Skyway Gondolas for WDW (rumour)

Started by Rocketeer, February 15, 2017, 08:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

QuoteThis one is a bit wacky, but according to recent permits filed by the Walt Disney World, it seems that a Skyway-type gondola transportation system may be installed to transport guests between Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios (as well as a few resort hotels in between).

If the buildings on the permits are indeed for stations, the system would include stops at Epcot's International Gateway, Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, a shared station at the Pop Century and Art of Animation Resorts, and Disney's Hollywood Studios.
-WDWNT

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

TVPaulD

I think this would be great. It's a lot cheaper than building more monorail track, but it retains the feeling of being a more special way to travel than a bus. The nostalgia factor just makes that even stronger - they would be mad not to call it the Walt Disney World Skyway.

norhel

If it happens, it would be interesting to see how the final product will be.
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

Rocketeer

Well according to Disney&More....

QuoteAccording to D&M sources, apparently it WON'T BE a "Skyway Gondolas" Transportation System Between Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios, but "Water Ways Gondolas":
"It will use the existing water ways and will be basically just boats.
Nothing fancy and last I heard there will be an extra charge for this as it will be more like "private" water transportation. They may drop the extra charge. nothing has been made public yet.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Remco K.

More than a year later, we've now all learned that it'll be a sky way called Disney Skyliner.

Some interesting pics were posted by WDW Magic in the past few months.

Rocketeer

First gondola car has been installed on the cable. Guess it's sitll a way off from testing but it's getting closer.

Rumour has it that, if successful, the system will be extended to Blizzard Beach, Animal Kingdom Park & Lodge and Disney Springs.

Qscout

I think this has been far too long coming.

I always felt that so many buses were inefficient, costly and bad for the environment. Always thought they should look at extending monorails, or have something like this throughout the world.

Looking forward to riding it and seeing the views it will offer!
Kyriad Apr 08
Hotel Cheyenne Dec 09
Hotel Santa Fe Apr 11
Pop Century WDW Apr 17
Hotel Cheyenne Sep 17
Newport Bay Apr 18
Hotel New York Dec 18
Coronado Springs WDW Apr 19
Newport Bay Dec 19
Newport Bay Sep 20 Covid  Cancelled
Newport Bay Dec 21 ???