What would your 3rd park look like?

Started by JMB, December 03, 2018, 07:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMB

So, lots of noise again about a third gate at DLP with rumours of doubling visitor numbers and increasing hotel rooms by a third doing the rounds.

But what would your third park look like? Get your imagineering hats on!

Jules Verne

Ah the age old question, also a very hard one.

I honestly can't think of what park they could make, i think i remember plans for a DLP version of EPCOT. Though I love EPCOT I know its not the most popular park.

The only thing I can think of is something like Disney Sea, a completely original park design or (and this feels like a big push) a water park.

I'm not 100% sure DLP needs another theme park or more accommodation, I think a constant problem with DLP is that the parks have not had enough rides and too much accommodation.

My most out there would be to get the licensing for a Universal Studios park. With the addition of rides like Harry Potter, Transformers and the development of Nintendo land this would be different enough from the other Disney parks to pull more people into Paris for a long weekend or week instead of the average 2 weeks people do in Orlando when you can do half of everything but I don't see Disney doing that at all just a fan boys dream  :P 

Goudurix

I would love to see a park with a theme similar to Toontown, but with a European twist.

It could be largely based on the Duckburg comics that are massively popular on the continent. It's become a tradition for me to buy Disney duck comics whenever I'm on holiday in Europe and there's such a wealth of material in them that the Imagineers could draw from. It would also increase visitor numbers from countries like Germany, Austria, The Netherlands and the Scandinavian nations where the comics are particularly popular. The park could also incorporate elements of Ducktales too.

Because the Disney duck comics don't have a presence in the UK, I could see the park also including an area and attractions based on The Muppets which would appeal more to British guests, as they've always been popular here due to the original Muppet Show being a British made series.

Rocketeer

^Excellent call on Duckburg. Plenty they could do with that in the parks - especially with the new series having an over arching storyline.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Jules Verne

Quote from: Goudurix on December 10, 2018, 04:31:42 PM
I would love to see a park with a theme similar to Toontown, but with a European twist.

It could be largely based on the Duckburg comics that are massively popular on the continent. It's become a tradition for me to buy Disney duck comics whenever I'm on holiday in Europe and there's such a wealth of material in them that the Imagineers could draw from. It would also increase visitor numbers from countries like Germany, Austria, The Netherlands and the Scandinavian nations where the comics are particularly popular. The park could also incorporate elements of Duck tales too.

Because the Disney duck comics don't have a presence in the UK, I could see the park also including an area and attractions based on The Muppets which would appeal more to British guests, as they've always been popular here due to the original Muppet Show being a British made series.

These are fascinating ideas, i also had no idea that the Muppet Show was made in the UK.
I forget that the Disney Duck comics are popular in mainland Europe, this is something that Disney should keep in mind, as i understand it is very popular and crosses generations and even a small presence could be good for drawing people in

LeeleeSTAR

I would like to see a more cartoony park with a toon town vibe.  They don't really have this anywhere st DLP with the exception.  Themeing and rides based on the cartoon elements.

JMB

Some great ideas and my ideal would be something of a combination.  I feel that WDS should be given over to Marvel, Star Wars and any other live action IP, Indiana Jones for example, along with Pixar.

I would then put 'modern' IPs into a third park - Frozen, Moana etc alongside the Toontown idea.  Plus I'm stealing with pride the muppets land idea, absolutely love that.

Keeping Disneyland Park traditional, maybe with a couple of additions, Splash Mountain with some warm water magic moving into Temple du Peril area (now relocated to WDS) and maybe Jungle Cruise in the same area.

Anyone got a spare €4bn?

Leo Leonardo

There are persistent rumours of a Villains park at Disney World... why not here at DLP?

catempireftw

I would personally like a world showcase style park, but with continents or regions as lands. You could have a Norway/ Sweden area with Thor and the little mermaid, or a central Asian area with expedition Everest and Mulan or even an African themed area with the jungle book and black panther, etc etc. It would allow dlp to have some cloned rides from AK, DCA and Epcot as well, providing some of the best rides in those parks to European Disney fans.

However, it's probably most likely Disney would want to build a park with single IP immersive lands. Mind you an open theme like the world would probably be ideal for that.

Spacepilot

I would envision a third gate like this: immersive lands with at least 2 big attractions per land all based on mysteries and high cultures, but not like "single ip' lands, but unique lands with more or less loose referenced ips in it: Something like world showcase meets Disneysea:
Northern area: Thor, Vikings, Asgard, Mysteries like Stonehenge, Loch Ness, passage to inner earth
Asian area, also with Everest attraction
Desert Egypt/Atlantis waterfalls area with pyramids and portals to different worlds of the ancient gods:
for example Ra pyramid coaster, Atlantis, Treasure planet port, Pandora, planet grid (Tron) also with passage to Asgard from northern area

JMB

With the now confirmed acquisition of Fox, does anyone have opinions on IPs from them entering the parks?  Good and bad?

Spacepilot

To be honest, everything except Pandora from Fox and maybe Ice age which could work as part of an Antarctica theming seems boring to me.
X-men maybe, but that should go to the studios imo.

If Disney could get the theme park rights to lord of the rings, they had something to rival Harry Potter

Or something which just comes to mind, Nutcracker realm and a 'Merlin' land (Disney is working on a movie and possible franchise based on the 12 books by TA  Barron)

Jules Verne

Quote from: JMB on December 12, 2018, 03:33:36 PM
Some great ideas and my ideal would be something of a combination.  I feel that WDS should be given over to Marvel, Star Wars and any other live action IP, Indiana Jones for example, along with Pixar.

I would then put 'modern' IPs into a third park - Frozen, Moana etc alongside the Toontown idea.  Plus I'm stealing with pride the muppets land idea, absolutely love that.

Keeping Disneyland Park traditional, maybe with a couple of additions, Splash Mountain with some warm water magic moving into Temple du Peril area (now relocated to WDS) and maybe Jungle Cruise in the same area.

Anyone got a spare €4bn?

I think this all sounds like a great idea, it would balance out the parks nicely and give each park lands with a nice cohesive theme. I think DLP visitors would really appreciate this and if Disney invested the pay off would be high and potentially the best Disney resort. 

Jules Verne

Quote from: Spacepilot on May 12, 2019, 04:41:01 PM
To be honest, everything except Pandora from Fox and maybe Ice age which could work as part of an Antarctica theming seems boring to me.
X-men maybe, but that should go to the studios imo.

If Disney could get the theme park rights to lord of the rings, they had something to rival Harry Potter

Or something which just comes to mind, Nutcracker realm and a 'Merlin' land (Disney is working on a movie and possible franchise based on the 12 books by TA  Barron)

I'd adore a lord of the rings land but Disney are all about their own IP's now. Though i can see Universal picking this up. I've always though it was a shame Warner Brothers haven't made a large scale Disney/Universal park, at least in California. They have all the IP and branding to do it.

I like the idea of a Nutcracker/Merlin park. A park based on myths, ancient civilisations and classic literature could be on par with Disney Sea   

Rocketeer

Of the existing parks; DisneySea would be top of my list. Of the proposed parks, WestCOT would certainly be a contender.

Sadly though, its unlikely. You'd probably be looking at €2bn+ to build either of them.

And, going on a little detour, what about adding a Skyliner to get guests to and from the existing parks and the new. You could have one station by the World of Disney store and have it loop past the Newport Bay and over to the 3rd gate.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney