scheme of the cheaper area is orange... however if you walk around the entire layout you won't be able to miss it. Its a very large area and sells almost everything you'd need, plenty of food staples, as well as cheap bottled water, milk, fruit juices, soft drinks, energy drinks, and even some pretty passable wine for 2-4 euros :) Most of them are also available in multi packs for slightly cheaper than individual bottles.

We stayed in the Adagio appartments (which have cupboards, fridge, cooker, microwave) for 2 weeks and discovering this cheap area meant we could eat and drink whatever we wanted and still have plenty of Disney spending money! ;)