Any tips for reserving restaurants on the full board plus plan?

Started by Willmouse, May 11, 2014, 06:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willmouse

I presume we will need to reserve all meals 60 days in advance but that involves deciding where you are going each day doesn't it? I've never done a dining plan before and am a bit confused as to what to do?

We are going Thursday to Monday in August and so far I have come up with this-

Thursday - lunch Annette's Diner then into Disneyland Park - need to think where to have dinner
Friday (my birthday) - back into Disneyland Park lunch undecided but dinner at Chef Mickey
Saturday- Walt Disney Studios - only place to eat is restaurant de stars? Do I need to book twice?

How do you know the best time to book for when you don't know what time the shows etc are? I've read somewhere to do the stunt car show first as it is least busy. At the moment it is at 11.45- will that change?

Am I overthinking all this??  ::)

Went to WDW for the first time in October (now have the disney bug!) and planned each day quite strategically but took picnics in an only ate in there twice so eating wasn't really an issue.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

laylanmummyluvdisney

You cant book Annettes ots just turn up on day
And you could comr out of studios to eat one or both of your meals and go back in if you didnt fancy resturant de stars
Hotel New York                          September 2005
Sequioa Lodge                 June 2014
Cheyenne                   October 2015

**************next trip************
Santa Fe             September 2017

Mrsya

I'm no way an expert on this as I'm a first timer going in 7 days time... but I've been asking a lot on the topic as it seems to have taken us a long time to choose restaurants (there are so many!) and work out which are best for our times, fussy 4 year old and which take meal vouchers etc.

A few points though, you cannot make reservations for Annette's; all other reservations can be made by calling the French reservation line (dont have the numberto hand, sorry) or asking your travel agent to do it on your behalf. Reservations can also be made in person once you're there at your hotel or on Main Street at City Hall/Town hall? People have told me that reservations aren't always necessary during off peak times but seeing as your trip is in August probably best to make initial choices, check opening hours of chosen restaurants (some only open for lunch or dinner, some don't serve until 6, some close early with no warning) then book a table. These can be changed once you arrive. A few have said that they always wait until the morning and then book a table for that night but I think I'd rather be cautious and book than be wandering around looking for a table!

We'd finally decided on our choices and then we got a bargain extra two nights so now have to choose another two!

LotsoHugginBear

In August it should be possible to eat at the new Ratatouille Restaurant.

And why not have dinner at one of the hotels? Maybe at Inventions?!

daddyof2

I'm also a non-expert (first visit over 10 years ago, second visit in 3 weeks) but pick where you want to go, and if you REALLY want to eat there, call ahead. If you're not too fussed about locations or times, go with the flow. I do have good memories of Walt's and if you're in the studios, you can pop out to the Village (e.g. Annette's or Café Mickey) for lunch

Willmouse

Is it easy to come out of the Studios and go to the village for lunch then? I have no idea of walking distances.

Mrsya

I'm interested in this one too. Hard to picture things isn't it when you've not been yet?

msRavenswood

Quote from: Willmouse on May 13, 2014, 08:29:12 PM
Is it easy to come out of the Studios and go to the village for lunch then? I have no idea of walking distances.

Everything is in short walking distance. You can walk back and forth without losing too much time. For example, we usually start our day taking advantage of EMH, then when the rest of the lands open we visit our favorite rides and next we hop onto the Studios to do some of the rides there and maybe grab a fastpass, then we we go back to the Park. That's our schedule more or less in the afternoon as well, with the exception that there are also parades to watch apart for doing rides. It's a piece of cake to hop on and off from one park to the other and the Village.

BoristheSpider

You are literally in the village as you leave the Studios so it would be easy to have meals in the village then return.  The new Ratatouille area is getting a restaurant & there's a fast food restaurant as you enter the studios as well.

We didn't make any reservations until we arrived, but we went in a quiet period so it was easy to book at the hotel concierge each day.

BoristheSpider

I was wondering if Remy will still appear in Restaurant des Stars once the Ratatouille restaurant opens as I imagine he'd appear there instead?

Lucylouby

We go on Sunday and I haven't booked any restaurants.  We are happy to go with the flow a bit and will book when we get there.  When we went last time we ate in our hotel a lot, the children were young and it was easier than trying to get them back to the hotel when they were really tired after tea or doing to much tooing and froing from the hotel.   They are older this time so able to wait longer and be a bit more willing to walk back to the hotel later in the evening. 
As I remember the parks and disney village are really close together, it's just the hotels that are about a 15 min walk away, not far, (but far enough with three little ones!). So close enough to flit in and out to sort meals out if there is somewhere particular you want to eat.