Big Thunder Mountain

Started by James6, May 02, 2010, 04:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James6

Here is a good place to discuss Big Thunder Mountain in general, or to show of pictures of the beautiful ride.

This ride is basically what started my love of parks, but also the theming and detail that goes into places like Disney. Can not wait to get back on it in July as one of my most prominent memories is repeatedly riding it in the dark! One question I have is older pictures of the ride show 2 wheels on the main train whereas now there is only one, where's the other gone :P ?

And extremely sorry if there's already a topic for this, I promise I spent ages looking for a similar topic. :)

I'm sure you guys all love this ride as much as me!
Very excited for first trip to DLRP in over 10 years! Big Thunder here we come!

RiverRogue

The second set of wheels  on the engine was removed on all Big Thunder Mountain attractions around the world a couple of years ago... This was most likely done as a precautionary measure after the 2003 accident on the ride in California.

stacey-claire

Took my little brother to dlrp, and this was his favourite ride, went on it like ten times, on the last day he made me que up outside fronteir land before it opened so he could go on it before we left, going back in december, so no doubt will be going on it another, billion times, lol, good job i like the ride, so much effort must have gone into it, when we were on the boat that goes round the moutain me and my boyfriend, were discussing how long it must have taken them to build it, we came to the conclusion a very long time lol, so cant wait to go back 20-23rd december, yayness  :cheshire_bounce:  :belle:  :santa:
xx
To see fairies, you have to belive in fairies

Santa Fe- March 2010
Cheyenne- December 2010
Next trip- July 2012 (wish we could go sooner)

DopeyDad

Best overall experience at DLRP for me, sums up what is great about the whole park. My 6yo son absolutely loves it and last year at Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween he made me take him round and round again, about 4 times in a row because it was in the dark. That was our best day at DLRP so far I think.

kelly.dylan

Quote from: "DopeyDad"Best overall experience at DLRP for me, sums up what is great about the whole park. My 6yo son absolutely loves it and last year at Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween he made me take him round and round again, about 4 times in a row because it was in the dark. That was our best day at DLRP so far I think.

I'm looking forward to our trip for halloween even more now knowing you get to ride BTM in the dark during Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party :pumpkin: .
Slightly off topic but was it really busy for the halloween party in the evening and where there many characters and things going on? :jack:
Thanks,
Kelly x
September 2007-Cheyenne
March 2009-Santa Fe
January 2010-Cheyenne
October 2010-Hotel New York
December 2010-Cheyenne
February 2011-Disneyland Hotel
October 2011-Newport Bay
December 2011-Santa Fe
August 2012-Offsite
October 2012-Explorers Hotel
December 2012-Sequoia Lodge
May 2013-Kyriad
October 2013-Kyriad
December 2013-Dream Castle
October 2014-WDW Saratoga Springs[/color]

bigrossco

when i went to DLP 2 years ago (year before they opend up Fonterland for MNSSHP to be honest with you the rides were not that busy at all, as they only sell a 'limited' number of tickets from what i beleive for this.

I am not sure how busy it will be now it is expanded with PM and BTM but I dont think it will be to busy (well no where NEAR as busy as normal park hours)

This will also be becausew with MNSSHP there will be other many things on going between the 2 lands and plenty of meet and greets as well so will be good chance for you to get on BTM without the big q's

Yes there were loads of characters and alot better chance of interacting with them and getting authographs as well as ones you may not see as much thorugh the park's normal hours.

Thy put on shows durring the night and have their own 'mini' program of what will be on, I would highly recomend MNSSHP to everyone!
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

DopeyDad

before we're told off for being off topic, the whole family loved MNSSHP last year, yes loads of characters and small acts around.  Rides like Pirates, Big thunder and Peter Pan were walk straight on, and stay on to go round again, at the beginning of the evening. Never got too busy and was masses of fun, loved it!

Martyn

Why was a brake added (a few years ago) before the exit to the final tunnel at the end of the ride?

bigrossco

Quote from: "Martyn"Why was a brake added (a few years ago) before the exit to the final tunnel at the end of the ride?

maybe to help with slowing it down altho the breaks in the tunnle sure slow it down very quick or more or less stop it
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

James6

From what I've read a lot of brakes and trims have been added throughout the whole ride which is a big shame :(
Very excited for first trip to DLRP in over 10 years! Big Thunder here we come!

Martyn

Apart from the one I mentioned above, the only other trims that I can think are; the one that 'holds' the train on the splash drop and the one that 'holds' the train on the small hill before the bend into the final lift/tunnel.

CafeFantasia

There's a great new photo of Big Thunder Mountain over on DisneyTheque.com

DLP-Photos.com

What a great ride - definetely one of my absolute favorites since I first did it back in '98 - now I really love it and I have to go on it at least once every day I am there :-)

Here are some of my favorites of my own shots of this beautiful attraction:

/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

JelleP

Wonderful pictures, forza_united :D
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

CafeFantasia

I was just thinking, what if Big Thunder Mountain had on-board audio, with a customised soundtrack? I think it would enhance the experience. I know it's a bit cliche, but what if Disney used "Dueling Banjos"? Take a listen:

[youtube:14mg50j4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z6w5j5j_xo[/youtube:14mg50j4]